Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What to use with jack stands

I have aluminum Harbor Freight jack stands (which I don't believe were recalled). I've had my car on them before, just using them bare. Is there something people use to protect the pinch welds? I know about using ZL1 Addons jack pads with a jack, but wondering about jack stands. The ones I have do not have a flat top.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
grampa_ss

Try these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Jack Stand Pads, Harbor Freight sells thems

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I guess I'm a little confused - I thought those were for use with jacks. Will they work with jack stands also?
Old 12-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
I actually have them, but I think they're too wide. I've also gotten https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I63TKIIN9&th=1. Problem is with pinch welds the pinch weld itself is supposed be supported by the stand, not the parts on either side of the weld; the indentation is a little too deep with those.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #6
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I guess I'm a little confused - I thought those were for use with jacks. Will they work with jack stands also?
Those go between the weld and the Jack Stands, the one for the Jack has a flat bottom.

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Allez

Quote:
Those go between the weld and the Jack Stands, the one for the Jack has a flat bottom.
In that case I'll give them a try. So they would fit in the cradle of the jack stand then, correct?
Old 12-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I actually have them, but I think they're too wide. I've also gotten https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I63TKIIN9&th=1. Problem is with pinch welds the pinch weld itself is supposed be supported by the stand, not the parts on either side of the weld; the indentation is a little too deep with those.
Quote:
Quote:
In that case I'll give them a try. So they would fit in the cradle of the jack stand then, correct?
The red aluminum "Lift Points" are to be used with a jack, NOT to be used on Jack Stands. The black rubber things are to be used on Jack Stands...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
Xaxas

Quote:
Disclaimer: zl1addons is not a sponsor

Old 12-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
The red aluminum "Lift Points" are to be used with a jack, NOT to be used on Jack Stands. The black rubber things are to be used on Jack Stands...
You're kidding? For all I know the you lift with the flat jack puck and hold with the bottom rounded pucks, intuition tells me so since... They're rounded kinda like that jack stand.

Well, at least that combination has been working for me, sturdy as hell and I wiggle the jack stand every time I raise the car to make sure it's good and set.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
You're kidding? For all I know the you lift with the flat jack puck and hold with the bottom rounded pucks, intuition tells me so since... They're rounded kinda like that jack stand.

Well, at least that combination has been working for me, sturdy as hell and I wiggle the jack stand every time I raise the car to make sure it's good and set.
You place the red aluminum lift pads into the cradle of your jack stands??? Do you have a picture? I'd be really afraid of them slipping out...

Edit: I see your picture now... Wow, that would make me really nervous, not a lot of surface area touching between the lift point and the black jack stand cover...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 12-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #12
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You place the red aluminum lift pads into the cradle of your jack stands??? Do you have a picture? I'd be really afraid of them slipping out...

Edit: I see your picture now... Wow, that would make me really nervous, not a lot of surface area touching between the lift point and the black jack stand cover...

Yeah I always thought it was... odd... How they weren't really held all that well by the jack stand, it is sturdy enough that I've applied lots of force to them to test them every single time without incident, but now I figure there should be better ways to go around this.

OP, the red rounded pads are still a nice thing to have underneath your car because if you ever take you car for service anywhere, techs won't screw up lifting the car through the pinch welds, my previous car had some undercarriage damage from a bad lift point, the pads have screws that secure them to the pinch weld.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:

Yeah I always thought it was... odd... How they weren't really held all that well by the jack stand, it is sturdy enough that I've applied lots of force to them to test them every single time without incident, but now I figure there should be better ways to go around this.

OP, the red rounded pads are still a nice thing to have underneath your car because if you ever take you car for service anywhere, techs won't screw up lifting the car through the pinch welds, my previous car had some undercarriage damage from a bad lift point, the pads have screws that secure them to the pinch weld.
Here are some pictures on my ZL1 Add On Lift Points installed (I use them with my QuickJack 5000)

Old 12-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #14
grampa_ss

I use jackstands with mine too. It's solid. they're not going anywhere. I actually have lift pads in all 6 pinch welds locations (3 each side).
Attached Images