Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I've used quick detailer and elbow grease to remove the water spots on mine. They weren't coming out from just washing the car alone.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
LaBestia

Drives: 50th Anniversary Camaro 2SS
I have the same car and was experiencing the same issue. What seemed to work for me was Chemical Guys SPI_995_16 - Meticulous Matte Detailer & Spray Sealant. Check it out.
LaBestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #17
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Has anybody tried distilled or DI water. That stuff loves minerals.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #18
JBARRON

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro
Clay bar should remove water spot unless it etched the vinyl.
JBARRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #19
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Nope to all. I haven't tried CLR yet but I have clayed, used quick detailer, elbow grease, vinegar and distilled water, and isopropyl alcohol. And they are indeed water spots. Unfortunately it is very sunny here in SOCAL most times and a quick shower caused the spots and I couldn't get out quick enough. So I assume they baked in.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Some help from GM perhaps?

Quote:
The 1LE package features a matte black hood graphic manufactured and warranted by 3M. To maintain the appearance of the graphic, hand washing or a touchless car wash is recommended.

Tip: DO NOT polish or wax the graphic. Using polish, wax or any solvent-containing products will discolor the graphic. The hood wrap on this vehicle is not a GM warranty part. Owners are directed to contact their dealer for any warranty claims. The warranty form for this graphic is included in the glove box of the vehicle. Dealers are to arrange an assessment of the claim with 3M.

Maintaining the Graphic Appearance:

Hand washing is recommended using 3M or Meguiar’s car care products. Immediately rinse well and dry the graphic with a soft squeegee and/or soft cloth to help restore the luster of the paint and graphic.

Touchless car washing systems may be used. To avoid water spotting on the paint or graphics, always go through the dry cycle.

To remove tar and bugs from the graphics, use a commercial cleaner designed for such use, but do not rub vigorously. Immediately wash with regular cleaning solution, rinse with water and dry.
And:

Quote:
Condition/Concern

The low-gloss stripe kit may have a cloudy or hazy appearance. The application of a polish or wax onto the surface of a low-gloss stripe may result in this condition that seems to disappear when the stripes are wet and then reappear as the stripes dry. This condition is much more likely to be noticed on darker colored stripes and does not occur on the high-gloss stripes.

Note: The PDI sheet does have a Special Inspection Note in regards to vehicles with stripe packages. It reads - Do not use polish or wax on the stripes, this will distort the appearance.

The stripes have been fully tested for exterior exposure and results verify that the surface appearance (color and gloss) will not change unless a foreign substance has been applied.

Recommendation/Instructions

If polish or wax was applied to the low-gloss stripes, the polish/wax product will have to be removed in order to restore the original appearance of the stripes.

Important: This process will also remove the wax from any other surface it contacts. The car will have to be waxed again, this time without applying wax to the stripe surfaces. Do not use polish or wax on the low-gloss stripes, as this will distort the appearance.

Important: Use of other wax remover products may damage the stripes; this damage would not be covered under GM warranty.

To avoid damaging the stripe material, the wax removal should be done by using Dawn® dishwashing liquid soap. Place a couple drops of Dawn® dishwashing liquid soap in a bucket of water, then using a sponge and the soap solution, wash the stripes to thoroughly eliminate the wax from the small "crevices" of the matte surface.

Note: The success of this method is dependent upon the type of wax that was used and type of solvent, if any, that may have been introduced in any previous attempt to remove the wax. Solvent based removers will damage the stripes.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
I wonder if the dish soap can pull the spots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Haven't tried bug remover but have tried dish soap - dawn. Didn't work.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
CLR

Do it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #23
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Try this. It was a pain in the ass to use, but I had hard water spots all over the paint and sun roof glass. It worked.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Heavy_D...p/spi10816.htm

You have to do small sections, wash, then dry. It took almost 3 hours to do all of the horizontal surfaces on the car.

For paint, I'm just going straight to polish next time. It might be a good bet on vinyl.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #24
kodiakk

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I had a bad sap mark on mine and nothing and I mean nothing would touch it. I then tried my Mequiers quick detailer for the heck of it and in one swipe, 85% gone. a couple more and tada gone and its a Hydrophobic polymer so water just beads up and blows right off. worked for me.
kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #25
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Also try Adams VTR, there is a youtube video, done on a Camaro and the guy uses I think 2 or 3 products on the matte black strips and after he is done with the Adams VTR I really liked the results! It may clean off the water spots or hide them and protect the matte black strips. I have some water spots but also tree sap and polisher all done by my lousy Chevy dealer and will try it soon.

Also I have tried 303 Protectant and it's awesome and leaves the matte black matte but protects the surface and it may also remove/hide your water sopts and it offers a great uv protectant also!

Amazon sells it. FYI

Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #26
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
One of the first mistakes I ever made with my center hood stripe was to use a random orbital and a dab of Chemical Guys polish. I was doing the entire hood and my first car with vinyl stripes in matte. The end results were random shiny spots in the vinyl. It looked awful. I removed the matte center vinyl from the hood and was going to pay my dealer to replace it but instead I actually like it without the center decal and just the orange accent decals.

Also since the matte was almost the same color as the paint it really never stood out anyway and way less of a pain do deal with now. Because the orange stripes are gloss anyway I can buff the hood anytime I want.

I need to remove white stripes off Hyper Blue. Whats the best way to remove the stripes? Thanks.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote