Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #253
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
I just bought one off of eBay and should get it by Friday. It puts me behind another week...............
Oh man, what a drag. I know how bad that sucks. Thankfully, you at least have the patience and wisdom to wait for the right tool! It will be worth it. You won't believe how a camshaft will wake up your car!

What are the specs on the cam you went with? What other mods have you done to support the cam?

Here's how my car sounds with the cam. Under the description, you'll see all the details on what I've done.

BLESSINGS!
Sam

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #254
smooth72

Drives: wantbe
I was at SEMA and I was talking to GM performance group about the conversion, they said make sure you block off some holes in the oil valley, I think it was 3 holes. I wish I had listen and taken notes. There was so much to take in. Does this sound familiar, maybe I just missed it in the write up. I will read through this several times before I start mine. A big thank for a write up like this.
smooth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #255
SS Hank

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
LS3 Cam swap.

Man youre cam swap step by step is king. just wanted to check to see if youre ss is a manual or automatic? reason for asking is to double check if the mobil one atf is used for the manual transmission as well either just by adding the lost or having to dump all of the fluid and then refilling?
SS Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #256
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Hank View Post
Man youre cam swap step by step is king. just wanted to check to see if youre ss is a manual or automatic? reason for asking is to double check if the mobil one atf is used for the manual transmission as well either just by adding the lost or having to dump all of the fluid and then refilling?
If you're referring to Robertway, he sold his camaro about 5 months after he did the cam swap ( believe in May of '11). I don't think he's been very active on the forum since then. He did a marvelous job documenting the steps and it is THE guide for doing a cam swap. L99s are different, but many of the steps laid our are golden.

Just an FYI...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #257
just
Banned

Drives: Blown and inter cooled

Im stuck on that very first bolt that he shines his lazer on in the video, its underneath that wiring harness conduit type thing and I cant find a way to get to it. Do i need to remove the bracket that holds the conduit in place? any tips?
seems like there is more stuff in the way of the oil sump bolts for the 2014..
just is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #258
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
yes you need to remove the bracket a flex head ratcheting 10mm wrench makes it less suicidal
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #259
c4love

Drives: 13 Camaro SS - LS7
Thumbs up Hands Down Best DIY Cam Install Guide I have seen A++++

Just had to give a shout out been using your guide to do my LS2 Cam swap in my CTS-V and this has saved me hours of headache robertway!!!
c4love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #260
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Very helpful! Completed my cam swap smoothly. All except when a washer fell down in my header when doing LS9 head gaskets and ARP studs. Took forever to get it out...
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #261
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
This is the best.........hands down!

I think I'm done with my car for now:

http://vid1097.photobucket.com/album...pso0hasgmo.mp4

...........It's Miller Time!
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #262
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Looking into doing a LS9 cam swap on my LS3 and have been reading this to get an idea of what would need to be done. If I'm reading correctly all I would have to get to is remove the rockers, take the cam out, put the new cam in and then reverse the rest?

Including all of the steps leading up to removing the cam along with dropping the oil pan and what not. Speaking of which, how difficult is it to put the pick up tube back into the pump?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #263
AiL762

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (LS3)
About to start this attempt up thanks to this incredible thread making me feel comfortable with it (and a friend of mine that actually knows what he's doing haha). Hope all goes well.
AiL762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #264
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
I'm having some confusion on the oil pump.. if i am keeping the same timing chain tensioner and i am doing another single bolt cam so I'm keeping the single bolt sprocket… would there be a reason why i have to remove the oil pump..
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #265
thino

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
I'm having some confusion on the oil pump.. if i am keeping the same timing chain tensioner and i am doing another single bolt cam so I'm keeping the single bolt sprocket… would there be a reason why i have to remove the oil pump..
if your keeping the stock chain and tensioner than oil pump removal is not needed
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #266
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by thino View Post
if your keeping the stock chain and tensioner than oil pump removal is not needed
i thought so i just wanted to make sure
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote