The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #127
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Based on all the information on the last couple of pages of the main thread and this one, is there an aftermarket solution should the issue crop up again?

I had the 3 x flush done, and no vibration issue after about 1000 miles so far, but I figured I'd ask for an alternative solution should the dealer not want to cooperate.

I've had issues with Chevy honoring the warranty in the past, and I don't want to get into a tit for tat debate with them.

The dealership I bought the car from has a pretty good reputation, as my family has bought from them for years in the past. I'm kind of hoping that reputation is well deserved. But, I still wanted other options or alternatives even if I have to go after market.
Only one I know of is to tune the TCM to have 0 slip in the later gears. Other members have reported success from doing this but doing so will void your warranty. If you ever need to explore this Avenue it's probably safe to say you're already out of warranty.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #128
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
<rant>

I've experienced the shudder one time (over a year ago) on my 2016 SS. Had it checked out, but nothing was done at the time, although I was aware of the triple flush. I should've pushed harder for the flush back then, and honestly, I've contemplated just taking it back and telling them its doing it again. They can't reproduce it, and it leave no code behind (from what I can tell) but its very well known issue so they would probably perform the proceedure.

But here's my thoughts. At what point, can something like this become a class action suit? I mean...I like the A8 for what it can do, and how it drives when its working well. But this TC issue is just out of hand.

Think about it and all the vehicles affected. Chevy Silverado, Corvette, Camaro (V8, V6, and 4 cylinder), Colorado, GMC Sierra, and Canyon, from the year the A8 was introduced up through 2018...we are still seeing issues with the TC. I might have left out some vehicles...is the Cadillac ATS and CTS also affected? I'd think so.

At this point its just ridiculous. I agree with others, that it could likely be fixed with different programming, but GM doesn't want to do that. I know two 2017 Colorado V6 owners...and both of them are having TC issues. One is getting it replaced right now.

GM just now gave in and finally released a good TCM tune for the "shudder" issue 2015 and 2016 GM midsize trucks that fixes the A6 transmission from stumbling under low rpm, but load conditions. They've released prior tune updates to help the issue, but owners were still having frustrations. This latest tune seems to be the final fix. This was never a mechanical issue, but a tuning issue right from the get to, designed to maximize mpg. A few drivers are reporting a slight decrease in their avg mpg, but the truck now drives great (FYI...I'm mostly happy with my 2015 Colorado without this updated tune, but I can get my truck to do the shudder if I want).

Will GM every say "screw it" and give us a tune that works correctly, but maybe decreases our highway mpg by 0.50???

Last edited by KMPrenger; 07-24-2018 at 11:24 AM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #129
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
GM is a "business". Most big manufacturers no longer stand by their products. Extend and pretend. Unfortunately, making it right, has become old fashioned. Who cares about the 1% that have issues. The other 99% will still buy from us.

Someone will have to sue, to start the ball rolling. I'm more inclined to just dump my car when the problem recurs regularly. My buddy just dumped his after dealing with multiple dealers in the past 6-7 months.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #130
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
GM is a "business". Most big manufacturers no longer stand by their products. Extend and pretend. Unfortunately, making it right, has become old fashioned. Who cares about the 1% that have issues. The other 99% will still buy from us.

Someone will have to sue, to start the ball rolling. I'm more inclined to just dump my car when the problem recurs regularly. My buddy just dumped his after dealing with multiple dealers in the past 6-7 months.
yeah...dont' disagree with you. Except I love the Camaro otherwise, and dumping the car means I'm actually just turning around and spending more money. That ain't right.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #131
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
yeah...dont' disagree with you. Except I love the Camaro otherwise, and dumping the car means I'm actually just turning around and spending more money. That ain't right.

Its only money.

I'm enjoying it until I don't. Then I'll dump it. It aint right.....and life goes on. I saw how much my buddy's blood pressure went up, I am actively trying to avoid that

indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #132
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxbox View Post
Just took mine to the dealership in elizabethtown KY. Quite certain they are replacing the torque converter. i'm in a rental costing me about $25/day and this will probably be a 1.5 to 2 day procedure they said. mine is a 2017 2ss i purchased at this dealership in late may 2017. only has a little over 11,000 miles and the problem started at 10,000 miles.
Why are you paying for a rental this is coverd under your bumper to bumper warranty a loaner vehicle should be provided free of charge.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #133
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
had the triple flush a few months back. The issue returned and I hope the new TQ from GM will have a different design? Does anyone know if the new TQ are different than the older model ones? If they are in fact the same one then i should buy a circle D TQ and drop ship it to the dealership.
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #134
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
I agree with what 01pewterz28 said!
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #135
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Why are you paying for a rental this is coverd under your bumper to bumper warranty a loaner vehicle should be provided free of charge.
I agree he shouldn't be paying for a loaner but isn't Transmission/TC considered powertrain warranty not bumper to bumper?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #136
LittleBloo

Drives: 2016 2LT
Hi everyone.

First off, thank you for this thread.

My 2016 started having the shudder around 39,000 miles. My tires were pretty worn (I like to drive a lot :blush: ) and we thought maybe changing those would help. The worn tires made it feel like the shudder feel like it was going through the steering column. Changing the tires did help, but there’s still a mild shudder. It’s tolerable, but... as someone said earlier, we pay the money we do for a good ride.

I brought the car in today. It’s covered under the Powertrain warranty. The service advisor offered no resistance — he said the problem has come up with other vehicles and they are aware of it. He even mentioned the change in transmission fluid because the original used was “too thin.”

The service advisor mentioned one Camaro owner came in and the flush alone didn’t fix it. I got the sense I was going to get the flush and TC replacement, but I’m waiting to hear. We’ll see.

But again, thank you for the post because it immediate gave me peace of mind that I’m not crazy and there is a potential fix. I’ll check in if any other details are shared and offer an update on how the car feels after the repair!

Edit: The dealer did the flush and it feels immensely better. The service advisor said to give it about 200 miles for the fluid to circulate through the system; until then it might shudder a bit. If it has, I haven’t noticed it. So far, so good. Keeping my fingers cross this fix works. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to go back to get the TC replaced.

Last edited by LittleBloo; 08-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.
LittleBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:13 AM   #137
kinkmangc

Drives: looking and looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBloo View Post
Hi everyone.

First off, thank you for this thread.

My 2016 started having the shudder around 39,000 miles. My tires were pretty worn (I like to drive a lot :blush: ) and we thought maybe changing those would help. The worn tires made it feel like the shudder feel like it was going through the steering column. Changing the tires did help, but there’s still a mild shudder. It’s tolerable, but... as someone said earlier, we pay the money we do for a good ride.

I brought the car in today. It’s covered under the Powertrain warranty. The service advisor offered no resistance — he said the problem has come up with other vehicles and they are aware of it. He even mentioned the change in transmission fluid because the original used was “too thin.”

The service advisor mentioned one Camaro owner came in and the flush alone didn’t fix it. I got the sense I was going to get the flush and TC replacement, but I’m waiting to hear. We’ll see.

But again, thank you for the post because it immediate gave me peace of mind that I’m not crazy and there is a potential fix. I’ll check in if any other details are shared and offer an update on how the car feels after the repair!

Edit: The dealer did the flush and it feels immensely better. The service advisor said to give it about 200 miles for the fluid to circulate through the system; until then it might shudder a bit. If it has, I haven’t noticed it. So far, so good. Keeping my fingers cross this fix works. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to go back to get the TC replaced.

Still OK?

Wish there was a poll on how many experience this problem. Sorry if i missed it. Sounds like a lot having the shudder. But people with failures are more vocal then someone with no issues.
kinkmangc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #138
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm afraid that the only poll that would mean much resides in Chevy's own warranty files. Even that might not be able to identify cars or drivers who would be at a greater risk of encountering this issue.

Norm
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #139
JerseyGTO

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Adding our '18 to the list. 2SS delivered July 2017. TSB done at approximately 25,000 miles this spring. Shudder returned at 27,000 miles. Torque converter replaced in August 2018. So far, so good.
JerseyGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #140
groserm

Drives: 2014 2LS , 1982 Corvette, 2016 RS
Pissed about the shutter issue

I bought one of the first 2016 Camaros in Tampa. Just happened to be at the dealer looking into trading in my 2014 Camaro that I had just got out of the body shop after my neighbor crushed it. The 2016 just rolled off the trucks. The dealer pulled up a nice blue 2016 RS LT1. Gave me payoff on mine.

I have had this shudder issue since my car was new. I thought it was a bad coil pack. My wife's Outlook used to have a similar issue we had the plugs and a couple of coil packs replaced and it cleared up.

I have told the dealer twice about the shutter issue. They did reprogram my transmission a month ago. They never mentioned that there were any know issues. I put a lot of my miles on my car the first 5 months I had it . Used to have a 104 round trip to work. Now I work out of my house so I have only put a thousand miles on it the last couple of years. It has around 16,000 now. So my fluid should have been replaced long ago.

It is hard to drive with the shutter. You either have to back off the pedal or hit the gas. Happens at cruising speeds.

I am calling the dealer tomorrow and ripping into their ass. It is BS GM hasn't put this out. Dealers are just ignoring the complaints.

I am a GM fan. My grandfather retired from Fisher Body in the 1960's. My dad retired from GM in the 90's.

I love the car but the transmission issue makes it unbearable to drive. My dad is selling his 1989 Corvette with 30,000 miles on it. I might trade the Camaro and my wife's Oulook in and get my wife a new car. Then buy my dad's old Vette. Though I have an 1982 Vette sitting in the garage.

I decided to check on the 8 speed transmission because the 2019 Camaro is coming out with the 6 speed auto so I knew there was some type of issue.
groserm is offline   Reply With Quote