Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #43
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
To start, unique components well-engineered together results in its amazing braking capabilities.
"After testing numerous brake setups, FP engineers discovered iron rotors provide improved performance and durability (and replacement costs) compared to carbon ceramic. Following several 24-hour endurance sessions, 394-milimeter front rotors (15.5") and 380-milimeter rear rotors (15.0") were chosen to provide stopping power. The two-piece rotors with large aluminum hats are assembled with an offset floating-pin system that allows for improved cooling and ventilation. Combined with atypical radially-mounted fixed-bridge 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers, these brakes experience virtually no fade in torture testing."
Lots of good details here- http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-fo...d-class-brakes

Stingray, technical question for you. The brakes used on the GT350 appear to be made by Brembo. The center hat with the pins are very unique, are these licensed only to Ford or patented by Ford? These seem like they would be a great setup for other vehicle manufactures (Chevy and Dodge) and also a direct consumer brake setup.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #44
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Alright this will come straight from the horse's mouth who has objective and subjective ownership experience with these powerplants. To start, I am VERY familiar with the LT1 as I owned two C7 Z51 Stingrays for over a year and currently have a Z06 with the LT4... I also now have a '15 GT350 Track pak. I track my Vettes extensively... very fast laps too if I may say. I have also experienced the GT350 on 9 laps at Sebring back in Oct. courtesy of a Ford Performance invite. No fanboy'ism here. I like what both manufacturers offer and they outdo each other at every iteration. Nothing new there.

On that note, I will take a GT350 anytime anyday even over a Z51 Stingray let alone a 6th gen SS (obviously both have LT1's). Why? Besides the FPC power & sound, this car is so balanced and can handle so well it's deceiving. It really shouldn't for its weight... but it feels like 500 lbs lighter than it actually is. It's just dialed in just right, spot on every apex. The steering turn in and the manner it can lay down the power is amazing. Don't get me started on the brakes... the brakes are so good it can compete with CCB's. These massive rotors and calipers are just as good or arguably better than my Z06's. That alone speaks volumes and is a key component for a total recipe to produce smooth-in and fast-out of turns, lap after lap.

All this sums up to a great performance track-bred car... it actually feels like a sports car when you drive it... pony car analogies are bygones now with this all new Shelby. Some can disagree or be in denial forever but until you actually own one and drive one on & off the track, then I'd say some of these posts are really no more than conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt. The GT350's forte isn't meant to be interpreted as a simple ruler, never was from the getgo... it's not meant to be a 1/4 mile slingshot from point a to point b. It's for the twisties.. it's for the high speed track.. it's for spirited driving, not stoplight hopping.

This is not a bash against the 6th gen SS as we can also now see that with GM's all-star parts & components ingredients, they were able to produce a well-performing and highly acclaimed car. Car of the year per M/T's pedigree (although unfortunately that testing was done before the GT350 was released for the media) just like Motor Authority was only able to match up SS vs. GT350 because a special edition 6th gen isn't out yet... if it was then the media & auto magrags will match it vis-a-vis. Duh. But for Yahoo's "Epic" car of the year and R&T's "Performance" car of the year, I'll surely concur with that accolade over & over. No Voodoo novelty here neither... this car can perform at a very high level at the track and can challenge many cars twice its price.

Top 4 finalists: 6th gen SS, RC-F, CTS-V, GT350
I was impressed with your experience in so many performance cars. I looked hard to see if you listed any experience with the 6th Gen Camaro and didn't find any. Curious how you could "from the horses mouth" compare a Camaro to the Mustang without experience driving it...just sayin.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #45
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I was impressed with your experience in so many performance cars. I looked hard to see if you listed any experience with the 6th Gen Camaro and didn't find any. Curious how you could "from the horses mouth" compare a Camaro to the Mustang without experience driving it...just sayin.
Well you have to connect the dots...he is talking about his experience with the Z51 Stingray which should be a superior performance car to the Camaro SS. Then he is saying that he would take a GT350 over that car.

I have been sort of looking longingly at the GT350 but had kind of written it off due to expected dealer markups. Today, I saw that my local dealer is only getting one GT350 and it is equipped with the fail-ass Tech Package which means it doesn't have the Track Package. Pretty much a waste of money in my eyes if you don't get a GT350 with the Track Pack (especially with the big dealer markups). I literally know the CEO of the dealership group and saw her today...she told me there's no way they're selling the thing anywhere near MSRP and she couldn't give the homie hookup even to herself for this one.
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #46
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Well you have to connect the dots...he is talking about his experience with the Z51 Stingray which should be a superior performance car to the Camaro SS. Then he is saying that he would take a GT350 over that car.

I have been sort of looking longingly at the GT350 but had kind of written it off due to expected dealer markups. Today, I saw that my local dealer is only getting one GT350 and it is equipped with the fail-ass Tech Package which means it doesn't have the Track Package. Pretty much a waste of money in my eyes if you don't get a GT350 with the Track Pack (especially with the big dealer markups). I literally know the CEO of the dealership group and saw her today...she told me there's no way they're selling the thing anywhere near MSRP and she couldn't give the homie hookup even to herself for this one.
Yep join us plebs, the GT350 are for people from another planet. Sure it is probably better, but is it 25 to 35 k better Pleb me can do headers exhaust, brakes rims tires, trinity tune, intake, cnc heads, and buy a nice olds 442 with the change... The cars are not comparable. The actual price is way off and the Ford guys keep having to use stock comparison cause with that kind of money it aint a 455 HP motor in my SS we are talking 550 plus and it aint' sock tires or brakes either. Maybe the Ford is better still dunno, in my whole life of racing I've been on only ONE road course, the rest is autoX and the drags.

Of course the guys that can spend 60K on a Mustang are going to claim it is so much better. Don't get me wrong I like the car, I'd just rather have several other toys and I'm more into engine suspension building then having some factory build it for me. I had dinner once with Carol and his daughter, I owned two GLH-S. In front of the entire Shelby club he came up and looked at my car and said it was "the best car he ever built". BTW the stuck up Shelby club would not let me join cause I did not own a "real Shelby". LOL. By then I had a full built LS1 Camaro and would eat Mustangs for the pitiful mod motor. Now that was a turkey.

Sure sure in the 21st centery cubic bucks can get you lots of things, and I respect that. I'm more apt to talk to the guy that is swapping in a set of CNC heads vs the guy with the store brought whatever.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #47
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
The GT350 is SICK, but at that cost I could not afford to track it.

With GM supplier pricing I will be able to get in a 1LE for less than 40K. As oldman said, there is just no comparing these cars when you factor in price.

The 1LE will outperform the base GT350, and for almost 10 grand less, and the base doesnt even come with the coolers etc that Ford says are required to track the car!! That will also cost you over $51K once you factor in the GG tax. What a joke!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #48
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The GT350 is SICK, but at that cost I could not afford to track it.

With GM supplier pricing I will be able to get in a 1LE for less than 40K. As oldman said, there is just no comparing these cars when you factor in price.

The 1LE will outperform the base GT350, and for almost 10 grand less, and the base doesnt even come with the coolers etc that Ford says are required to track the car!! That will also cost you over $51K once you factor in the GG tax. What a joke!
word,
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #49
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
word,
Uh oh, did I break a rule?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #50
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Uh oh, did I break a rule?
is truth against the rules? this is Merica.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #51
oldman

well the 1LE is out to my mind it is clearly "better" and probably a hole lot cheaper than a 350 real street price. Add in the mandatory track pack for the 350 I think we are looking at 43K for the 1le vs 58K before taxes
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #52
Ninjac
Banned

Drives: Something with FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
well the 1LE is out to my mind it is clearly "better" and probably a hole lot cheaper than a 350 real street price. Add in the mandatory track pack for the 350 I think we are looking at 43K for the 1le vs 58K before taxes
Perhaps. But I think some people may be surprised and disappointed by what the 1LE price option may actually be. A lot of new things are being added to this package, and I fear it will not be cheap.
Ninjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #53
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjac View Post
Perhaps. But I think some people may be surprised and disappointed by what the 1LE price option may actually be. A lot of new things are being added to this package, and I fear it will not be cheap.
I'm thinking it's going to be pretty close to the base GT350. Others are hoping it isn't. Time will tell.

Never thought I'd miss paying 40k for a loaded SS w/ the 1LE package...

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote