Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
EndangeredProdigy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Ground Effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
Why bother? They are likely not going to put it on the computer if you are only getting tires. And if they did care that much, they will obviously see the headers anyway and bust your chops for it with or without a tune.

I'd be more concerned that someone would take it for a joy ride and hit it hard with a tune that is not calibrated for your modifications . . .
Will they mess with the tune if I take it in for work without returning it to stock though? I just don't know a whole lot about tuning past the actual putting it on the car.
EndangeredProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
There is no point. If they want to dig they can look at your flash log and see what you did. You can't hide tuning on these cars.
Do dealers mess with tunes if you don't return to stock before taking it in? I just don't want to end up with a bricked tuner. I'm not really familiar with what happens with tunes past putting them on and taking them off and am asking this question because, in the booklet that came with my tuner, it tells me to return the car to stock before taking it to a dealer. Is this strictly to protect the warranty or is there something that could be messed up if I don't return it to stock when doing so? If it's just the warranty, I'm not really worried since my warranty is long gone. However, if it could mess something up, that's the only thing I'm honestly worried about.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Dealers won't touch anything besides the tires. Nothing to worry about.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Dealers won't touch anything besides the tires. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks. I appreciate the fast response.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #19
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndangeredProdigy View Post
Do dealers mess with tunes if you don't return to stock before taking it in? I just don't want to end up with a bricked tuner. I'm not really familiar with what happens with tunes past putting them on and taking them off and am asking this question because, in the booklet that came with my tuner, it tells me to return the car to stock before taking it to a dealer. Is this strictly to protect the warranty or is there something that could be messed up if I don't return it to stock when doing so? If it's just the warranty, I'm not really worried since my warranty is long gone. However, if it could mess something up, that's the only thing I'm honestly worried about.
The dealer will not touch the ECM if all they are doing is a tire swap. If you were going in to get the car worked on and you have used a hand held tuner that would be another story.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #20
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
The dealer will not touch the ECM if all they are doing is a tire swap. If you were going in to get the car worked on and you have used a hand held tuner that would be another story.
Ok. So things like tires and brakes are ok to not return to stock but anything heavier such as actual engine and transmission work would require a return to stock?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Bro use the multi quote function lol
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #22
EndangeredProdigy

I have no idea what that is I just joined this site.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndangeredProdigy View Post
Ok. So things like tires and brakes are ok to not return to stock but anything heavier such as actual engine and transmission work would require a return to stock?
Your hand held tune is probably keeping CEL's from popping up. If anything, keep it in there. Otherwise some enterprising service manager or tech is going to get curious about the fixing the CEL's on an out of warranty vehicle a.k.a. $$$.

The guide sheet that came with tuner says to return to stock so the dealer won't see the tune, which is not a concern in this case.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Your hand held tune is probably keeping CEL's from popping up. If anything, keep it in there. Otherwise some enterprising service manager or tech is going to get curious about the fixing the CEL's on an out of warranty vehicle a.k.a. $$$.

The guide sheet that came with tuner says to return to stock so the dealer won't see the tune, which is not a concern in this case.
Perfect! Thanks for the reply this is all making me much more relieved.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15rs/ss View Post
subscribed. i'm in the same situation
Everyone has been saying that it's ok to leave the tune on as long as they aren't doing actual engine or transmission work. Evidently the tuner only says to return it to stock so that the dealer won't see the tune so, unless you still have a warranty that you are trying to protect, don't worry about returning to stock unless you have to have heavy work done. I mostly have to get my brakes and tires redone as I'm sure you do as well and that can all be done without fiddling with the ECM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Put the car up on jacks and just remove the rims with the tires.

I do this all the time...don't trust peeps with my car.

Unless your getting the car alignment as well..
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I took my car in with a blower, big cam, and headers on it because I kept getting a p0605 code (MIL malfunction). They never mentioned anything and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. No issues with the stuff I had on it.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #28
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I took my car in with a blower, big cam, and headers on it because I kept getting a p0605 code (MIL malfunction). They never mentioned anything and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. No issues with the stuff I had on it.
So you left your tune on while it was in the shop and that didn't cause any problems?

Tags
dealer, high flow cats, long tube headers, tuned