The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Definitely need to figure out a way to make it run longer. There we a hell of a lot more cars drag racing at the fest this year. A person that wants to be competitive drag racing really doesn’t have a chance to watch other runs, participate in auto x, or check out the car show.

Plus most cars run better when it’s a bit cooler at night.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
So here is my input as a v6 racer and as a brand new drag racer as well. I went to learn and have fun and potentially set the LGX record.. I had no anticipation of winning a trophy as I knew there would be faster V6 cars there.

Pro's to running the time category is it makes it alot more fun to watch I love the idea of v6 vs v8 and i4 all running together because of similar times..

Con's are for brand new drivers learning like myself I ran a 12.1 12.1 12.0 12.0 and then an 11.8 simply because I was learning how to launch and get better but I would have disqualified myself simply because I launched better on my last go with a 1.9 60ft.. This would be frustrating to lose in this situation..

For those people that know their cars know what RPM launch is going to get the close to what time and DA effects are going to it makes sense.

Just something to think about.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
So here is my input as a v6 racer and as a brand new drag racer as well. I went to learn and have fun and potentially set the LGX record.. I had no anticipation of winning a trophy as I knew there would be faster V6 cars there.

Pro's to running the time category is it makes it alot more fun to watch I love the idea of v6 vs v8 and i4 all running together because of similar times..

Con's are for brand new drivers learning like myself I ran a 12.1 12.1 12.0 12.0 and then an 11.8 simply because I was learning how to launch and get better but I would have disqualified myself simply because I launched better on my last go with a 1.9 60ft.. This would be frustrating to lose in this situation..

For those people that know their cars know what RPM launch is going to get the close to what time and DA effects are going to it makes sense.

I don't think there would be any rule that said you couldn't put yourself in a faster class if you wanted to. Just like brackets for those guys that are on the line, you pick and do the best you can. We have to remember this is a "fun" event first, and if we get away from that and make it so competitive, you will drive many away those that ONLY drag their cars at this event. The weekend warriors that drag race, have events all year long to be competitive with. We all love competition, bragging rights and just seeing what our cars can do.

We have a whole year to see what options are out there and how to make it competitive, fun, and help those that are their for the first time, learn a lot and have them "enjoy" their cars on a different level.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I don't think there would be any rule that said you couldn't put yourself in a faster class if you wanted to. Just like brackets for those guys that are on the line, you pick and do the best you can. We have to remember this is a "fun" event first, and if we get away from that and make it so competitive, you will drive many away those that ONLY drag their cars at this event. The weekend warriors that drag race, have events all year long to be competitive with. We all love competition, bragging rights and just seeing what our cars can do.

We have a whole year to see what options are out there and how to make it competitive, fun, and help those that are their for the first time, learn a lot and have them "enjoy" their cars on a different level.

I agree this should be a festival first and competition last.. I had a blast and will be back next year for sure!

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #19
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post

When you're bracket racing and you know you have the win, you always shut it down so you don't break out.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What about just letting cars run for a curtain amount of time (ex. 9-12), which keeps the track moving and allows for more runs. Have the drivers be responsible to turn in their fastest time slip to the booth if they want to run in "classes" after that. Then everyone can run regardless of test n tune or grudge or against friends or whatever but still have times that qualify for the main events. Also is it possible to open the track back up Friday night for call outs, grudge races or even friend vs friend for a couple hours assuming Fridays event was done at 5, maybe be back for 7-9pm to get some of that out of the way. For those guys running the camarocross on Saturday which I did, there was 0 time to get any drag racing done.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackCamaroSS View Post
What about just letting cars run for a curtain amount of time (ex. 9-12), which keeps the track moving and allows for more runs. Have the drivers be responsible to turn in their fastest time slip to the booth if they want to run in "classes" after that. Then everyone can run regardless of test n tune or grudge or against friends or whatever but still have times that qualify for the main events. Also is it possible to open the track back up Friday night for call outs, grudge races or even friend vs friend for a couple hours assuming Fridays event was done at 5, maybe be back for 7-9pm to get some of that out of the way. For those guys running the camarocross on Saturday which I did, there was 0 time to get any drag racing done.
Good idea! I like it.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #22
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
I had plenty of fun over the weekend but only got 1 run in Friday morning. before they closed the test n tune lanes. I'm not interested in competing since my ability to cut a light isn't what it used to be. I do still enjoy just running the car though.

In previous years, people complained there weren't enough classes to make for good competition. The mods listened and created more classes to make things more even. More classes means more time so I kinda understand the problem.

I don't think running indexes really helps though. If my car runs consistent 11.9s and someone detunes their 10 second car to run low 11s, we run heads up and I have no chance again unless the other driver screws up.

I would like to see at least 1 lane for grudge/test n tune stay open. Got a callout, bring both cars to the lane together. Just want to make a pass you can do that too.

In any case the weekend was a blast and I will be back next year to do it all again.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #23
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
I had plenty of fun over the weekend but only got 1 run in Friday morning. before they closed the test n tune lanes. I'm not interested in competing since my ability to cut a light isn't what it used to be. I do still enjoy just running the car though.

In previous years, people complained there weren't enough classes to make for good competition. The mods listened and created more classes to make things more even. More classes means more time so I kinda understand the problem.

I don't think running indexes really helps though. If my car runs consistent 11.9s and someone detunes their 10 second car to run low 11s, we run heads up and I have no chance again unless the other driver screws up.

I would like to see at least 1 lane for grudge/test n tune stay open. Got a callout, bring both cars to the lane together. Just want to make a pass you can do that too.

In any case the weekend was a blast and I will be back next year to do it all again.
I wasn't there so i can't speak for time alottment but organization seems to be the main issue creating problems. I experienced this at Fest 7 last year maybe we need a small group to help the track figure out who is there and who is not. I get finals and qualifying are a chunk but some better organizing and some competent volunteers to help would go a long way towards maximizing runs and keeping things moving. They have plenty of lanes and plenty of room in staging to leave some lanes open for test and tune until finals on the last day they just need the help i think. Having them radio the announcer or communicate with the trackside worker at the staging lane could help speed it up.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I wasn't there so i can't speak for time alottment but organization seems to be the main issue creating problems. I experienced this at Fest 7 last year maybe we need a small group to help the track figure out who is there and who is not. I get finals and qualifying are a chunk but some better organizing and some competent volunteers to help would go a long way towards maximizing runs and keeping things moving. They have plenty of lanes and plenty of room in staging to leave some lanes open for test and tune until finals on the last day they just need the help i think. Having them radio the announcer or communicate with the trackside worker at the staging lane could help speed it up.
For an amateur event it was extremely well organized. I've been to plenty of other events where you get stuck sitting in lanes for hours, barely any track time... At the Fest the lanes moved fast, plenty of track time for everyone, and it even finished ahead of schedule for the finals.

Some tricks I've learned over the years:
- pit next to a PA speaker
- get a copy of the run order/lane assignments from the tower, tape it to trailer, dash...
- 3/4 days prior start drinking water and pediolyte like crazy
- day of ... keep drinking water and pediolyte like crazy, keep the electrolytes up
- pace yourself, entering multiple events/classes sounds fun, you need down time so does your car
- reduce expectations, increase patience, focus on fun... it's not the US Nationals

My only recommendations is to keep fine tuning the street oriented classes so the really fast street cars aren't forced into Unlimited. And keep Unlimited truly Unlimited..Run What You Brung with a Camaro body.

Maybe open up the grudge to all makes/models. Those Mustangs/Challengers that want to stir crap up at the hotel. Get the word out to them to join the grudge class. And put the grudge time right in the run order.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #25
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
For an amateur event it was extremely well organized. I've been to plenty of other events where you get stuck sitting in lanes for hours, barely any track time... At the Fest the lanes moved fast, plenty of track time for everyone, and it even finished ahead of schedule for the finals.

Some tricks I've learned over the years:
- pit next to a PA speaker
- get a copy of the run order/lane assignments from the tower, tape it to trailer, dash...
- 3/4 days prior start drinking water and pediolyte like crazy
- day of ... keep drinking water and pediolyte like crazy, keep the electrolytes up
- pace yourself, entering multiple events/classes sounds fun, you need down time so does your car
- reduce expectations, increase patience, focus on fun... it's not the US Nationals

My only recommendations is to keep fine tuning the street oriented classes so the really fast street cars aren't forced into Unlimited. And keep Unlimited truly Unlimited..Run What You Brung with a Camaro body.

Maybe open up the grudge to all makes/models. Those Mustangs/Challengers that want to stir crap up at the hotel. Get the word out to them to join the grudge class. And put the grudge time right in the run order.
Some of those guys that came to the hotel need there egos hurt.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #26
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I like the idea of adding in time for grudge racing into the schedule. Several folks from our Camaro club have crashed Challenger Fest at Beech Bend a few years & those guys were great to them. Invited them to line up & race, & even invited them to come out to eat with them after the event. I have also gone to Test & tune days in BG & had fun getting to know & run with some Mustang guys there (it was all good until I beat one of them LOL, Beat by a girl in a V6 Camaro - ouch). Not opposed to some of those guys joining in on the fun.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #27
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
The 11 sec group/12 second group/13 second group thing is called index racing... they had it at the lsx shootout. It's fun

And also.... I will just go out and say it... because everyone thinks it.....

Who the hell cares about bracket racing? Can we just take that out and either replace it with index or more tnt/call out time?

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #28
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Well I for one care about bracket racing. It was developed to even the playing field and give folks a chance to compete no matter their budget. It is a hell of a lot of fun to race against the big dogs when you are low on the totem pole. It is a blast to get blown away and it is a blast to beat a hard core track prepped car too. I had a blast for 5 years competing in bracket racing at LS fest in the 5th generation Camaro class. I made it through at least a round or 2 every year & finished in the money the last year it was run. It is a great place to learn and feel you have a chance no matter your skill level or the car you have.