The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Toyota unveils their future worst selling model.

Avalon TRD. Old news, but not surprised I missed it, was ANYONE waiting for this?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-photos-info/

And I guess I don't need to buy a ZL1 to get some sweet red seatbelts.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...hat-to-expect/
Old 04-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
That Really Is a Gigantic Wing—on a Camry

Yes, Toyota really went Fast and Furious on the Camry TRD's body kit. The most flamboyant aspect, of course, is that tall, angular rear wing—easily the most aggressive such aerodynamic (or styling) accent ever to grace a Camry. Other add-ons include the black-colored winglets around the lower-body region front and rear (with thin red piping included!) and a finned diffuser element between the tailpipes..
what tall wing (second link)...

Geez....

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Theyre trying to appeal to the younger crowd that usually goes sporty Lexus, we'll see if there is a market for it.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
At least they are making some performance oriented variants out of their, otherwise ordinary, models. Take notes GM.

IMHO, a model that makes this Toyota look like a Ferrari 458, was the Juke Nismo. Nissan slapped a Nismo badge on a subcompact crossover that was about as sporty as a chest freezer. Eh, to each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
At least they are making some performance oriented variants out of their, otherwise ordinary, models. Take notes GM.

IMHO, a model that makes this Toyota look like a Ferrari 458, was the Juke Nismo. Nissan slapped a Nismo badge on a subcompact crossover that was about as sporty as a chest freezer. Eh, to each their own.
GM is doing it with the RS package. Its the same type of thing: no real performance gains & a few cosmetic tweaks to make it look a bit more aggressive.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
GM is doing it with the RS package. Its the same type of thing: no real performance gains & a few cosmetic tweaks to make it look a bit more aggressive.
I think he meant GM needs actual performance trim models, like Toyota is now making. I was seriously thinking of moving to Passport or even RAV4 TRD for my next family hauler, but a Camry that can turn makes me curious. I like the weird cars
Old 04-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yes, I'm well aware. I'm on my second Cruze RS as my work car (a '13 and now a '17). The RS moniker has always been an appearance package for GM. Sure, the Cruze RS looks a little bit more aggressive, but there is absolutely no performance added to the package. And with the RS history, that is how it should be. Where are the performance models?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I fail to see what makes these any more of a 'real' performance model than the RS package on a Cruze or a Sonic. Normal engine, some slight tire/suspension tweaks, sporty styling add ons. Near as I can tell, they're the basically the same type of package. Maybe this goes half a step further. But its still far short of a performance model.

Now, if Toyota had done a 400 hp+ turbocharged Camry with a bunch of other stuff then I could see calling it something special & asking for more SS's in the Chevy showroom.

Or, thinking of it in another way ... I don't consider the 1LE Camaros or Grand Sport Corvettes to be performance models. They're great handling packages, no question about it. But not performance models. ZL1, Z/28, Z06, ZR1: those are the performance models.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
DRKS1D3

I respect your opinion. I agree there is no horsepower bump for this TRD, but at least it gets suspension, brake, exhaust and chassis stiffening upgrades. Adding to that, the 301hp is respectable for a ~3,500lb sedan. It's more respectable than the ~135hp in my '13 Cruze or the ~155hp in my '17 (~3,000lbs). Why not AT LEAST 200hp. if a true SS variant was not going to be offered with a more powerful engine? It is anemic at best. For this hypothetical 200hp. Cruze RS, offer true performance suspension, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, anti-roll bars, intake, catback, etc.. Simply put, a car that enjoys some spirited driving and is fun to drive. Hey, it's just my opinion.

As far as the SS 1LE and the Corvette GS not being performance models, these cars are in and of themselves, performance vehicles. If they're not performance models, I don't know what is. They both can be found under the "Performance" category on Chevy's website. At 465hp.(stock) and ~3,300lbs., my GS is no slouch. Sure, there are higher horsepower models, but they are all performance vehicles. Chevy wanted to make a $75-80k Corvette variant (GS) that could put cars to bed, costing twice as much. They passed with flying colors.

Enjoy your weekend.