Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
That pink Barbie donk car looks like it has a 6th gen hood on it as well. I wonder how they did that?
Looking at the photo it doesnt look like its fitting very well....I bet there is 6 bolts total holding that whole front end on.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #30
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
This reminds me of the 4th gen LT versus LS front end squabbles. The LT guys call us LS guys catfish grilles. Even though they were the same gen, the front end swap supposedly wasn’t an easy deal.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #31
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
My favorite part of the 6gen is the emblems
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #32
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I wonder how things like the sensors for frontal impact will be affected?
Not at all. There aren't any on the front of the car.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #33
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
That pink Barbie donk car looks like it has a 6th gen hood on it as well. I wonder how they did that?
That's not a donk...this is a donk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #34
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
This reminds me of the 4th gen LT versus LS front end squabbles. The LT guys call us LS guys catfish grilles. Even though they were the same gen, the front end swap supposedly wasn’t an easy deal.
The 93-97 Camaro looked like a Geo Storm on steroids
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #35
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
To be painfully honest, that doesn't look bad. The modification looks well grafted and flawless.

Its not something that I would do, but its nothing to sneeze at and I've seen far far worse modification done to a 5th gen.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Sorry, but IMO it looks fugly
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #37
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well they auctaully do.....all body panel seams and gaps are engineered to elimimate wind noise at speed. Not really noticeable to look at but it is done that way. If your new bumper is installed with the gap not being right and is lower then the hood you will have wind noise....same as the bumper to fender gap.
The airflow into and out of engine bay, under car, around sides, over roof is all mapped and tweaked by the Engineers.
Having the lower roof helps a good deal; noticed the Mustangs have now lowered their roof as well and added the Camaro reverse Mohawk and bigger hips
... ironic the first pony car (May 1964) is copying the second pony car (September 1966). lol.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 12-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #38
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
I hardly think the poster really thinks it cant be touched because of GM engineering. But he is right it will have an effect on air flow ...cooling and who knows what else Can it be made to work ..of course I wonder how things like the sensors for frontal impact will be affected? This is alot more complicated then strapping on a body kit.
You'd think you'd see the same cause for concern on things like T-REX grilles for the 5, or anyone running an intercooler, or any of those under hood dress-up pieces that cover all the open space ... no? No "on noes GM engineered no no" or "yeah that will not breathe well, Cotton"? I typically see the "if the factory wanted it like that, they would have engineered it that way" braintrust when it's something someone just doesn't like but won't man up about it and, for some reason, have to offer up the weakest excuse on the market. "I dunno man, if god had wanted us to go 160 mph he would have engineered us to run faster. I don't think driving a V8 car is a good idea. Going that fast is going to make my tie flow like whoa."

Back on topic, like I said, It looks like someone took to modifying THIS bumper (https://www.americanauthority.com/co...e-front-bumper) and retrofit in the 6th gen headlights. Considering none of that has anything to do with sensors I'd say zero effect. Probably net positive on cooling/airflow given the grill size compared to what it swapped out. I still think it looks terrible. On par with that 1st gen Camaro style kit that someone put out for the 5's. Ugh.

And that donked pink nightmare looks like it has an entire 6th gen front clip on it. Those are definitely not gen5 fenders.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #39
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Not at all. There aren't any [crash sensors] on the front of the car.
HUH??? What do you think triggers the front airbags?????
Crash sensors!!!!!!

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #40
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
You'd think you'd see the same cause for concern on things like T-REX grilles for the 5, or anyone running an intercooler, or any of those under hood dress-up pieces that cover all the open space ... no? No "on noes GM engineered no no" or "yeah that will not breathe well, Cotton"? I typically see the "if the factory wanted it like that, they would have engineered it that way" braintrust when it's something someone just doesn't like but won't man up about it and, for some reason, have to offer up the weakest excuse on the market. "I dunno man, if god had wanted us to go 160 mph he would have engineered us to run faster. I don't think driving a V8 car is a good idea. Going that fast is going to make my tie flow like whoa."

Back on topic, like I said, It looks like someone took to modifying THIS bumper (https://www.americanauthority.com/co...e-front-bumper) and retrofit in the 6th gen headlights. Considering none of that has anything to do with sensors I'd say zero effect. Probably net positive on cooling/airflow given the grill size compared to what it swapped out. I still think it looks terrible. On par with that 1st gen Camaro style kit that someone put out for the 5's. Ugh.

And that donked pink nightmare looks like it has an entire 6th gen front clip on it. Those are definitely not gen5 fenders.
The add ons you talk about really dont carry the air around them. You change the aerodynamics of anything and it will affect it. Like I said before ...you can change whatever you want and it will work to some degree . Change the entire look of the front end of a car with this hack and it will not be as effective as the original design. The 6th gen front end should stay on the 6th gen...thats just me.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #41
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
HUH??? What do you think triggers the front airbags?????
Crash sensors!!!!!!
GM hasn't used front mounted crash sensors in about 15 years.

Many years ago there would be two crash impact sensors usually mounted to the radiator support to detect an impact. In a forward collision they would send a signal to a SIR module, then the module would signal the steering wheel and/or dash airbag to inflate.

Now the SIR module (usually mounted in the center of the car) uses built-in accelerometers and yaw sensors to detect sudden deceleration to inflate the airbags.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #42
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
???
Attached Images

orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote