The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Homeowner Questions

Hi everyone

I’m looking for a second opinion here. I’m planning to buy a house here in Jacksonville. I found a house for a good price in a nice area, although, of course it’s not perfect after my inspection with Grays Inspection here in Jax. I’m wondering if any of y’all can chime in and/or advise if these should be deal breakers on the house.

Attached photos from inspection report below
Attached Images

ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Cracks in the foundation are a big deal. Is there a basement? I'd look at the potential repair costs and take that off the asking price. Real estate has been pretty hot in Ontario, not sure about Florida, but don't be pressured into buying a pos just because 5 other people want it.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Its hard to see from the scale of the pictures. Are the foundation cracks in one area? How old is the house? One of the cracks look like the foundation is block the others poured concrete, so is there an addition to the house or is it a garage? The cracks are not a good thing, but hard to say from a pictures whether it is a deal breaker. Need someone knowledgeable to look at it in person.

The ac stuff isn't a big deal, although you might negotiate it getting fixed as part of the price.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Cracks in the foundation are a big deal. Is there a basement? I'd look at the potential repair costs and take that off the asking price. Real estate has been pretty hot in Ontario, not sure about Florida, but don't be pressured into buying a pos just because 5 other people want it.
We don’t have basements in Florida due to the water table, I sent a counter offer to the seller about the foundation crack concerns and getting them fixed. The house is 35 years old, the owner now bought the house from someone that completely rebuilt the interior and rebuilt the exterior to an extent, I’m assuming mostly cosmetic. I’m like “wait a minute here”.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Its hard to see from the scale of the pictures. Are the foundation cracks in one area? How old is the house? One of the cracks look like the foundation is block the others poured concrete, so is there an addition to the house or is it a garage? The cracks are not a good thing, but hard to say from a pictures whether it is a deal breaker. Need someone knowledgeable to look at it in person.

The ac stuff isn't a big deal, although you might negotiate it getting fixed as part of the price.
Definitely going to do so. The cracks are only in a small section on the right side of the house
Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
The foundation is a dealbreaker for sure. I'd be walking. With the air handler notes too, I'd bet theres mold
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
This is not the place to be getting advice on something as important as buying a house. Talk to LOCAL experts.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
The foundation is a dealbreaker for sure. I'd be walking. With the air handler notes too, I'd bet theres mold
Yeah I’m skeptical for sure, like foundation is important shiz lol.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
This is not the place to be getting advice on something as important as buying a house. Talk to LOCAL experts.
You right, I am, although I like to always have like 5 opinions cause I’m insane lmao
Old 07-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Foundations are important, but it's also not that unusual for a house that is 35 years old to have some settlement and cracking in foundations. It will likely be many years before it causes in real problems and can be fixed if it does. But I agree, someone else needs to see it in person, I'm just speculating on photos that I can barely see.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I live in Florida so I know there about 5 Basements ( joking, there are more, but very rare) and I know you don't have one.

How Old is the House?

On Slab or Crawl Space under the house.

How close to the Beach or Rivers in Jax?

I have a 75 Year Old House with Crawl Space in Tampa that settled a long time ago and I fixed the Cracks 20 years, and I doubt anyone could find them.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Foundations are important, but it's also not that unusual for a house that is 35 years old to have some settlement and cracking in foundations. It will likely be many years before it causes in real problems and can be fixed if it does. But I agree, someone else needs to see it in person, I'm just speculating on photos that I can barely see.
Definitely going to talk to the inspector and talk to a foundation expert here in Jax. Don’t want to buy a POS lol
Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #13
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I live in Florida so I know there about 5 Basements ( joking, there are more, but very rare) and I know you don't have one.

How Old is the House?

On Slab or Crawl Space under the house.

How close to the Beach or Rivers in Jax?

I have a 75 Year Old House with Crawl Space in Tampa that settled a long time ago and I fixed the Cracks 20 years, and I doubt anyone could find them.
It’s 35 years old with no crawl space or basement. It’s on a slab it’s in Argyle Forest near Orange Park
Old 07-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #14
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
as far as the heating and cooling part of your inspection goes, i wouldn't be too concerned with what the inspector found. The "air leaking" at the top of the air handler can be fixed with a little metal silver tape (100mph tape). i wouldn't be concerned with the condensate line condensing, that is usually sch 40 pvc pipe. The outdoor unit missing the armaflex (foam insulation) around the lineset (copper pipe) isn't that dig of a deal either in that short of a distance. Ive been in the HVAC field for over 20 years. we do alot of apartments and the ACs are on the roof and 99% of them are missing the insulation and the lines are 5-10ft long.

with that said, id still walk away from that house. A cracked foundation is just asking for future problems.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote