Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Not sure what breaks the 5th bow. Dealers will tell you not to put the top down with temps below 40. I believe mine was broken when I bought it 6/11/11 (first vert, small dealership, only one in stock and nothing to compare to). Dealer was clueless, but had been doing business with them a long time and are great people, just not experienced in this market. It wasn't until I found this website, saw pics (good and bad) and did some investigation that I determined mine was bad. Went to a larger dealer in my area (one recommended by a member on this site). They took one look and agreed the bow was bent or broken and needed replaced. Scheduled the appointment April 2012, and while in the shop, after taking the top off, noticed the broken bow had worn holes through the water management bag, and ordered a new one (even though I had not experienced any leaks - trunk, foot wells, anywhere). Anyway have been very pleased with the results. I've been more fortunate than some - Yes there are still the original rub marks, but with the enhancements done, do not seem to be getting any worse. The top looks better than it ever has - slight wrinkles above the driver and passenger doors (probably a cable adjustment) and slight wrinkles behind the rear quarter panels, but right now I'm going to leave well enough alone and see what happens the rest of this summer and Fall. Still two years left on the warranty. Am cautiously optimistic. But like the previous poster said, based on the appearance of your car's rear seal, I would have the dealer look at that immediately. Something is definitely wrong.

Still love the car, but am disappointed in how GM seems to be turning a blind eye to members on this site that clearly have significant issues.

Best of luck with you car. Luck being the "operative" word.

tracker
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Tempermental Tops

Thanks tracker.
When I bought this car I never dreamed it would be so fragile
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
It seems to be related to the water bag not installed properly at the factory. The ''field engineer'' that replaced my last 5th bow reset the bag then left the top down for 24hrs to let it take a set and conform to the top. Seems to have worked. As for the temperature being the cause it still involves the bag. In colder weather it gets stiff and offers more resistance thereby bending the steel attachment brackets that the bow is attached to. They are basically flat so there is very little strength. Turning up one side to make a ''L'' form would increase the strength greatly.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Michael Rophone

Camarostomy Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
It seems to be related to the water bag not installed properly at the factory.
A full and frozen rain bag is also not very forgiving to both 5th Bow and Rear Window Glass.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
A full and frozen rain bag is also not very forgiving to both 5th Bow and Rear Window Glass.
yep, just another epic fail on GMs design teams....
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
If it is set properly it doesn't hold much water at all. But the 2013 I believe will have another set of drain tubes at least that is what the''engineer'' told me.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Michael Rophone

Drain the bag; drain the floor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
If it is set properly it doesn't hold much water at all. But the 2013 I believe will have another set of drain tubes at least that is what the''engineer'' told me.
I sure hope they put drain tubes in the floor of the back seat to keep from soaking the carpets of the 2013's.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #22
jstatham

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
I just found this googling my vin the red car is now mine. I haven’t had any problems with leaks. I wondered if the 2 previous owners got it fixed?
jstatham is offline   Reply With Quote