Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
HSLdriver

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
CT5-V Blackwing pad compound for ZL1?

This MT article (https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-drive-review) indicates the CT5-V Blackwing pads last 800 laps (and without copper); this is 2 to 3 times what I get on my smallish (1.7 mile) track. It sounds as if these are the stock brakes with the iron rotors. The rotors are larger than the ZL1's (398 vs. 390 mm: https://www.brembo.com/en/company/ne...ke-with-brembo) so they don't seem like they'd be a direct swap but does anyone have any insights here (i.e., getting this pad material for ZL1 pads) or maybe it's not worth it due to other tradeoffs (e.g., performance or cost)?

Last edited by HSLdriver; 10-15-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: "Blackhawk" to "Blackwing"
HSLdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
The ZL1 uses the same caliper design as the carbon ceramic equipped Z06’s just with solid pistons which run a slightly larger pad shape to accommodate the larger carbon rotors. They probably used this pad shape for the CT5’s steel setup, which you would probably need the rotor from the CT5 to make it work. It may or may not have the same hat design for spacing but the rotor could be swapped onto our stock hats if not!
Old 10-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
The CT5-Vs that I drove had carbon ceramic brakes.
They were crisp, didn’t fade, and I was told by Cadillac that they went with the carbon ceramic brakes due to the weight and to produce repeated performance turn after turn and lap after lap.
The brakes are ungodly expensive but supposedly last a lot longer than the standard brembos. It’s most likely going to affect resale values as the car ages and then you have to spend $10k on a 10y old car to do a brake job… as I don’t see carbon ceramic getting cheap any time soon.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Carbon ceramics are great but if someone is just getting them and never track the car, is just stupid.

You're driving it down the road and somehow a rock or other road debris hits it and cracks the rotor...we'll guess what. Now you have to shell out thousands of dollars just to replace 1 rotor.

It's great for the track, not for the road.

Maybe someone could ask brembo if they make pads for the ZL1 that matches the CT5 Blackwing. Obviously it would be worth it if the pads cost roughly the same and last just as long as what the article said about the Blackwing's pads on non-ceramic rotors.

From what I understand, the new pads for the ZL1's and 1LE cars (because of California) don't have copper in them.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
airtroop01

Pads that stop cars with traditional brakes are going to be aggressive - create lots of dust, squeak a lot and increase the wear on the rotor. They have to bite in. The factory ones really are quite good. If anything, change the fluid to a DOT4, seek some stainless brake lines and let it rip. Brakes on these relatively heavy cars (compared to a McLaren or Vette) are meant to be consumables - like tires. Again, I think the factory did a great job between performance and street. Some like other pad compounds that dust less and perform a little less because they are on the street and track less. Some want a more aggressive track pad and I had a set of hawks that were amazing but a great way to toast a set of rotors.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
So, I have a BW on order. I had the chance to chat with the Chief of the Performance Variant Division and I asked about the brakes. He said the caliper is not the same and the pad shape is not the same as the ZL1 and it's not a Ferodo pad.

I went with the iron disc. The math just isn't there for CCB's yet.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
The same front brakes of the BlackWing are available on the 2022 SS 1LE as the Performance Copper-free Brake System, RPO BCD. I've seen varying costs of this system when optioned on an SS 1LE, anywhere from the normal 1LE option cost of $7000 to $7500. So in other words, by checking the copper free option, it costs nothing to add it to an SS 1LE or it adds an additional $500. I'm not sure why the difference. In my below samples, one big difference is one car is the manual and the other is the auto. It's normally a $995 option on Chevrolet's build configurator, but when paired with the SS 1LE, it is not that much. As mentioned the rotor diameter goes up to 398mm, the caliper is larger than the ZL1 caliper and it's a different pad shape and material.

I've also found an A10 1LE that is also priced at $7500.
Name:  WI Copper Free.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  208.5 KB

Name:  IL SS 1LE Cop Free.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  227.9 KB

Last edited by cdb95z28; 10-28-2021 at 10:42 PM.
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
So, I have a BW on order. I had the chance to chat with the Chief of the Performance Variant Division and I asked about the brakes. He said the caliper is not the same and the pad shape is not the same as the ZL1 and it's not a Ferodo pad.

I went with the iron disc. The math just isn't there for CCB's yet.
Same for me. I have a CT5V Blackwing on order and just can’t convince myself to spend another $9-10 grand on a brake package. And I despise brake dust.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #9
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Same for me. I have a CT5V Blackwing on order and just can’t convince myself to spend another $9-10 grand on a brake package. And I despise brake dust.
Totally agree, but I do love them on my Z/28. They rock. I didn't pay anywhere near full price for that car (new) so no complaints. I don't think we'll see the C7 Z06 days where they were essentially giving the CCB brake option away for free when they finally divorced it from the complete Z07 package...
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
The same front brakes (except for a piston seal change) of the BlackWing are available on the 2022 SS 1LE as the Performance Copper-free Brake System, RPO BCD. I've seen varying costs of this system when optioned on an SS 1LE, anywhere from the normal 1LE option cost of $7000 to $7500. So in other words, by checking the copper free option, it costs nothing to add it to an SS 1LE or it adds an additional $500. I'm not sure why the difference. In my below samples, one big difference is one car is the manual and the other is the auto. It's normally a $995 option on Chevrolet's build configurator, but when paired with the SS 1LE, it is not that much. As mentioned the rotor diameter goes up to 398mm, the caliper is larger than the ZL1 caliper and it's a different pad shape and material.

That would be a fantastic option if someone is planning on tracking the car. The BW5 pad is supposed to be really, really good. According to Mirza, Cadillac targeted a pad that could handle 800 laps before swapping.

Can you point out where it describes that option with rotor size, etc? I looked on the Chevy website and all I could find was 'required if shipping to Cali or Wash'.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
The same front brakes (except for a piston seal change) of the BlackWing are available on the 2022 SS 1LE as the Performance Copper-free Brake System, RPO BCD. ...As mentioned the rotor diameter goes up to 398mm, the caliper is larger than the ZL1 caliper and it's a different pad shape and material.
Interesting, I just assumed they would introduce a new pad compound with the same calipers and rotors but maybe they couldn't find a copper free compound that could handle track use with the old calipers and rotors? Do you have part numbers for the new pads (front and rear), font rotors, and front calipers? I can imagine people with older SS 1LEs might look at upgrading to these if the costs are similar to the stock SS 1LE pads and rotors.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #12
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
I agree it’s definitely interesting they changed the caliper on top of the rotors and pads. Those are understandable with the copper content absorbing some of the heat allowing smaller rotors. It’s just surprising the same ZL1 calipers fit the 394mm CCM rotors of the C7 Vettes but couldn’t fit the extra 4mm of diameter. My guess would be so that it could still have some extra room even with massive 400mm CCM setup on the CT5.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #13
airtroop01

If you’re talking about the carbon ceramic setup it’s not the same as the Performance copper free brakes. The carbon ceramics have more in common to the ones on the Vette than the copper free stuff
Old 11-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #14
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Curious if the same pad compound of the BW will make it to the ZL1.