Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
Street Slayer Twin Carbon Review

So I wanted to wait to post this until I got my camarogirl5.com website redone, but its still a work in progress, so I will post a lil for now and update it later. But follow me on www.facebook.com/camarogirl5 if you want

Anyway, So, after like 4 different clutches, pains, headaches, money loss, camaro downtime, blah blah, ...I finally found the perfect clutch.

I had the McLeod RXT Twin Disk in for a long time and had it rebuilt 3 times, and first let me say that their customer service is top notch, they warrantied it every single time so I give them that, but bottom line, the clutch just didnt work for me and my car. I have a cam, and have to slip a little bit at dead stops sometimes, and it just chattered sooooo bad. And then it would chatter in other gears too. At the track, and on the street, when I was RIPPING gears, the McLeod grabbed SO hard the dash jump, it was AWESOME!!! But when it came to driving around town and cruising down Woodward, I wanted to kill the thing. I almost gave up on the car.

So, as I was doing my winter mods, McLeod gave me a brand new RXT and resurfaced my flywheel for free...I was going to put that back in my car, but my friend was like, really, your going to ruin your summer again...No. I have had my eye on the Street Slayer for a couple years, as well as a couple other clutches, and did TONS of research and read reviews. You find people who love their clutch and then some that hate that same one, so whatever...but I havent seen one bad review about the street slayer. With my power level, and the adders I plan on doing, I looked at the Street Slayer Twin Carbon...$2100 is alot of money for a clutch and my tight budget, and I contemplated...I talked to HE and he was very honest and upfront about everything, explained the clutch and how it would feel and act. So, I had a decision to make, put in my new RXT (that I didnt have to repay for) or pay $2100 for the slayer...

I chose the Slayer...and the day I got my car back from the shop, I was super nervous....then that all went away. I drove the car around town, and the pedal feel was instantly AMAZING! I love the effort and its release point...I did the break in requirements, and finally Michigan had some good enough weather where I could take the car out and put it through its paces. I started ripping gears and all I can say is WOW. I am amazed. Its better than I thought it could be. Downshifts are effortless now too, no chatter like the McLeod.

I can't wait to get this thing to the track! Between my Hammerhead, and the Slayer, this car is gonna finally drive the way it was meant. And I am going to beat the sh*t out of it!

I will post videos and more reviews, pics etc on my website and FB page as the season goes on...but all I gotta say for now, is get a Slayer. Don't waste time and money anywhere else. Its soooooo worth the money. Even my performance shop owner looked at it as they were installing it and he was shocked with the workmanship and said its the most serious and nice clutch he has ever seen.

Thank you HE!

Ok, thats my novel for the night. Thanks for reading!
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
It's a great clutch, the selling point for me was the engagement point. I'm glad I spent the money on it. Enjoy your clutch I know I have with only the couple hundred miles I put on it last summer.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
+1 I love mine too! Well worth the money
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
love mine worth every dime
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Thanks!!!! ...We know the Street Slayer isn't for everyone but we built it knowing there would be people like you guys and gals that would want a truly hand crafted American made and built clutch designed for the 5th gen.Thanks for all the support! Go Team Street Slayer!
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
/OFFTOPIC

I've seen you around, had no idea you were on here
Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Thomas, we are pulling my motor soon, trans as well... Trans will go back to RSG for some TLC... What's involved in sending my triple to you to check it out... Repair as necessary... I'm getting ready to really test it's capabilities... Think... 2000 RWHP in a standing mile and spinning it to 8500 or so RPM's...

And OP, like you, I love this clutch, well mannered on the street and it's held close to 1500 rwhp so far... We didn't get a chance to spray the car so we didn't throw everything at it but it's been fantastic so far..

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Thomas, we are pulling my motor soon, trans as well... Trans will go back to RSG for some TLC... What's involved in sending my triple to you to check it out... Repair as necessary... I'm getting ready to really test it's capabilities... Think... 2000 RWHP in a standing mile and spinning it to 8500 or so RPM's...

And OP, like you, I love this clutch, well mannered on the street and it's held close to 1500 rwhp so far... We didn't get a chance to spray the car so we didn't throw everything at it but it's been fantastic so far..
Just give me a call and ill get it all set up..We have a few new tricks for even longer life and a little faster shifting
Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Just give me a call and ill get it all set up..We have a few new tricks for even longer life and a little faster shifting
Sounds like a plan... I'll phone you up when we get it all out of the car...

:edit: and for those of you reading this, there is nothing wrong with the clutch at all... This is more like an annual check up for a really big HP car... I'm just looking forward and want to let the experts look at it and ensure its all good to go, or fix anything they deem needing it for my power level and goals....

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sounds like a plan... I'll phone you up when we get it all out of the car...

:edit: and for those of you reading this, there is nothing wrong with the clutch at all... This is more like an annual check up for a really big HP car... I'm just looking forward and want to let the experts look at it and ensure its all good to go, or fix anything they deem needing it for my power level and goals....
Thanks for pointing that out,this is what we like to call MAINTENANCE! When you build these cars you have to keep a close watch on your bits and pieces...
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:

At 2000RWHP we may upgrade to our QUAD
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
At 2000RWHP we may upgrade to our QUAD
There's a Quad???

:edit: going to google this...

Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Come on now Thomas.... This thing engages and releases so damn fast as is! Now if I can get the friggin transmission to keep up

I have had the Street Slayer Twin Billet clutch in the car since November'ish and it is truely amazing. I am having a lot of fun with it.

My only problem now is to get the transmission synchros 1-4 gear replaced with something faster shifting.... Any recommendations pplz???? And will be going Redline MT ATF...

Thanks again for all the help Thomas and for a great clutch!
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79

Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0cr3 View Post
Come on now Thomas.... This thing engages and releases so damn fast as is! Now if I can get the friggin transmission to keep up

I have had the Street Slayer Twin Billet clutch in the car since November'ish and it is truely amazing. I am having a lot of fun with it.

My only problem now is to get the transmission synchros 1-4 gear replaced with something faster shifting.... Any recommendations pplz???? And will be going Redline MT ATF...

Thanks again for all the help Thomas and for a great clutch!
Get ahold of George at Rockland Standard Gear...

He can line you out on any parts or upgrades you might need...

He hand built my transmission and it's flawless with all of the power I throw at it...
Tell him I sent you...

Tags
street slayer, street slayer clutch, twin carbon