Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Z/28 Smog Check - how to Get those tests running.

Hello Z/28 fans, I bought my car out of state (300 miles) with a CA emissions sticker, so, it passes the inspection, but, it fails the smog test because the monitors (tests) are not running yet.. I could not get the Evap and fuel tests to run, so, I went to the my dealer. I did get the oxygen sensor test to run.. The technician spent 20 min. with me and told me how to drive the car to get the tests to run. Great guy and great Dealership.
Bottom-line, you have to drive it opposite of the break-in procedure and that is why I can't get my tests running.

1. You have to be in "cold start". Overnight cold start. No faking this.
2. You have to start it, no gas, and let it idle for 2 min.
3. Drive it though town to the fwy for a few miles. Drive like a grandma, no air on, no punching it, no stereo, nothing to disrupt the test. Try to keep your speed constant. No fast moves.
4. Get on the fwy, drive 5 miles at a constant speed, preferable in the same gear. Should between 55 and 70.
5. Get off the fwy, turn it off for 10 min.
6. Drive normally back home.

Doing this procedure should get your monitors (tests) running so you can pass smog.

In the 230 miles that I drove my Z/28, I never drove it like that...

I will update this thread when I get all my tests running.

Last edited by hjdca; 11-03-2016 at 09:15 PM.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Hello Z/28 fans, I bought my car out of state (300 miles) with a CA emissions sticker, so, it passes the inspection, but, it fails the smog test because the monitors (tests) are not running yet.. I could not get the Evap and fuel tests to run, so, I went to the my dealer. I did get the oxygen sensor test to run.. The technician spent 20 min. with me and told me how to drive the car to get the tests to run. Great guy and great Dealership.
Bottom-line, you have to drive it opposite of the break-in procedure and that is why I can't get my tests running.

1. You have to be in "cold start". Overnight cold start. No faking this.
2. You have to start it, no gas, and let it idle for 2 min.
3. Drive it though town to the fwy for a few miles. Drive like a grandma, no air on, no punching it, no stereo, nothing to disrupt the test. Try to keep your speed constant. No fast moves.
4. Get on the fwy, drive 5 miles at a constant speed, preferable in the same gear. Should between 55 and 70.
5. Get off the fwy, turn it off for 10 min.
6. Drive normally back home.

Doing this procedure should get your monitors (tests) running so you can pass smog.

In the 230 miles that I drove my Z/28, I never drove it like that...

I will update this thread when I get all my tests running.
Mine took a little over 400 miles, normal driving.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
hjdca

Update... I did this procedure twice, the second time with 20 miles constant on the fwy. The smog fuel test started running.. only Evap is still not running, but, it is not needed for the smog certificate. I went back and they passed the car and gave me the smog certificate. I am good to go ! Great guidance from GM Smog Tech at the Dealer ! Thanks !!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
CA. <--- A joke state.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
CA. <--- A joke state.
You're the joke. Lol. You TX chumps are always talking shit. Must be a "small hands" thing?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
hjdca

Quote:
CA. <--- A joke state.
At least we have turns and canyons to carve..... and trees and hills to look at...

Honestly, before CATS came in 1976, smog alerts all the time in LA... Then, by late 80s or 90s all the smog was gone.... LA and the Valley are so clear now all the time.. So LA needs CATS in cars.., but, Except of course in my 70 Chevelle SS396, no Cats... Buy 1975 or earlier in CA and you can do what ever you want to your engine... No worries...

Hate to say it, but, CATS is the best thing that every happened to LA..., but, I like the lope, sound, and smell of my Chevelle...

Last edited by hjdca; 11-13-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Oh.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Thanks for posting this information - we just picked up two cars from out of state, both with CA emissions that we have to get registered. Both are new - so will be interesting to see if we have to get smog with original MSO in hand.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Thanks for posting this information - we just picked up two cars from out of state, both with CA emissions that we have to get registered. Both are new - so will be interesting to see if we have to get smog with original MSO in hand.
My recommendation:

1. Before going to the DMV, get a smog certificate. The DMV will make you go back and get it anyway and you have to wait in line twice... You need the actual paper certificate, it is not an online transfer of data. The sticker under the hood with the California numbers is required by the smog place..
2. Before doing the actual test, ask the tech guy to hook up the code reader and make sure all the test are running. This way you will not fail the test, and it will cost you another $10 for a retest.. Note: I had three tests that were not running - EGR, Fuel, Evap..
3. If any of the test are not running, just follow the procedure above, it works perfectly and all my tests were running pretty quickly after I started following the procedures.
4. When you go register at the DMV , they will do a visual inspection. They check for the sticker under the hood with the CA numbers and the VIN.
5. Mine was untitled, with 300 miles, and bought from a dealer out of state, -- and the DMV required -- a signed Certificate of Origin, Bill of Sale, Odometer reading declaration, and a smog certificate.

Last edited by hjdca; 11-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:38 PM   #10
camcamlt4

Drives: Z28
Tried it for just under 400 miles, did the drive cycle many times. O2 and Evap still won't set, car is all stock :(
camcamlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:50 AM   #11
CamayroZ

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcamlt4 View Post
Tried it for just under 400 miles, did the drive cycle many times. O2 and Evap still won't set, car is all stock :(
My state requires 2 of the 3 to be set to run through the emission test. This is how I was able to get mine to pass. One of the 3 I set after attempting various "drive cycles", my GM technician friend Forced another with the GM service tool, and so I had 2 of the 3 to run through the test. This all happened after a battery change on a 100% stock car as well.
CamayroZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:18 PM   #12
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
CA. <--- A joke state.
and many more
But go to Germany and try to pass the TUV
Just a little rust anywhere and you fail.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #13
camcamlt4

Drives: Z28
It hit 500 miles on the odometer and my scanner beep, O2 is set!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally can pass smog
camcamlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote