Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
Kaylakms

Drives: 2016 LGX
Angry It finally happend again.

Hello camaro5, I have a 2010 v6 RS, and over the 3 years i've owned the car the engine has now blown 3 times. From my understanding the 2010's have the LLT, before this, i bought my car with 32,000 miles on it, i fell in love with it at first sight, then 2000 miles later the engine blew, bottom end was knocking. The dealership paid to replace it with (19210837) remanned 3.6l v6 with a 3 year warranty, the car had no modifications (that i knew of) at that point, shortly after the second engine needed replaced again, same problem, same tapping noise, engine was then replaced again with another reman for the third time, this time they found out it was tuned by the prev owner and reset it to to stock tune, i started thinking we finally found the problem i finally thought maybe this time will be different, it wasn't, after the car came out at, i went full bolt on with a 93 trifecta pump gas tune, all was well, i did all my break in oil changes, etc, just recently re did my clutch, a week ago and today i was driving on the highway at around 50mph, low 3k rpm i believe, fiance and i heard a strange knocking/ what sounded like a belt squeeling, i pulled off and i could not get the car to start back up, called a friend to get a jump and she started right back up and was knocking AGAIN.
Below is a video taken today of the sound it's making, and the same sound i've dreaded since owning this car.

https://youtu.be/2uqzuxbuZjw

I've asked for quite a few details from the dealership when this happend last time and it was always 'we're not sure what happened or why' does anyone know exactly what this sound means? Is it a rod knock? And if it is, what would cause this issue to repeat itself, today i will be finding out if chevy will honor the warranty as i am within the warranty frame, this really has been quite a terrible ownership story, i absoloutley love this car, but when it gets to the point where you're replacing the engine every year it gets to be a bit too much, engine has always had somewhat of a loud ticking noise, even after the reman was put in, i mentioned it to them and they said it was normal, has anyone else ever had a issue like this? I really need some help guys, thank you.

Last edited by Kaylakms; 09-23-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Kaylakms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #2
Machh5
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Usually when something like this happens over and over its something common like low engine oil level combined with hard driving, Not a good combo. I run 7qts in my 2015 over 95k hard miles with no problems so far. I check my oil every week and average 1/2 qt usage every 2k miles but I always keep it 1 qt over filled. The timing chains in these engines are splash-vapor lubricated, even a little low on oil takes its toll on the chains. But chains aren't your issue, how low was the oil when the engine failed? Did you check it?
Machh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:29 AM   #3
Kaylakms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machh5 View Post
Usually when something like this happens over and over its something common like low engine oil level combined with hard driving, Not a good combo. I run 7qts in my 2015 over 95k hard miles with no problems so far. I check my oil every week and average 1/2 qt usage every 2k miles but I always keep it 1 qt over filled. The timing chains in these engines are splash-vapor lubricated, even a little low on oil takes its toll on the chains. But chains aren't your issue, how low was the oil when the engine failed? Did you check it?
Yes, the oil is full, i just did a oil change recently with a new filter
Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Does the car have an external oil cooler? There could be bits of shrapnel stuck there that come loose and ruin the bearings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Machh5
Account Suspended

Seriously alot of people own these cars and the v6 engine is known for a very tough bottom end. I would want to know exactly what is worn inside the engine so maybe you can avoid future heartaches with this. I'm not a big fan of remaned engines so maybe the problem is the quality of the engines they put in. I'd look into upgrading to a LFX 12 up engine. They are everywhere and cheap.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Seems the LLT is quite the piece of shit (can we say shit?) based on what I've read on this forum throughout the years - head gasket failures, timing chain failures, massive oil consumption - and all often happening at well under 100k miles. The LFX seems to be much more reliable and I haven't heard of many major issues with it, nor do the major issues seem to be consist like the LLT.

Sorry I can't really help here, but at this point if you're willing I'd consider an LFX transplant or a 2012 - 15 Camaro.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
It sounds like the remanufactured engines they're using are garbage. I would be worried of another failure if they put another "reman" engine in again. I think what you probably need to do if find an original low mile engine from the junkyard or just buy a brand new crate engine from GM.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I had the choice of a reman or new, we opted for the New engine, no problems so far. The new engine came with a 3yr 30000 mile warranty.
the original engine had a head gasket blow.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.

Last edited by spyderbuddy; 09-23-2020 at 08:42 PM.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Army of Wuzzy

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LS
My engine blew at 64,000 miles within a couple months of me owning it. Got a new remann. from dealer and 3 years later it is still running. I always say it was bad maintenance from the previous owner for mine. Sorry to hear about yours. As everyone else suggested, a 12-15 swap might not be a terrible idea.

"If you aren't first, you're last"
-Ricky Bobby
Army of Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
If its under warranty why are they giving you a reman? I had My engine go bad on my Chevy truck under warranty and I got a new one.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #11
Kaylakms

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Does the car have an external oil cooler? There could be bits of shrapnel stuck there that come loose and ruin the bearings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not that i know of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
If its under warranty why are they giving you a reman? I had My engine go bad on my Chevy truck under warranty and I got a new one.
I am not 100% sure why they continued to put in remanned engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Seems the LLT is quite the piece of shit (can we say shit?) based on what I've read on this forum throughout the years - head gasket failures, timing chain failures, massive oil consumption - and all often happening at well under 100k miles. The LFX seems to be much more reliable and I haven't heard of many major issues with it, nor do the major issues seem to be consist like the LLT.

Sorry I can't really help here, but at this point if you're willing I'd consider an LFX transplant or a 2012 - 15 Camaro.
Is there a write up on these forums for doing a LLT to LFX and a list of what's needed?
Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #12
Machh5
Account Suspended

If you have constant detonation going on in the cylinders from improper timing or a lean condition this can eat the bearings and the pistons. Like i posted above I'd want a good explanation every time a engine fails. You probably wouldn't be too happy if you seen what goes into some remanned engines. Some places use all used parts so they take a few bad engines and make one running engine out of it. Of course they may give you a warranty but its worthless if you are having constant failures.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:08 AM   #13
Kaylakms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machh5 View Post
If you have constant detonation going on in the cylinders from improper timing or a lean condition this can eat the bearings and the pistons. Like i posted above I'd want a good explanation every time a engine fails. You probably wouldn't be too happy if you seen what goes into some remanned engines. Some places use all used parts so they take a few bad engines and make one running engine out of it. Of course they may give you a warranty but its worthless if you are having constant failures.

This was a response i was never able to get from the dealership
Old 09-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
Machh5
Account Suspended

LLT to LFX conversion https://www.moderncamaro.com/threads...version.71161/