Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 02-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #85
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
2017 MY will change things. There will no longer be a base GT350. All GT350's in 2017 will come with the track pack option standard.
Check post # 12. I quoted him/her. You didn't quote me lol. Make sure you quote what I said. It still won't come with carbon fiber wheels, tires, and strip interior. So a base GT350 has changes. It's still a base GT350. Now you will be able to add the tech package which makes it heavier and slower but none of the GT350R specialty parts.

Last edited by kingbambino22; 02-21-2016 at 10:12 PM.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #86
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
2017 MY will change things. There will no longer be a base GT350. All GT350's in 2017 will come with the track pack option standard.
That's because the people who bought the base and tech option 350 can't run on a track for more then 15 minutes without limp mode. Ford didn't make it clear enough for these buyers. Now they are stuck with a cruise night car only. The trans coolers are built into the trans. Not a cheap fix.
Of the 3350 total production so far 72% of all 350's do not have the track pack option. 9% base cars only were produced so far. There are a lot more in the pipe line also. No thanks Ford.
The tech cars are $57,500 MSRP with no coolers. Most people .....in a got to have it mode ...paid $67K with ADM's .That's over $15k profit for the dealer.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-01-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #87
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
That's because the people who bought the base and tech option 350 can't run on a track for more then 15 minutes without limp mode. Ford didn't make it clear enough for these buyers. Now they are stuck with a cruise night car only. The trans coolers are built into the trans. Not a cheap fix.
I don't know how the base and tech GT350 buyers didn't understand thier cars weren't track capable. The TP and R specifically add the coolers and other bits needed. You get the look and low MSRP but for street only.

The deception was discussing the track prowess of the GT350TP but always quoting the low MSRP of the base. The buyers ignored it and Ford never should have marketed the base and tech without the basic track components

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #88
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
What cracks me up are the tech buyers who are freaking out and saying their cars are "useless". You don't need to do HPDE's are lapping endlessly at Road America, MRLS or Sebring to enjoy a GT350...

Most of them are probably bench and magazine racers anyway
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #89
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
What cracks me up are the tech buyers who are freaking out and saying their cars are "useless". You don't need to do HPDE's are lapping endlessly at Road America, MRLS or Sebring to enjoy a GT350...

Ain't that the truth. Most probably spend more time at Starbucks than a track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #90
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The deception was discussing the track prowess of the GT350TP but always quoting the low MSRP of the base. The buyers ignored it and Ford never should have marketed the base and tech without the basic track components
It was clever to market the car using the word "track", and quoting the base price that did not include the components necessary to perform that duty. And it worked, but now many of the buyers who got hooked on the low price...have got a rough and tumble Mustang that can't do what it was "made for".

Truth is...the base model was made to sell. To draw people in.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Ain't that the truth. Most probably spend more time at Starbucks than a track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It's the endless desire for more. More speed, more handling, more, more, more...

Even around here; there was chatter that perhaps a new 1LE was unnecessary because the standard SS laps a track as fast or faster than the 5th gen 1LE. But now that there is one; everyone's got to have the "track car", and some people are forgetting how capable the standard SS actually is on the track.

As will probably happen when the 'Z' car is released, and everyone forgets how fast a standard SS can go in the quarter mile. Because we want more, more, more!!

I wish more people would use the "more" cars as they were designed to be used. Only then do you truly appreciate what you're sitting in.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #91
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Good point and the 2SS should keep me happy for some time. Most people haven't driven the SS yet to realize it's a hot ticket. Right there with the 16 Z51 and looks to match.
Ford wasn't smart because only 9% of cars were base models. They pissed off a lot of buyers with the two options pick one only. You can't have a track car with tech options.
As a side note I had a base 350 ordered @ MSRP and once I saw the 4.3 and 12.4 acceleration #'s I cancelled and got my $1000 back. Just not what I was expecting and ford never released any #'s either. Now I'm glad I don't have one and all the vibration that goes with this hyped up motor.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-01-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #92
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
Good point and the 2SS should keep me happy for some time. Most people haven't driven the SS yet to realize it's a hot ticket. Right there with the 16 Z51 and looks to match.
It's truly a fantastic car!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #93
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
What it looks like is a bunch of people got wrapped up in the "The most track capable Mustang ever" talk that Ford was putting out at the 2015 Detroit auto show when they revealed the GT350R. They assumed then that all GT350's were "the most track capable Mustang ever" and now an extremely entitled, vocal minority are whining and screaming, some are even threatening class action lawsuits.

That would be like someone seeing the hype for the Z/28 and assuming that a 1LE would perform exactly like it because "it's been born for the track!"
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
That would be like someone seeing the hype for the Z/28 and assuming that a 1LE would perform exactly like it because "it's been born for the track!"
It would be more like the hype about the Z/28, and then GM offers a base model without carbon brakes and no coolers......

But they didn't. I really don't understand Ford's reasoning sometimes...just as bad as the entitled/uninformed buyers are...the company put themselves into that situation, too.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #95
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I think the Base and Tech Pack GT350 owners have a legitimate beef. From what I read so far, it looks like these things are going into limp noodle mode before the tires are heated up. In fact, one guy said that he and two other GT350's had to pull off the track while they were still doing the follow the leader part of their HPDE (where everyone follows a lead car slowly to get the feel for the track before they cut you loose). AND, there were several Mustang GT's out there all day. If you buy a car purpose built for the track, even in it's most base form, it must be able to make it past the intro to the track part of the event. It is not like these guys were actually racing them on the road course.

Not to mention, it is the transmission that is heating up (at least that is the info right now), and it is a MANUAL transmission (auto is not available). How in the world is the manual trans heating up so hot when they are not even pushing the car anywhere near it's potential? I can see the automatic heating up, but the manual? Some GT350 guys are speculating that the cats are too close to the trans. This sounds like a major flaw in a track focused car to me.

On top of that, Ford didn't allow folks to choose BOTH the Track and Tech Packs together. You had to choose one or the other. So, I can see how a lot of guys thought "I will only take it to the track a couple of times a year, and I won't race, just an HPDE once in a while. Plus, I want the tech goodies. I will just get the tech pack."

Also, for '17, all GT350's come with the coolers necessary for track use. Sounds like they fixed the issue going forward, but what about the 15/16 base and tech pack cars (which looks like about 2/3 of the cars made)? For should make things right for those cars immediately.

I am willing to guess that most every car in Ford's lineup could do an HPDE without going into limp noodle mode, EXCEPT the Base and Tech Pack GT350's (the most track focused Mustang in history as marketed by Ford). All the other Mustangs can for sure.

Ouch!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #96
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I think the Base and Tech Pack GT350 owners have a legitimate beef. From what I read so far, it looks like these things are going into limp noodle mode before the tires are heated up. In fact, one guy said that he and two other GT350's had to pull off the track while they were still doing the follow the leader part of their HPDE (where everyone follows a lead car slowly to get the feel for the track before they cut you loose). AND, there were several Mustang GT's out there all day. If you buy a car purpose built for the track, even in it's most base form, it must be able to make it past the intro to the track part of the event. It is not like these guys were actually racing them on the road course.

Not to mention, it is the transmission that is heating up (at least that is the info right now), and it is a MANUAL transmission (auto is not available). How in the world is the manual trans heating up so hot when they are not even pushing the car anywhere near it's potential? I can see the automatic heating up, but the manual? Some GT350 guys are speculating that the cats are too close to the trans. This sounds like a major flaw in a track focused car to me.

On top of that, Ford didn't allow folks to choose BOTH the Track and Tech Packs together. You had to choose one or the other. So, I can see how a lot of guys thought "I will only take it to the track a couple of times a year, and I won't race, just an HPDE once in a while. Plus, I want the tech goodies. I will just get the tech pack."

Also, for '17, all GT350's come with the coolers necessary for track use. Sounds like they fixed the issue going forward, but what about the 15/16 base and tech pack cars (which looks like about 2/3 of the cars made)? For should make things right for those cars immediately.

I am willing to guess that most every car in Ford's lineup could do an HPDE without going into limp noodle mode, EXCEPT the Base and Tech Pack GT350's (the most track focused Mustang in history as marketed by Ford). All the other Mustangs can for sure.

Ouch!
You know after reading all of the problems with this new GT350, I have to wonder that even though the Boss was a bit slower than this new model, whether it is the better of the two.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #97
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
Bottom line is you shouldn't have to get a "track pack" on a car advertised as the most track capable mustang ever. Especially when you can only pick 1 of 3 all lumped into one package. I thought about the base GT350 as an option, but not so sure anymore.

I think Ford really botched this one up from the start. Coolers should have been standard on all models, and options should have been more selective instead of forcing people to pick one or the other. You think that if Ford came out and said you need the track pack to last longer than 15 mins on any given track, 72% of the buyers would still pick the tech pack?
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #98
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
Bottom line is you shouldn't have to get a "track pack" on a car advertised as the most track capable mustang ever. Especially when you can only pick 1 of 3 all lumped into one package. I thought about the base GT350 as an option, but not so sure anymore.

I think Ford really botched this one up from the start. Coolers should have been standard on all models, and options should have been more selective instead of forcing people to pick one or the other. You think that if Ford came out and said you need the track pack to last longer than 15 mins on any given track, 72% of the buyers would still pick the tech pack?
Agreed. Ford is putting the coolers on all GT350's standard going forward, but there is no word on price. But, I am guessing they won't give that stuff away for free, otherwise it will piss off all the guys that bought the track pack. They probably won't retrofit the base and tech pack cars without charging the buyer, because again, it would piss off the guys that spent the extra money on the track pack. Then even if they charge to put the coolers on, that would still piss off the track pack guys who wanted both packages, but couldn't get it. No win situation for Ford.

Also think about how this is going to effect the resale value of the base and tech pack cars, especially those that paid high ADMs!

But there is always a bright side. You may be able to pick up a used Tech Pack or base car pretty cheap soon, and add your own coolers (by then there will probably be aftermarket kits). And you will get a nice view of the rear end of the 1LE Camaro at the track!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote