The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'll be in Nebraska for work for a few months!!

Well I took a travel assignment and will be working in Nebraska for a few months. I'm leaving on Saturday and I'm contracted until December 25th. However it will probably get an extension. If it doesn't then I'll be aiming for Hawaii for my next assignment!! I would have preferred an assigment closer to home but I can't complain with the money they're paying me, lol!!

So since this will be my first time in Nebraska I figure I'll try to take time to explore and see the sights on my time off. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week so that gives me plenty of time to relax and enjoy whatever they do out there, lol!! Well that is, unless they offer me a ton of OT which I probably won't turn down. I figure I'll also sneak in 2 vacations while I'm out there and maybe a weekend trip back to NJ just to check on my toys.

So I'm looking forward to it!! Anyone from Nebraska, what should I expect or look for out there? Help a Jersey boy out, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Lots of snow

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Cornhuskers football.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:26 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Lots of snow
I'm all ready for some snow. I got rid of my 2012 X5 50i and leased a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night edition truck with the 5.7 Hemi. I should be able to handle anything!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Cornhuskers football.
Yea I hear they take the Cornhuskers real serious out there!!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I've lived in Nebraska for a total of over 50 years (minus 13 years in AZ), and this is my opinion...
They DO take the Cornhuskers very seriously here. IMHO, there's nothing else here. It's almost like a base from which you can drive to see something interesting.
The Rockies in Colorado - about 500 miles to the west
The Blackhills of SD - about 500 miles to the northwest
The lakes of Minnesota - about 500 miles to the Northeast
Hate to seem like a downer, but most people live here because nobody else wants to. The weather keeps out most of the crazies. I pretty much had to move back here from Arizona in 2014 and would go back in a heartbeat, even considering the heat down there!
Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt if you wish!
Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Sounds a whole lot like Kansas.. miles and miles.. of miles and miles.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Bring a beer can....

I am told if you stand on it you can see 100 miles in any direction....
Old 09-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Once the wind stops blowing, it is awesome. Problem is, the wind never stops blowing.

Friendliest people in the world, though. Hard working and honest. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
I've lived in Nebraska for a total of over 50 years (minus 13 years in AZ), and this is my opinion...
They DO take the Cornhuskers very seriously here. IMHO, there's nothing else here. It's almost like a base from which you can drive to see something interesting.
The Rockies in Colorado - about 500 miles to the west
The Blackhills of SD - about 500 miles to the northwest
The lakes of Minnesota - about 500 miles to the Northeast
Hate to seem like a downer, but most people live here because nobody else wants to. The weather keeps out most of the crazies. I pretty much had to move back here from Arizona in 2014 and would go back in a heartbeat, even considering the heat down there!
Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt if you wish!
As long as there are local bars, decent BBQ, a 24 hour gym, and nothing crazy going on then I'll be fine. Everything you said sounds about on par with my initial thoughts and what my recruiter has told me. So I am looking forward to it. Maybe if I get a good stretch of days off then I'll take a trip out to see the Rockies!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Once the wind stops blowing, it is awesome. Problem is, the wind never stops blowing.

Friendliest people in the world, though. Hard working and honest. Good luck.
I'm sure it will be a welcome change from what we deal with in NJ...as far as the people are concerned. I might just stay out there, lol!!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If you're close enough to kansas city the National World War I museum is something I'd strongly recommend.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Where exactly in Nebraska? I go to Lincoln for work 2-3 times a year and am pretty familiar with Omaha also. Lots of good bars / restaurants in the Old Market in Omaha and the Haymarket in Lincoln. Lincoln especially has changed tremendously since I started going out there around 2005.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:46 AM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
If you're close enough to kansas city the National World War I museum is something I'd strongly recommend.
I'll be in Omaha. I will try to make time to go to that museum!! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Where exactly in Nebraska? I go to Lincoln for work 2-3 times a year and am pretty familiar with Omaha also. Lots of good bars / restaurants in the Old Market in Omaha and the Haymarket in Lincoln. Lincoln especially has changed tremendously since I started going out there around 2005.
Yea Omaha is where I will be. I looked up the night life and it seems decent enough. I'm not a partyer anymore but I do enjoy going to clubs and bars just to sit back and chill. So it seems that there is enough out there to keep me entertained for my stay!! Looking forward to seeing all the city has to offer.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #13
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Forgot to mention that the SAC Museum (between Omaha and Lincoln on I-80) is interesting to visit. Trying to think of things to do around this area...
If you like craft beers, there are a couple pretty good breweries in the area as well. I'll try to mention things as I think of them along the way. BTW I live in west Omaha, don't get downtown much at all, so I can't help with sights of the city :-)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
berlin

Drives: kia rio
Nebraska is great place for travel and stay. I visit that place few times per month during my work trip. Check info here before visitng it at first time. Next time I will viist Chicago. I love Omaha and Omaha is generally a fairly safe city to visit.

Last edited by berlin; 10-22-2021 at 09:20 AM.
berlin is offline   Reply With Quote