Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
EndangeredProdigy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Ground Effects
Just installed LTs with tune but taking to dealer. Why to return to stock tune?

I just installed a set of Stainless Power Long Tube headers with high flow cats. I have an SCT X4 tuner that I use to tune my vehicle for these LTs. I have to take my car in soon to get new tires on it. Why do I have to return it to stock tune when taking it to the dealer and will this harm my engine with the LTs on it if I only leave it stock tuned while it's at the dealer? I have heard that leaving it stock tuned will cause the engine to run rich but would it hurt it to leave it stock at the dealer just long enough for them to put on tires?
EndangeredProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
15rs/ss

Drives: 2015 Yellow 2SS LT Z28 cai tune
subscribed. i'm in the same situation
15rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Why bother? They are likely not going to put it on the computer if you are only getting tires. And if they did care that much, they will obviously see the headers anyway and bust your chops for it with or without a tune.

I'd be more concerned that someone would take it for a joy ride and hit it hard with a tune that is not calibrated for your modifications . . .
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
No you can drive it for a year without a tune and nothing will happen. And why would you care about your tune just for changing tires?? Makes no sense your not getting warranty work or anything. And if u are your already screwed since you tuned it! They can see even if your return it to stock.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
No you can drive it for a year without a tune and nothing will happen. And why would you care about your tune just for changing tires?? Makes no sense your not getting warranty work or anything. And if u are your already screwed since you tuned it! They can see even if your return it to stock.
Couldn't have said it better myself. No need to return it back to stock, they can tell if its been tuned. Don't sweat it. They are not going to hook up their tool into your OBDII port.

And Welcome to C5!
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Plus if your car is a 2011 as your profile says...warranty is just about done anyways, so just enjoy. Unless you feel like you really need that warranty,than I wouldn't bother.

Mine is also a 2011 and I just had it tuned...I figure I was going to put maybe 3-4k miles on it between now and then end of the warranty. Dealer didn't say anything when I had it in for a state inspection...they Def won't check while putting tires on. If you are that concerned bring it somewhere else for tires, will prob be cheaper anyways.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Why goto dealer for tires anyways?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Agreed, many better places to get tires cheaper!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
There is no point. If they want to dig they can look at your flash log and see what you did. You can't hide tuning on these cars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
Agreed, many better places to get tires cheaper!
I got them to price match for a set and the dealer I take mine to puts them on quicker than the tire shops around me
Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
My warranty is void, that's not what I'm concerned about. The guidebook my tuner came with just said to return to stock when taking it to the dealer. I didn't know if this had to do with some sort of computer thing or if it were strictly warranty related.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. No need to return it back to stock, they can tell if its been tuned. Don't sweat it. They are not going to hook up their tool into your OBDII port.

And Welcome to C5!
Thanks man! Is there a reason other than warranty that I should return the car to stock when taking it in for work? Only reason I'm asking is because the guidebook that came with my tuner recommends that I return to stock before taking it to the dealer.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I got them to price match for a set and the dealer I take mine to puts them on quicker than the tire shops around me
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
EndangeredProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
Plus if your car is a 2011 as your profile says...warranty is just about done anyways, so just enjoy. Unless you feel like you really need that warranty,than I wouldn't bother.

Mine is also a 2011 and I just had it tuned...I figure I was going to put maybe 3-4k miles on it between now and then end of the warranty. Dealer didn't say anything when I had it in for a state inspection...they Def won't check while putting tires on. If you are that concerned bring it somewhere else for tires, will prob be cheaper anyways.
My warranty is already gone since my car has over 100k on it that's not my concern really. What I'm worried about is could it mess up my tune if I took my car in without returning it to stock for some reason?

Tags
dealer, high flow cats, long tube headers, tuned