Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #15
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
I have a TS stage 3.2 VVT CAM. I went with what Texas speed recommended, Circle D 3200.
I’ve yet to race my car, but it is my DD and I hate the stall. I’m going with the 3.91 gears within a few months. Maybe that will help. But right now in my DD scenario it just feels like I’m screaming around town at the speed limit. No cruising at under 2500rpms. Can’t even use 6th gear below about 65mph (I think that’s due to my cam). Mild/normal daily driving isn’t fun. But hard pulls and breaking the speed limit is now twice as fun and 3 times as easy. I still wouldn’t give up my cam to go back to stock stall.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
That's weird. Mine is noticeable at part throttle but nothing crazy. I did ask my tuner to make sure the converter is locked up as much as possible at part throttle and light loads to keep a stockish feel while driving and unlock at WOT.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
I have a TS stage 3.2 VVT CAM. I went with what Texas speed recommended, Circle D 3200.
I’ve yet to race my car, but it is my DD and I hate the stall. I’m going with the 3.91 gears within a few months. Maybe that will help. But right now in my DD scenario it just feels like I’m screaming around town at the speed limit. No cruising at under 2500rpms. Can’t even use 6th gear below about 65mph (I think that’s due to my cam). Mild/normal daily driving isn’t fun. But hard pulls and breaking the speed limit is now twice as fun and 3 times as easy. I still wouldn’t give up my cam to go back to stock stall.
I wonder if that is as much your Cam as it is the Stall? I bet the 3.91's will help.

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
smegal417

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
3200 is too tight for that cam. It needs 3400 and above. I know this because I have 3.91s and that same stall. You're leaving performance on the table, I'm switching to a 3700 this winter.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
smegal417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
smegal417

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanV8 View Post
I wonder if that is as much your Cam as it is the Stall? I bet the 3.91's will help.

Dan
His tuner sucks. I have the same setup with 3.91s and it's fine for dd. The stall is too tight for racing use however. And hopefully he out an auxiliary trans cooler on or he's just gonna burn up his trans.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #20
smegal417

Quote:
I currently have a 2011 SS with L99. Mods I have done or will be doing are as follows.

Roto-Fab CAI

Kooks Long Tube Headers with Hi Flow Cats and Jet Hot Coating

3.91 Rear gears

GPI SS1 VVT Cam with all supporting valve train goodies.

This will be a STREET CAR ONLY. I have never had an automatic Hot Rod before only Manuals. So my experience with Torque converters is basically nil. I know this Cam can be run on the Stock Converter So??? What are the benefits and disadvantages going with an aftermarket converter?

If I decide to go with an aftermarket converter which Stall Speed?

3000-3200?

3200-3400?

3400-3600?

and Why???

Will it affect Streetability and how??

Thanks!

Dan
Go with what they recommend. Not what the internet gurus do.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #21
MeanV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun View Post
https://youtu.be/5DFyTeGJGKw

Link to idle video.
Thanks!!! I appreciate the time you took to do the video for me. I Love the sound! I think the LT Kooks with Hi-Flow Cats, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, and Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust should give me the sound I am looking for without being overly obnoxious (been there done that)
I know the performance I am looking for will be there. Just a little teeth in the bite.
So did you get someone fairly close to you to do the install and tune? I have not found anyone within 200 miles of me that is supportive of the VVT cam. You like yours?
I just have to figure out a way to get mine to Little Rock for a week so Ryan and the boys can do their magic.
Thanks Again!!

Dan
Old 11-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
MeanV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegal417 View Post
Go with what they recommend. Not what the internet gurus do.

That is probably the Best advice anyone could give. I do like to hear what people think from hands on experience in their own DD. Not necessarily what they think because they think they are a Guru!

Dan
Old 11-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
smegal417

Quote:
That is probably the Best advice anyone could give. I do like to hear what people think from hands on experience in their own DD. Not necessarily what they think because they think they are a Guru!

Dan
In my DD experience, I went with a circle d 3B stall. 3200-3400. I have the vvt 3.2, supporting mods and 3.91 gears. The car seems to have tons of power. Seems being the key word here, because my 60' times are almost identical with 20" all season tires and 17" drag radial pros. After extensive trans tuning the results were the same. The stall is simply to tight. The better choice would've been the 3400-3600, and that recommendation came directly from circle d. I am boosting mine next yr and they recommended the looser 3700 stall, any competent tuner can make these cars drive like stock. Mine drives pretty well, aside from the occasional lunging at low speeds, once again due to it being too tight.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #24
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Mean, you NEED a better converter with the L99...if you don't you are doing it wrong.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #25
MeanV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Mean, you NEED a better converter with the L99...if you don't you are doing it wrong.
I definitely plan on a Stall. I am sure the Boys at GPI will steer me in the right direction. I wish they were closer but I will deal with it one way or the other. I just did not want to create something that was a PIA to drive on the street. Like I said I have been there done that before. These Computer tuned engines and automatic transmission cars are something totally out of my wheel house. Now my 80, 4 speed Corvette with a Roller cam, Holley fed , 383 Stroker. I can Handle it. If I have a need for more Noise and Power I can just hop in it. Not much of a Cruisin car and definitely not a DD.

Dan
Old 11-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #26
Kajun

Drives: 2013 1SS L99
Quote:
Thanks!!! I appreciate the time you took to do the video for me. I Love the sound! I think the LT Kooks with Hi-Flow Cats, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, and Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust should give me the sound I am looking for without being overly obnoxious (been there done that)
I know the performance I am looking for will be there. Just a little teeth in the bite.
So did you get someone fairly close to you to do the install and tune? I have not found anyone within 200 miles of me that is supportive of the VVT cam. You like yours?
I just have to figure out a way to get mine to Little Rock for a week so Ryan and the boys can do their magic.
Thanks Again!!

Dan

I did the install in my two car garage. I went with the SS1 VVT cam and a Yank 3400 power adder stall. Got a base tune from GPI and then had it Dyno tuned at Futral Motorsports. This winter I'm installing a Vortech blower from ESS. Yes I really like the cam, especially with the stall.
2013 1SS/RS L99-GPI VVT SS1 - TSP 1 7/8 headers with Borla Touring exhaust - ESS Tuning YSI V7 - Fore Innovations Dual pump fuel system - 1" BMR lowering springs - BMR toe rods and trailing arms - Prothane rear cradle bushings - Yank 3400 Stall -

Last edited by Kajun; 11-13-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #27
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
That's a trans / converter tuning issue.

I ran the TSP VVT 3.2 cam with Circle D 3200-3400 sigle disc, TFS GenX 255's, Full Kooks LT's and 3in exhaust, e85, etc., and it drove fine as a DD.

I now run the Circle D billet triple disc 3200-3400 with ProCharger.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #28
champwynn

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
That's a trans / converter tuning issue.

I ran the TSP VVT 3.2 cam with Circle D 3200-3400 sigle disc, TFS GenX 255's, Full Kooks LT's and 3in exhaust, e85, etc., and it drove fine as a DD.

I now run the Circle D billet triple disc 3200-3400 with ProCharger.
i just ordered that converter yesterday for my lsa build. how do you like it?