The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Ran in to another very nice police officer

Got pulled over for chirping my tires yesterday. I waved for the officer to follow me a short distance so we could get off a busy road for safety reasons.

I joked with him saying "I'd only do that if you guys weren't around but you love to hide on me!" He laughed and complimented me on having a nice Camaro.

Then he asked for Driver's License and insurance and that's when my heart sank because yesterday was the first in my life I forgot my wallet at home.

I got 1 ticket for not carrying proof of insurance which will get dropped and for chirping my tires which carries a small fine and supervision which is no big deal. He didn't bother writing a ticket for having no license on me.

Funny thing is I chirped the tires by accident since my ZL1 is moddified but the cop was very cool and didn't try to burn me.

His comment was "you have a clean driving record so let's not ruin that."

Such a very cool and nice guy.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
jcamaro37f

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Got pulled over for chirping my tires yesterday. I waved for the officer to follow me a short distance so we could get off a busy road for safety reasons.

I joked with him saying "I'd only do that if you guys weren't around but you love to hide on me!" He laughed and complimented me on having a nice Camaro.

Then he asked for Driver's License and insurance and that's when my heart sank because yesterday was the first in my life I forgot my wallet at home.

I got 1 ticket for not carrying proof of insurance which will get dropped and for chirping my tires which carries a small fine and supervision which is no big deal. He didn't bother writing a ticket for having no license on me.

Funny thing is I chirped the tires by accident since my ZL1 is moddified but the cop was very cool and didn't try to burn me.

His comment was "you have a clean driving record so let's not ruin that."

Such a very cool and nice guy.

Cause you owned up to and seemed to be respectful and kind.

Its refreshing to see someone NOT say, " F the police" because they gave me a ticket for going 65 in a 25.

I've forgotten my wallet once and got pulled over on a NASA base for 43 in a 25.. owned up to it.. and was respectful. Then found out I forgot my proof of insurance also which I got a ticket for also. Since it was correctable I asked if I could run over and print it out and meet him up when convenient to sign it off. He kindly obliged and ended up ripping my speeding ticket too. It was an honest mistake because the sign was covered by shrubs!

I figure one can't hate the police for doing their job when one is actually doing something illegal.. that never made sense to me.

Nice job OP, enjoy that ZL1!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
I love how OP dictates to the cop where the actual stop will occur. Lmao
Old 08-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
jcamaro37f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post

yeah lmao.. thought that too.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
I do that as well.

I got nailed in Denver, right near an interchange. I made hand motions indicating I would continue to an exit, where I proceeded to a diner, where I pulled in for the stop. Officer said nothing to me about that. I did get a ticket I deserved at that time

There is NOTHING wrong with finding a safe spot to pull over if there aren't shoulders or anything to pull off on.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
jcamaro37f

Ran in to another very nice police officer

lol here in CA.. use of the loud speaker always and usually tell us to take an exit or such if no shoulder... if I was to pull someone over i wouldn't follow them. The word ambush rolls around in my head.

Last edited by jcamaro37f; 08-15-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mis type
jcamaro37f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I got pulled over around 3am for doing about 10 over in a 35mph zone. Told him I was the designated driver and just dropped everyone off. He let me go without a ticket and was really cool about it (Allen PD). I think his priority was finding drunk drivers.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Pi kappa alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I do that as well.

I got nailed in Denver, right near an interchange. I made hand motions indicating I would continue to an exit, where I proceeded to a diner, where I pulled in for the stop. Officer said nothing to me about that. I did get a ticket I deserved at that time

There is NOTHING wrong with finding a safe spot to pull over if there aren't shoulders or anything to pull off on.
Not every cop is going to interpret your "hand signals" the way you think they will. Not every cop will realize that you are continuing to drive in order to find a "safe spot" to pull over. Awful idea in my opinion but to each his own.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Not every cop is going to interpret your "hand signals" the way you think they will. Not every cop will realize that you are continuing to drive in order to find a "safe spot" to pull over. Awful idea in my opinion but to each his own.
In most states you have a legal right to find a safe spot to pull over.

I give you exhibit A as to why I would go after any cop that objected (and the reason it is legal to do so).

In this case, the car was not even over the white line. It is reasonable for the officer to not have issues with you pulling off at the next exit or into a parking lot. Safer for you and them.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Pi kappa alpha

Quote:
In most states you have a legal right to find a safe spot to pull over.

I give you exhibit A as to why I would go after any cop that objected (and the reason it is legal to do so).

In this case, the car was not even over the white line. It is reasonable for the officer to not have issues with you pulling off at the next exit or into a parking lot. Safer for you and them.

When you continue to drive with flashing lights behind you, the officer has no idea of your intentions or current state of mind. Thus, making the situation more unpredictable for both you and them. If an officer believes the spot you pulled over at to be unsafe he has many means of letting you know that (like the speaker system as stated in the above post). Again, I would advise against anyone doing this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
When you continue to drive with flashing lights behind you, the officer has no idea of your intentions or current state of mind. Thus, making the situation more unpredictable for both you and them. If an officer believes the spot you pulled over at to be unsafe he has many means of letting you know that (like the speaker system as stated in the above post). Again, I would advise against anyone doing this.
Yes, if he believes it is unsafe, he can use his loudspeaker. Until that happens, I'll put on my turn signal to acknowledge I know he is behind me, and try to make it clear I will pull over as soon as it is safe.

I disagree with you saying that people shouldn't do this. The cops I've met personally agree with this when I've discussed it with them. I've also NEVER had an issue in being pulled over by doing this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Pi kappa alpha

Quote:
Yes, if he believes it is unsafe, he can use his loudspeaker. Until that happens, I'll put on my turn signal to acknowledge I know he is behind me, and try to make it clear I will pull over as soon as it is safe.

I disagree with you saying that people shouldn't do this. The cops I've met personally agree with this when I've discussed it with them. I've also NEVER had an issue in being pulled over by doing this.
Well it's clear we're not going to change each others stance on this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
My biggest fear as far as these situations go would be seeing a cop get run over because I screwed up and a cop had to stand next to busy traffic just to do his job. I pointed to a turn off where there was plenty of room and the officer nodded so I knew he was aware of what I was going to do.

Here is another trick to make things easier for police. Keep your hands on the steering wheel when he/she approaches your car.

Since I left my wallet at home he only wrote me a warning for not having my DL instead of a ticket. Chirping the tires got me a ticket but he had to write it, I pay that off I'll get supervision and that won't go to my insurance company. The ticket for not having proof of insurance will get dropped when I show the court my vehicle is insured.

He could have arrested me for chirping the tires and the bond for that is $120 so he did take mercy on me, the bond for not having your insurance is $2000. It pays to be cool.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
I met a really cool cop a couple of weeks ago on a quick trip I had to make to Oklahoma. I hadn't seen my dad in over 10 years and I had went to pick my son up in Ok. So after driving around all day Saturday trying to find people who knew where any of my family may have been I was getting a little discouraged. It was about 8p.m. and we passed up some houses and I recognized a house that was where a girl my dad used to date lived. I figured I would go there as my final attempt. All they could do is say no, right. So anyway, come to find out her mom said they were still seeing each other and gave me both of their #'s. I got a hold of my dad and found out he was up by Greenville which was about an hour and a half from where I was at. I get to a place out there where I stop to call and get the rest of the directions on how to get where he is exactly. It had been hot all day and we had the windows up with the a/c on. It had finally cooled down and I rolled my windows down and opened up the sunroof. We were literally out in the middle of no where and it was pitch black outside. My son said he wanted to hear my car with the windows down. I waited for a car to pass that was coming toward us and once it was out of view and no one else was around I got on it for a minute then let off. Next thing I know here comes a car behind me moving pretty quick then the lights come on. I have not been pulled over in years. I pull over and turn my car off and the officer walks up with this big smile on his face and asks me what was all of that about. I told him I was on my way to meet up with my dad who I had not seen in years and that my son wanted to hear my car with the windows rolled down. I told the officer I thought since I was in the middle of no where that it wouldn't be any harm to oblige my son's request. He laughed and then said it sounded like my car was stickin a little bit. Now, I had never heard that term before so I probably had a dumb look on my face. He told me to start it for him then he said, "yeah I'd say it's stickin a little." I asked him if he was talking about the cam and he said yes and that he was an ex racer. Then he asked for my license and insurance. So for some stupid reason I accidentally pulled out my CHL and gave it to him, maybe it was just a reflex per say. He told me what I had given him then proceeded to ask me where my weapon was. I told him it was locked in the glove box and he said good deal and walked back to his cruiser. Now before anyone says anything about my weapon being locked in the glove compartment, I actually just put it there when we made that last call to my dad for the rest of the directions because he was at a bar, shooting in a pool tournament. Anyway, so we are sitting there for a few minutes and I see another cruiser pull up. I am thinking to myself, I must really be in trouble because something is usually wrong when another unit arrives. Finally the officer comes back and gives me everything back with a warning. He actually told me thank you for actually stopping because their units are not equipped to deal with cars like mine and that they would have never been able to catch me. Then he starts laughing and tells me to quit showing out and then I was on my way.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote