Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #127
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Not when you market it as the most track capable Mustang ever. Even the base SS Camaro comes standard with trans, oil and diff coolers. They shouldn't expect the base or tech cars to run hours at 10/10ths, but 15 minutes in cool weather is too much? I wouldn't be happy with that.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #128
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I don't understand how Ford could make it right. These buyers bought the non-tracking street car version of the car and expect it to track well? There is nothing to make right, they knew what they bought.
Except every GT350 is marketed as a track capable car by Ford but it cannot do a basic HPDE session without the coolers installed. You could go rent a GT from Hertz and have no issues except to maybe do brake fluid change to Dot4 and not go into limp mode, with the tech or base GT350 this is not possible from what we are learning. I guess we should be very pleased that Al.O and team Camaro has always seen fit to install the basic necessary equipment standard in our cars even while a few here but mostly other forums experts elsewhere say it was overkill on the SS.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #129
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Not when you market it as the most track capable Mustang ever. Even the base SS Camaro comes standard with trans, oil and diff coolers. They shouldn't expect the base or tech cars to run hours at 10/10ths, but 15 minutes in cool weather is too much? I wouldn't be happy with that.
They don't. The ONLY GT350 trim level marketed as the most track-capable Mustang is the GT350R. Find me one piece of marketing material from Ford that states otherwise.

Last edited by titanfan; 03-02-2016 at 09:19 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #130
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
They don't. The ONLY GT500 trim level marketed as the most track-capable Mustang is the GT350R. Find me one piece of marketing material from Ford that states otherwise.
Fair enough, they market the R as the most track capable Mustang ever. Still, they call it a GT350, which is well known as a track Mustang.

I don't remember seeing anything about overheating issues with the BOSS 302. Supposedly you own a GT350 or two. Do you think it's acceptable for a track oriented Mustang to overheat after 10 minutes on the track?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #131
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Fair enough, they market the R as the most track capable Mustang ever. Still, they call it a GT350, which is well known as a track Mustang.

I don't remember seeing anything about overheating issues with the BOSS 302. Supposedly you own a GT350 or two. Do you think it's acceptable for a track oriented Mustang to overheat after 10 minutes on the track?
The Boss 302 would overheat with the stock "oil cooler"...when that was removed it did fine.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #132
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
They don't. The ONLY GT500 trim level marketed as the most track-capable Mustang is the GT350R. Find me one piece of marketing material from Ford that states otherwise.
I've not seen anything official from Ford, but you will find multiple media outlets using that phrase with just "GT350". Confusion always ensures with you have to add a package to a car to get the performance talked about in headlines. Not sure I would blame Ford, but obviously someone should have done better market research and buyer education.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #133
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:

GT350 is a trim with different options based on what you want to do with it. They have the track capable version, the comfortable street version, and the base.

Nobody buys a base pickup truck and then gets angry when they can't tow the Titanic with it. Every car has it's limits and it's intended uses.

If the track pack cars were over heating, then that would be a real issue.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #134
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
GT350 is a trim with different options based on what you want to do with it. They have the track capable version, the comfortable street version, and the base.

Nobody buys a base pickup truck and then gets angry when they can't tow the Titanic with it. Every car has it's limits and it's intended uses.

Have you ever been on a car forum? Complaining about things you should know about a car before buying it is one of the number one types of threads lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #135
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
It's a serious enough issue that Ford has changed the basic package going forward....just as GM was beaten up with their past issues it's now Fords time in the spotlight...so to speak.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #136
Bhobbs

Quote:

Well, the GT350 isn't the base car. The name implies track performance. Everything about the car is geared for track performance, except for the cooling system.

The truck comparison would work if the base F150 came with a bed but you if you actually put something in there, it would bend the frame and saying "if you want to use the bed of the truck, you need the HD version".

Obviously, it is an issue or Ford wouldn't have made the track pack standard for all future GT350s.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #137
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
They don't. The ONLY GT350 trim level marketed as the most track-capable Mustang is the GT350R. Find me one piece of marketing material from Ford that states otherwise.
The official GT350 brochure states:

"Carroll Shelby created his original 1965 GT350 to achieve ultra-quick lap times on road courses - exactly what the men and women at Ford Performance did with this new GT350."

Notice that it didn't state GT350 with the track pack or GT350R.

Also the Ford.com website states:

"• Braking
The foundation of any sports car is undoubtedly the brakes; therefore, brakes are a major part of the GT350 magic. So we teamed front and rear Brembo® with cross-drilled, two-piece, highly-engineered brake rotors. The huge 395mm (15.5”) rotors up front and 376mm (14.8”) rotors in the back complete this tight, hard working system that gives GT350 its well-earned track cred."

Notice the last sentence? The brakes give the GT350 its well-earned track cred.

It also states:

"• Aerodynamics
Balancing downforce with aerodynamic drag is always one of the biggest challenges a team of car designers can face. But Ford did it with a unique, detailed approach that centered on making it imperative that every single component play a major part in the total overall performance of the system. It’s a very hard thing to pull off, but our team of designers and engineers wouldn’t settle for less. So it’s not just that the GT350 has wider aluminum front fenders and a unique aluminum hood. It’s also that the front and rear fascias, splitter, rockers and rear valance with integrated diffuser all work together as a team – each and every one of them. And only as a team working together can this system keep the beautiful, powerful, exciting and intimidating GT350 racer pressed firmly to the track."

Again, notice the last sentence? The intimidating GT350... firmly to the TRACK. Not road, not driveway, not airport runway, not outer space. TRACK! And nothing states or even implies that you need the track pack or R version.

Another quote from the Ford website:

"What truly sets this Beast apart is that the Shelby GT350® isn’t just a combination of “go fast” parts ­– any tuner can build one of those. The GT350 is a specifically engineered machine, where the components work dynamically together as one and perform to a world-class level on all fronts, as well as meeting Ford durability standards"

So the GT350 meets the "Ford durability standards", which apparently anyone would be a fool to assume includes not overheating on the warm-up lap of an HPDE event in cool weather without the optional coolers, even though most all the other cars in the world can.

The page for the 2015 GT350 NEVER mentions the term "GT350R". Here's the link:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/201...#page=Feature4

They were clearly promoting the GT350 as a track capable car. Who builds a track capable car that isn't track capable unless you get additional options? That is like selling a pickup truck that you can't put a grain of sand in the bed unless you get an additional "haul stuff in the bed" package.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #138
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
I'm in awe this thread is still trolling....the GT350 was pronounced pointless with the release of the 6th gen.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #139
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
I'm in awe this thread is still trolling....the GT350 was pronounced pointless with the release of the 6th gen.
That's not my opinion. Assuming that the cooling issue gets fixed, the GT350 looks like it would be a lot of fun on a road course. I would love to drive one sometime. I respect Ford's efforts to make a high revving N/A motor and re-create the legendary GT350. I am sure it will bring a lot of car enthusiasts a great deal of enjoyment. If I was filthy rich, I would probably own one (along with a lot of other cool cars).

But, I think it is fair to say the that the folks that bought the base and tech pack GT350's have a legitimate beef that they can't get past the warm-up laps on a road course on a non-hot day without going into limp mode. Some other folks are bashing those guys saying that they should have known better. Now the question is, how will Ford respond? Time will tell...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #140
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The official GT350 brochure states:

"Carroll Shelby created his original 1965 GT350 to achieve ultra-quick lap times on road courses - exactly what the men and women at Ford Performance did with this new GT350."

Notice that it didn't state GT350 with the track pack or GT350R.

Also the Ford.com website states:

"• Braking
The foundation of any sports car is undoubtedly the brakes; therefore, brakes are a major part of the GT350 magic. So we teamed front and rear Brembo® with cross-drilled, two-piece, highly-engineered brake rotors. The huge 395mm (15.5”) rotors up front and 376mm (14.8”) rotors in the back complete this tight, hard working system that gives GT350 its well-earned track cred."

Notice the last sentence? The brakes give the GT350 its well-earned track cred.

It also states:

"• Aerodynamics
Balancing downforce with aerodynamic drag is always one of the biggest challenges a team of car designers can face. But Ford did it with a unique, detailed approach that centered on making it imperative that every single component play a major part in the total overall performance of the system. It’s a very hard thing to pull off, but our team of designers and engineers wouldn’t settle for less. So it’s not just that the GT350 has wider aluminum front fenders and a unique aluminum hood. It’s also that the front and rear fascias, splitter, rockers and rear valance with integrated diffuser all work together as a team – each and every one of them. And only as a team working together can this system keep the beautiful, powerful, exciting and intimidating GT350 racer pressed firmly to the track."

Again, notice the last sentence? The intimidating GT350... firmly to the TRACK. Not road, not driveway, not airport runway, not outer space. TRACK! And nothing states or even implies that you need the track pack or R version.

Another quote from the Ford website:

"What truly sets this Beast apart is that the Shelby GT350® isn’t just a combination of “go fast” parts *– any tuner can build one of those. The GT350 is a specifically engineered machine, where the components work dynamically together as one and perform to a world-class level on all fronts, as well as meeting Ford durability standards"

So the GT350 meets the "Ford durability standards", which apparently anyone would be a fool to assume includes not overheating on the warm-up lap of an HPDE event in cool weather without the optional coolers, even though most all the other cars in the world can.

The page for the 2015 GT350 NEVER mentions the term "GT350R". Here's the link:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/201...#page=Feature4

They were clearly promoting the GT350 as a track capable car. Who builds a track capable car that isn't track capable unless you get additional options? That is like selling a pickup truck that you can't put a grain of sand in the bed unless you get an additional "haul stuff in the bed" package.
POWNED we are unworthy..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote