The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Heat exhaustion risk, high

This has me worried. I know I can't take the heat the way I used to & they are saying young folks are not hydrating & eating like they should. EMT's said that heat on asphalt made the situation worse which is the same as we will be facing. Start hydrating now folks & keep hydrated all day every day. Watch for signs you are getting too much and know your personal signs. Me, it get really irritable so if you see me getting grouchy, tell me to get out of the heat! Here is the link to the story from a concert in Nashville today:

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/mu...at-warped-tour
Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Pediolyte powder works great. 1/2 pack in a bottle of water, repeat all day all week. Much lower sugar than Gatorade. Gotta get those electrolytes way up 3/4 days before the event. Water the day of is not enough.

At the LS Fest at BG a couple years ago, two people in my group at Beechbend ended up in the ER with heat exhaustion. It was low 90s that day.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
A pinch of salt to a glass of water gives you all the electrolytes you'll get from Gatorade with zero sugar.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Another thing we NEED to worry about, our fur buddies! Today I walked out onto the rear deck to put some bird seed into the feeder, mistake as I was barefooted! OMG did that burn.

Just think of our puppies that we let out or take for a walk. They also should be hydrated and kept inside during such weather, they have a fur coat on!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
A pinch of salt to a glass of water gives you all the electrolytes you'll get from Gatorade with zero sugar.
Sodium is one of the four electrolytes you need. Add in calcium,magnesium and potassium and you’ve got it covered. The really good hydration drinks have all four electrolytes and low sugar.

If you do a salt tablet or salt pinch in water a snack like a banana and yogurt along with a protein will help keep the energy up. Running low on potassium or magnesium can really mess you up. If anyone’s hands ever cramp into clenched fists get them a banana.

If you ever watch Tiger W. at a hot day golf tournament. He slams a banana and yogurt before the back 9.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sodium is one of the four electrolytes you need. Add in calcium,magnesium and potassium and you’ve got it covered. The really good hydration drinks have all four electrolytes and low sugar.
There’s actually about a dozen or so electrolytes you need, but the one you lose the most through sweating is salt and is the one most important to replenish if you are sweating a lot and drinking large quantities of water.

I don’t like any artificial or natural supplemental sweeteners in my drinks. At home I mix 1/2 tsp of table salt with 1/4 tsp of Morton’s Salt Substitute to 2 quarts of water. This gives you sodium, chloride, and potassium. Tap and bottled water already have calcium and magnesium. Commercially prepared electrolyte replacements are fine, but greatly overpriced for what they actually do.

In a pinch (pardon the pun), a pinch of salt to one glass of water is a great idea if you find yourself drinking a lot of plain water. It’s the main electrolyte you’re going to need and it’s readily available.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Another tip: when trying to stay hydrated, avoid caffeine & alcohol. Drink just about anything else and it will be better for keeping fluids in you.

And some of the signs of dehydration that I've noticed in myself at previous fests: not sweating when its hot out (typically I catch on to this when I start sweating the instant I drink something), having a mild head ache, and not needing to go to the bathroom all day long. Whenever I notice any one of those things, I down a bottle of water or something as soon as possible. Maybe even two.

Regarding salt loss ... if you get anything from a fast food joint (or even most sit-down restaurants) during the Fest, you probably won't need to add any extra salt to compensate. Its not unusual for just a single meal like that to have enough salt to do you for an entire day. And since most people are eating out 2 or 3 times a day around the Fest, low salt levels probably isn't that big of a concern. Of course, if you deliberately choose meals to avoid salt thats different. My solution in that case is to ... not avoid salt quite so much. Seems simpler that way.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote