Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
ztsmith86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cylinder head install

Hi,

I'm installing ls3 cylinder heads on my 2010 ls3 Camaro. Does anyone have the 2010 LS3 service manual procedure for this? Or a nice do it yourself to read on removing and installing new heads. Thx

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Inferno Metallic
----------------------
TSP 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers 304 SS MagnaFlow 2.5 Street Series Catback Exhaust K&N Cold Air Intake Comp Cams Camshaft227/235 .639"/.646"114LSA+2.5 REV 2.165 Hollow Stem Stainless Steel Valves Manley1.59 Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves GM LS7 Hydraulic Lifter Kit Katech CR-5 Timing Chain Manley Hardened Pushrods Comp Cams LSX Rocker Arm Trunion Kit A.I.R. Ported Cylinder Heads Catalytic Converter Delete
ztsmith86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
I've already had to take my heads off once before and it was pretty straight forward. I did this about two months ago so I'm going from memory. I hope this helps you out and I'd definitely suggest more research before you attempt this. Also if anything is in accurate please correct me.

Drain oil and coolant.

Throttle body comes off next. 4 10mm bolts.

Next is the water pump, and if you can, use a shop vac to suck out as much coolant as you can from the water pump holes in the back. I was told to do this and was pretty surprised how much came out.

Went back to the top and disconnected fuel line, and removed fuel rails. If I remember correctly its only held on by 4 10mm bolts. The rest connect the brace on top of the intake manifold. Once all the bolts are out and the elect connections to the injectors are out its just a tug and everything should come out all nice a neat.

Next I did the manifold. I think its 6 or 8 bolts all 8mm I believe. The last two are a pain because of clearance issues. I covered up the inlets with tape so nothing would get in there.

Next I took the coil packs off, spark plugs and wires came out and unbolted headers.

There's a steel line connecting the two heads which I believe transfers coolant between each two. That comes off.

All the accessories come off. Everything is pretty straight forward and should un-bolt to come off.

Now you should be looking at taking the heads off.

Before I started this I made sure to get as much coolant out as possible with the shop vac before I took this off as to not dump coolant all in the engine when I was pulling the heads.

So valve covers first. 3 8mm bolts.

Next is the Rocker Arms, push rods and the rocker arm pedestal. And I believe its 8mm for the rocker arm bolts. Another thing to note here. Make sure each rocker arm/push rod goes back to it's original spot.

Next is the 15 bolts holding the head down. They were torqued down pretty good so I had to use some leverage to get them undone. Here's the pattern. That's also the torque pattern to use when installing. I just did the inverse when unbolting.

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/...orquebolts.jpg

Now its time to lift the head off. They're kinda heavy and I'm a short guy so it was pretty awkward trying to get it out by myself. I really suggest having someone to help.

Install is just the reverse order. I know I probably missed details here and there but this kinda gets you in the right direction and looking where you should look. I don't think there's an exact order on which part to take off aside from the obvious but this is the way I did it and didn't run into any major issues.

Like I said, this probably isn't all of it. So please do the research on proper torque patterns and specs.

Don't forget that you'll need new parts:
Head Gasket (2x)
Head Bolts (30x)
Header Gaskets (I don't think this is necessary but I did it anyways)
Intake manifold Gaskets (8x)
Throttle body Gasket (1x)

I can't remember exactly but I did use the 8mm and 10mm ALOT. Which was nice to not have to fish for tools

This guide is for and LS1 which is close and has pictures.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3

Also, look up robertway's guide on how to swap out the camshaft. It'll tell you how to remove the water pump, coil packs, valve covers and rocker arms/push rods. And he has awesome pictures.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
ztsmith86

Thanks I have a lot of research put together already. Just trying to squeeze out of everyone before I begin. I'm planning on doing an extremely in depth write up when I'm finished. I'm playing on doing valvetrain upgrade for AOL COM electric water column double roller timing gear stainless steel intake exhaust valves unless seven lifters Crumley pushrods double spring kit blower camshaft long tube headers and a tune with ported heads off the same time.

----------------------
TSP 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers 304 SS MagnaFlow 2.5 Street Series Catback Exhaust K&N Cold Air Intake Comp Cams Camshaft227/235 .639"/.646"114LSA+2.5 REV 2.165 Hollow Stem Stainless Steel Valves Manley1.59 Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves GM LS7 Hydraulic Lifter Kit Katech CR-5 Timing Chain Manley Hardened Pushrods Comp Cams LSX Rocker Arm Trunion Kit A.I.R. Ported Cylinder Heads Catalytic Converter Delete
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
ztsmith86

My Siri on my iPhone sucks half that's spelled wrong.

----------------------
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
Oh and once the heads are off, make sure the #1 Piston (if you're looking at the engine first one on your right) is at Top Dead Center and that'll make life alot easier when re-installing your push rods and torqing down the rocker arms. It'll take the guess work out completely.

Robertways guide on camshaft install also explains in depth on how to reinstall the push rods and re-torque the rocker arms.

Hope this all helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
ztsmith86

Does anyone have the GM PDF Repair Instructions for LS3 Head replacements? Thanks

----------------------
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsmith86 View Post
unless seven lifters Crumley pushrods
I ran some unless seven lifters and Crumley pushrods in the past...didn't have the best luck

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If all you are doing is changing the heads, the water pump can stay on the block. And the throttle body can stay on the manifold. Take out the coolant temp sensor and shop vac out the coolant, this will save a mess when popping the heads off. You can also take off the steam vent crossover pipe under the throttle body and shop vac out coolant there.

You'll need head gaskets and head bolts. Intake and exhaust gaskets are reuseable. You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool.

While the heads are off, turn the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of #1 cyl. You can look in at the cam and make sure the #1 lobes are on their base circle to make sure your not on the exhaust stroke.

Put the new heads on, follow the service manual procedure for tqing the head bolts using the tq angle procedures. Then the pushrods, rockers... you only tighten half the rockers down, then turn the engine 360 and tighten the other half. The manual will tell which ones. You don't want to crank a rocker down if that lobe is up, valve might say hello to the piston.

If you are going to be doing this much work on your car, basically you need a service manual. When I buy a car, one of the first purchases next is the service manual.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
So heads can come off an be installed with engine in car right? 2010 camaro..head studs will let this happen too or no?
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Head studs won't unless you install them after the heads are set on the block.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
camaro-heater

Ok cool deal. I'm not really this dumb but just making sure.. the heads can come off with motor in car right?
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-heater View Post
Ok cool deal. I'm not really this dumb but just making sure.. the heads can come off with motor in car right?
Yes
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 AM   #13
camaro-heater

Thank you Blake and thank you Bo White. Good men
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #14
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I put heads on my L99 while the engine was in the car, no problem...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote