Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
SeaWolfLestat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What do you recommend for the care of black leather seats

I just used Armor All leather care gel and I have to say I'm very disappointed with the results. I want a shiny slippery look but I don't want the seats to be slippery and greasy. The armor all just made them look dull.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Ron71

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convertible
Zaino Brothers spray cleaner followed by their conditioner. Works great and smells like leather. Only found on line though that I am aware.
Ron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Werkstat satin prot

Also, some guy wrote a post that became a sticky for all car care products you can imagine

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I have used 303 Aerospace Protectant for years on both my cars and boats. Nice shine with UV protectant, not oily or slippery like other products.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
SeaWolfLestat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Werkstat satin prot

Also, some guy wrote a post that became a sticky for all car care products you can imagine

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418

Yeah, I looked on that list, but I don't
see anything about a seats or leather.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Sounds like you're looking for a product that will be tough to find. Shine and slippery usually go hand-in-hand.

Silicone is typically what makes things shiny, and it is also what makes then inherently slippery. Tough to find one without the other.

Our Leather and Interior Conditioner goes on shiny, and dries to a satin/low gloss finish. It's not slick so you won't slide all over your seats when you use it, which is a bonus! It also has SPF65 in it, so it does a great job at moisturizing and protecting your seats from the sun.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
SeaWolfLestat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Sounds like you're looking for a product that will be tough to find. Shine and slippery usually go hand-in-hand.

Silicone is typically what makes things shiny, and it is also what makes then inherently slippery. Tough to find one without the other.

Our Leather and Interior Conditioner goes on shiny, and dries to a satin/low gloss finish. It's not slick so you won't slide all over your seats when you use it, which is a bonus! It also has SPF65 in it, so it does a great job at moisturizing and protecting your seats from the sun.

Thanks Nick. I misspoke...I don't mind slippery.... I just don't want to be greasy and have a residue. I am looking to get my seats a bright and shiny.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolfLestat View Post
Yeah, I looked on that list, but I don't
see anything about a seats or leather.
Easy point to be confused by, so heres a little tidbit to clarify things for you.

While your seats are leather, they're not raw leather. They're coated (as pretty much all factory leather is now) with a tinted urethane. OEM leather in most cars is done this way now a days for a few reasons:
Durability - raw leather wears unevenly based on abrasion. Take a look at the interior of a ford King Ranch truck and you'll see what I mean. With people getting in and out of their cars dozens of times a day the bolsters would look entirely different than the rest of the seat... there'd be cosmetic warranty complaints, etc.

Uniformity - most 'common' leather hides are pretty scared up. Cows rub agains fences, bushes, etc.... perfect hides are VERY expensive and reserved for only the most premium of uses. In order to keep you from having a seat that looks like its been thru a war they use the tinted coating. It works almost like texture coat on the interior drywall walls of your house. It textures the surface, masking imperfections and leaving it with a uniform look.

Low maintenance - Raw leather is a pain to care for and your 'average' consumer isn't going to invest in the proper products to keep it looking nice. You can be pretty neglectful of coated leathers, use cheap cleaners, and they'll remain relatively the same.

So all that being said - you don't need a 'leather' or 'seat specific' product. The product CD07 recommended, as well as many others, can be used on any surface of your interior including the 'leather' seats, dash, door panels, center console, etc. Since you're only essentially treating the surface (urethane) theres no real need to invest in 'leather' treatments specifically for your Camaro. One product can treat virtually every surface on the interior of your car that isn't painted or glass.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanVK View Post
Easy point to be confused by, so heres a little tidbit to clarify things for you.

While your seats are leather, they're not raw leather. They're coated (as pretty much all factory leather is now) with a tinted urethane. OEM leather in most cars is done this way now a days for a few reasons:
Durability - raw leather wears unevenly based on abrasion. Take a look at the interior of a ford King Ranch truck and you'll see what I mean. With people getting in and out of their cars dozens of times a day the bolsters would look entirely different than the rest of the seat... there'd be cosmetic warranty complaints, etc.

Uniformity - most 'common' leather hides are pretty scared up. Cows rub agains fences, bushes, etc.... perfect hides are VERY expensive and reserved for only the most premium of uses. In order to keep you from having a seat that looks like its been thru a war they use the tinted coating. It works almost like texture coat on the interior drywall walls of your house. It textures the surface, masking imperfections and leaving it with a uniform look.

Low maintenance - Raw leather is a pain to care for and your 'average' consumer isn't going to invest in the proper products to keep it looking nice. You can be pretty neglectful of coated leathers, use cheap cleaners, and they'll remain relatively the same.

So all that being said - you don't need a 'leather' or 'seat specific' product. The product CD07 recommended, as well as many others, can be used on any surface of your interior including the 'leather' seats, dash, door panels, center console, etc. Since you're only essentially treating the surface (urethane) theres no real need to invest in 'leather' treatments specifically for your Camaro. One product can treat virtually every surface on the interior of your car that isn't painted or glass.
What he said.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolfLestat View Post
I just used Armor All leather care gel and I have to say I'm very disappointed with the results. I want a shiny slippery look but I don't want the seats to be slippery and greasy. The armor all just made them look dull.
Leather Master -brand products, hand's down. Leather Master, which is Reuter's SpA, is the number 1 producer of leather care products for coated leathers.

If you buy a new Ferrari and order there 300 dollar leather kit, you get Leather Masters.

If you buy expensive Italian leather furniture and order their kit, you get Leather Masters.

Use the Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner to remove dirt, soil and stains from coated leather surfaces safely.

Use the Leather Master Protection Cream to protect the leather in a barrier.

Keep in mind that modern leather does not need to be conditioned, moisturized, or "fed." It needs to have a slight slip-factor to avoid abrasion that can remove or reduce the thickness of the coating. Also, avoid leather products that add gloss as this is usually the result of oil or silicone. These will trap dirt which will increase abrasion on the surface.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
SeaWolfLestat

Thank you all for the great suggestions and information.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
LOL
http://www.leathermasters.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Leather Master -brand products, hand's down. Leather Master, which is Reuter's SpA, is the number 1 producer of leather care products for coated leathers.

If you buy a new Ferrari and order there 300 dollar leather kit, you get Leather Masters.

If you buy expensive Italian leather furniture and order their kit, you get Leather Masters.

Use the Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner to remove dirt, soil and stains from coated leather surfaces safely.

Use the Leather Master Protection Cream to protect the leather in a barrier.

Keep in mind that modern leather does not need to be conditioned, moisturized, or "fed." It needs to have a slight slip-factor to avoid abrasion that can remove or reduce the thickness of the coating. Also, avoid leather products that add gloss as this is usually the result of oil or silicone. These will trap dirt which will increase abrasion on the surface.
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
Yep, that's the one!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
BasedSS

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
2014 SS Stainless Works Headers w/ high flow cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Exhaust, Jannety Tune, Hurst short throw, APEX catch can, Tampa Tunning Throttle Body, APEX/Gen5 LED fogs, CAI Intake system, Diode Dynamics LED's, ACS T4 Splitter
BasedSS is offline   Reply With Quote