The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance - break-in, fluids, parts, servicing, etc.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Jack Points for floor jack/jack stands

Anyone look into this yet? I don't even have a C7 yet and I want to know. Is the diff housing aluminum or steel? I've been told not to use the diff as a jacking position if aluminum, but I'm guessing the diff is acceptable for the rear since the car doesn't weigh much.

For jack stand positions, I'd use a set of "Jack Point Jack Stands" (look them up).

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just realized the rear diff isn't even accessible. Anyway, I think I answered my own question. The front and rear cross members of the double wishbone seem sufficient for jacking. Key word is "seems". Just found out they're composite rather than steel or aluminum. They look sturdy though.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
There are 6 recommended points for jacking up the Stingray according to the owner's manual. There are 2 under each side, located roughly near each end of the rocker panels. You can also use the center of the cast aluminum front and rear suspension cradles. Do NOT use the composite springs! Also, for the side locations, you'll definitely want to look under the car before setting the jack. If you get it in the wrong spot and try to lift the car, you can easily crack the rocker panels. Several companies also make jack "pucks" that lock into the jack holes in the frame, and create a spacer to protect the rockers (just like the C5 and C6 Corvette generations).
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
There are 6 recommended points for jacking up the Stingray according to the owner's manual. There are 2 under each side, located roughly near each end of the rocker panels. You can also use the center of the cast aluminum front and rear suspension cradles. Do NOT use the composite springs! Also, for the side locations, you'll definitely want to look under the car before setting the jack. If you get it in the wrong spot and try to lift the car, you can easily crack the rocker panels. Several companies also make jack "pucks" that lock into the jack holes in the frame, and create a spacer to protect the rockers (just like the C5 and C6 Corvette generations).
Ah, so the suspension cradles are cast aluminum. Good deal. Thanks. It's tough to get answers when a forum is so new.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Not to mention when the car is so new, too! FYI you can download a PDF file of the owner's manual for free from Chevrolet. Go to their website, click on the Ownership tab, then Manuals and Videos. You then enter the year and model, and a list of available documents comes up. I got the owner's manual several months before my Stingray!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
Quote:
Besides the 6 lift points noted in the manual, I've heard rumors the car can be also be lifted on the two radiator frame points that hang down slightly in the front. These are the same two points where some people mount Granatelli Bumper Savers. Any idea if these are really lift points too?
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
purpleRac3r

I've looked at those. They are rather small and made of hollow square aluminum tube, roughly an inch across. They are solidly bolted to the main frame, just like C5 &C6 Corvettes. However since they are such light material I strongly do NOT recommend using them as jacking points. They might be ok in a pinch, such as with the "bumper savers" but they have no capacity for holding the weight of the car for extended lengths of time. Play it safe - use only the factory recommended support locations.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
Quote:
I've looked at those. They are rather small and made of hollow square aluminum tube, roughly an inch across. They are solidly bolted to the main frame, just like C5 &C6 Corvettes. However since they are such light material I strongly do NOT recommend using them as jacking points. They might be ok in a pinch, such as with the "bumper savers" but they have no capacity for holding the weight of the car for extended lengths of time. Play it safe - use only the factory recommended support locations.
Same thoughts here about those 2 points. I'm planning on installing bumper savers soon and assume the upper bracket of the savers much rest up agains the frame (I hope).
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote