Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #85
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fbjjz109 View Post
...the coyote was a shock to the segment, but not a secret. If you where relying on dealers to provide information it most certainly would have been a shock, as most don't know anything regarding development.
Exactly. Dealers, even if they know, aren't going to spill the beans, they want to sell cars now, not tomorrow. I knew the new 5.0 was coming pretty early in 2009, and lots of forums and such were talking about it. Plus the 4.6 was going to have some issues meeting the newer emissions standards, so they had to change something soon. I at the time had a 5th gen, and wasn't happy with it's overall performance and was chomping at the bit for the new Coyote to hit the streets. But it's time, it is nearing replacement, as the LT1 is calling me.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #86
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Exactly. Dealers, even if they know, aren't going to spill the beans, they want to sell cars now, not tomorrow. I knew the new 5.0 was coming pretty early in 2009, and lots of forums and such were talking about it. Plus the 4.6 was going to have some issues meeting the newer emissions standards, so they had to change something soon. I at the time had a 5th gen, and wasn't happy with it's overall performance and was chomping at the bit for the new Coyote to hit the streets. But it's time, it is nearing replacement, as the LT1 is calling me.
Yep I remember reading rumors of the Coyote in 09.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #87
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
Everyone "knew" change was comming soon, yeah for like Two years! .. lol, I just got tired of waiting and had only hoped for at least a year without an upgrade.. 6months later.. 5.0 it's all good though.
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #88
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
Another thing I have noticed about the mustang6g group is quite a few of them are not owners of previous mustang platforms. They jumped on the new platform because it actually is a great car with a new kind of appeal...
Same thing is happening with the Corvette, which has more appeal now since it radically departed from the old look, which has improved its appeal to people under the typical age of Vette owners (which is 59).

Quote:
GM design head Ed Welburn stated the Stingray aims for “a bit of a shift to appeal to younger customers,” according to Automotive News. According to market research firm Strategic Vision, the average Corvette buyer is 59 years old. Jan 21, 2013
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #89
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Same thing is happening with the Corvette, which has more appeal now since it radically departed from the old look, which has improved its appeal to people under the typical age of Vette owners (which is 59).
The average Corvette buyers age will never come down all that much, as most younger people can not afford to spend at least $60K or so on a car that in most cases is not a daily driver. Price is very relative to average buyers age in most cases I would tend to think...
Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #90
pdoherty972

Quote:
The average Corvette buyers age will never come down all that much, as most younger people can not afford to spend at least $60K or so on a car that in most cases is not a daily driver. Price is very relative to average buyers age in most cases I would tend to think...
That's of course true, but for snagging those few buyers not in their late 50s that DO buy expensive cars (Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc) the new design of the Stingray is helping Chevy get some of those customers' dollars.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #91
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
They are looking for it to appeal to younger people, who may be open to purchasing something else when they are ready to purchase a two-seater. They don't have to move the average down a lot, they just need to garner interest at an earlier age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
That's of course true, but for snagging those few buyers not in their late 50s that DO buy expensive cars (Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc) the new design of the Stingray is helping Chevy get some of those customers' dollars.
Exactly. If they can attract 100 new buyers every year, that's about a 1% lift in sales volume (assuming they don't lose buyers). If they also lower the average age by a few years, then they may get a few more that buy multiple vettes.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #92

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
They are looking for it to appeal to younger people, who may be open to purchasing something else when they are ready to purchase a two-seater. They don't have to move the average down a lot, they just need to garner interest at an earlier age.

Exactly. If they can attract 100 new buyers every year, that's about a 1% lift in sales volume (assuming they don't lose buyers). If they also lower the average age by a few years, then they may get a few more that buy multiple vettes.
I see it this way....Corvette has always sold to older, higher-income types as a status symbol of economic success...lol...

Lower the Corvette price and make it affordable, the upper-crust buyers will move on to something more exclusive....It won't be expensive enough to be desirable....It's a catch-22.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #93
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I see it this way....Corvette has always sold to older, higher-income types as a status symbol of economic success...lol...

Lower the Corvette price and make it affordable, the upper-crust buyers will move on to something more exclusive....It won't be expensive enough to be desirable....It's a catch-22.
Except they aren't lowering the price or making it affordable - in fact it went up again this year. :-P
Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #94
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Just to throw some more gas on this fire lol.

Motorweek review just popped up and its pretty positive for the most part as are the others:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo-road-test

But you just gotta love this quote:
Quote:
Now for the bottom line. Camaro prices start at about $27,000. Don't stop there. The Camaro SS is a certifiable bargain at just about $37,000. You'll want to spend more, and it'll be worth it. Add on the magnetic dampers, the blatty dual-mode exhaust, some color-keyed trim, and you're looking at more like $45,000. The stats are similar and still, that's a few thousand dollars shy of where the Shelby GT350 gets started--and far less expensive than the track-tuned GT350R.

The Shelby's a 526-horsepower feast, and for numbers geeks, the 707-horsepower Hellcats rule the spec sheets. But for sheer straight-line performance and convincing sportscar realness, none of those are as big a bargain--as big a win--as the new Camaro SS.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #95
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
Agree 100%. There are a lot of genuinely decent and open minded Mustang owners on that site, but they are the quiet majority in the face of the blowhard storm.
FocusRS on that site hurts my brain as well... He constantly argues about how the Mustang backseat is bigger so that somehow makes the Camaro complete trash...

If slapping people through computer screens was possible I'd have done it multiple times.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #96
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
FocusRS on that site hurts my brain as well... He constantly argues about how the Mustang backseat is bigger so that somehow makes the Camaro complete trash...

If slapping people through computer screens was possible I'd have done it multiple times.
That's all they can fall back on to justify there Mustang purchase. They know the SS mops the floor when it come to performance, so they need a excuse. So they use small back seats, the interior is better on mustang, price, ugly, feels like your in a bunker, and the 5.0 is still a better engine. It just makes them feel good that they can still bash the Camaro.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #97
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post

Who buys one of these cars giving a rats ass about how big the back seat is? If you want a big back seat and an American performance car buy a V8 Charger...
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #98
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Who buys one of these cars giving a rats ass about how big the back seat is? If you want a big back seat and an American performance car buy a V8 Charger...
Or one of the more rare SS's.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote