The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
Dang...that's some good photoshop mojo there
It's an old pic from a Mustang forum I used to post on. Not mine, but yes a true artist.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'm surprised, no "on the dash" responses yet.

Subscribed. My CPL came in the mail a few weeks ago. I've got my other vehicle all figured out- plenty of room under the front seat for a lockbox with a drawer setup. The Camaro...there's not a whole lot of room. Anywhere. Unless I wanted to put a lockbox in the trunk, which I don't really want to do.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
OP, I'm trying to understand the need for a second concealable firearm strictly for the vehicle.

Action vs reaction the bad guy will always have the advantage IF they get to your window, weapon ready. If you are concerned about quickly reacting to a robbery or carjack, practice drawing from you concealed position while sitting in your car. Like everything, repetitive conditioning will promote muscle memory.

Trust me when I tell you that if you ever have to deal stress of a shooting situation, your going to forget and it's important to keep things simple. Focus on the firearm and method of carry you chose and not on guns discreetly concealed around the car. If you method of carry isn't comfortable when you drive, find a different mode of carry. IMO your firearm should only be secured in your vehicle when you are going to be at a place where it isn't legal to carry concealed.

I've had a few friends with the same issues you are having. It's amazing how inducing a little stress on them made them forget about the guns holstered between the seat, in the drivers door or some other location.

I've used simunition guns to drive my point home (that stress thing I mentioned). Even telling them "at some point during my contact with you, I'm going to shoot you". When they react, usually some confusion occurs because they are trying to think about which gun to reach for. The point of that particular exercise was to judge reactions, not winning or loosing.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
OP, I'm trying to understand the need for a second concealable firearm strictly for the vehicle.

Action vs reaction the bad guy will always have the advantage IF they get to your window, weapon ready. If you are concerned about quickly reacting to a robbery or carjack, practice drawing from you concealed position while sitting in your car. Like everything, repetitive conditioning will promote muscle memory.

Trust me when I tell you that if you ever have to deal stress of a shooting situation, your going to forget and it's important to keep things simple. Focus on the firearm and method of carry you chose and not on guns discreetly concealed around the car. If you method of carry isn't comfortable when you drive, find a different mode of carry. IMO your firearm should only be secured in your vehicle when you are going to be at a place where it isn't legal to carry concealed.

I've had a few friends with the same issues you are having. It's amazing how inducing a little stress on them made them forget about the guns holstered between the seat, in the drivers door or some other location.

I've used simunition guns to drive my point home (that stress thing I mentioned). Even telling them "at some point during my contact with you, I'm going to shoot you". When they react, usually some confusion occurs because they are trying to think about which gun to reach for. The point of that particular exercise was to judge reactions, not winning or loosing.
Not to speak for OP but I take mine out of my holster since I carry mine appendix. It is easier to take it out and have it more readily available in case I am seated with my seat belt on.

Also not to mention, it is uncomfortable driving.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

OP There is a spot right next to the front seat. When you are driving your right leg covers it up.
What happened to the driver's seat, cigarette burn, bullet hole, or too many beans?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
WHERE CAN I KEEP MY GUN IN MY CAR?

This is a question commonly asked, but rarely able to be answered. You may keep, with or without a license, a firearm in your "private conveyance", otherwise known as a vehicle. Fl. Stat. s. 790.251(5) states "it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use." The important, and most often misunderstood, parts of this provision are the phrases "securely encased" and "not readily accessible". "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; orin a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access. Fl. Stat. 790.001(17) (emphasis added). An important note in the list underlined previously is that whatever you keep your gun in it must be closed but not necessarily locked. Now, there is the second option of storing your gun in your vehicle where it is not "readily accessible for immediate use". "readily accessible for immediate use" is when "a firearm or other weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as easily and quickly as if carried on the person." Fl. Stat. 7903001(16). Keep in mind, this statute does not require you to carry your firearm securely encased and not readily accessible for immediate use; the statute states that either way is lawful. Also, if you do have a concealed carry license, remember, that you can carry it in any place but for those listed previously.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
I recommend the "Fast Draw Quick Draw Gun Magnet". You basically screw this powerful plastic-coated magnet somewhere and your gun sticks to it upside down, sideways, however you want. It can hide a gun completely out of sight in the most unsuspected location. Assuming you have a gun already on you, your car gun can be up under a seat or under the dash. You sound cautious about the placement as well you should be. Good luck.
Thats seems like a good idea.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #22
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
Thats seems like a good idea.
Yeah, I recommended a magnet in the last thread about this. I have to think that a magnet is safe, subtle, and reliable.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #23
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Awesome posts. I really like the magnet idea, but my concern with that is I tend to drive my Camaro... like a Camaro... would it stay put? Don't want a loaded weapon flailing around at my feet haha. I also will likely be carrying at my appendix. I've tried drawing from there while seated and the results were less than stellar. Though I had practiced with a full size USP, not a compact like I plan on using so maybe it'd be easier in that scenario. That's why I want an extra in the car, due to that issue. I also tried 3, 4, and 5 'o clock positions, but it's not nearly as comfortable for me.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #24
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
Keep it on ya lap, cuz these days, they'll test ya thug
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
I once had a LEO friend tell me that "securely encased" could be in a cardboard shoebox on the passenger seat with the lid on.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #26
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Respectfully, I would recommend keeping it simple and know your drills for jams and failures for one carry piece, and train with that one pistol. A defensive firearm is different from a range gun; while I know the manual of arms for five or six pistol types and four rifles, that's different from relying on a defensive firearm while under stress.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
A magnet will work well. The magnet they use for this purpose is very strong. I'd be more worried about being able to take the gun off of the magnet. Haha.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I carry and use my holster on my right hip. It's a pain but it's the only way I carry. You must practice, proactive and practice drawing your weapon until it's second nature. You will be amazed at how difficult it will be but witch practice you will get better.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote