Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Selous1908

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 6-speed
ECU tune and smog check

What’s up peeps. You all have been so helpful with your knowledge that I again seek some more wisdom.

I unfortunately live in California which means I can’t have some cool mods like a lot of you. With that said, I was wondering if I got an ECU tune (not California complaint) and later switched back to stock, would I still be able to pass smog? I read somewhere that said I would fail it due to having some record on my car being modded (or something like that)

Thanks in advanced for all the help!
Selous1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't work at a smog shop or anything nor have I had to smog a newer car yet (an '05 was the newest several years ago), but at the time of that smog, there was no problem smog'ing with a tune. I had a completely different LS-based engine in that vehicle and it was no problem. I don't know if there is new tech' that can count flashes or that can even tell if there is a tune in the vehicle (there are certain "flags" a savy tech' could see, depending on the tune/tuner sometimes) and these cars are finally getting close to requiring their first smog check, so we'll find out soon.

I can't validate this opinion with ANY definitive data, but I doubt they'll go to the expense to have software that can count flashes nor actually get into to tune to see changes. A couple people here say that's wrong, but I haven't noticed how those people can back up those claims...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
Selous1908

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 6-speed
I doubt they will go that far too. I hope that by switching back to stock it’ll fly. I don’t have to worry about it for a few years though so out of sight out of mind for now. Thanks for the opinion
Selous1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
As long a check engine light isn't on and readiness conditions are met.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

And those conditions aren't turned off...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
The short answer to this is that it depends where you live. Parts of Colorado now use “California emissions standards”. They do a more in-depth check than most of the other states. They CAN tell if you have ever flashed and they will fail you for it. I had to sell my Viper when I moved to Colorado because they would not pass it, due to the ECM flash. CO testing stations have the technology to recognize an ECM reflash, just like your dealership can recognize it and void your warranty. Having said all that, I would assume since CO uses CA standards I would believe that CA can do this also. But I don’t know for sure since I don’t live in CA. If I did, I’d want to know the answer before I tuned my car.

Most other states just plug in to your OBD port and look for codes, as mentioned above.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
well good thing is you have 8 years now till you have to smog your car lol im tuned and im only 4 years in so i guess well see what happens!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Reasons like this are also why I want to only do CARB-legal stuff. Unfortunately - options are limited and expensive...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Reasons like this are also why I want to only do CARB-legal stuff. Unfortunately - options are limited and expensive...

lol so your car is 100% stock then cause aint shit carb legal anymore
Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

No tuning here!!! HAHAHA!!! The only tune going in here is a canned tune for a blower if I go that route (TCM down the road, too). I've banged my head against this crap for too long. It's also part of the reason for buying the model that gave me the best base to start from so smog-crap wouldn't be an issue.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

haha yea i feel you on that ive modded mine since the first month i had it and wish i just got a zl1 so i wouldnt have to mess with it but i still probably would have
Old 01-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah. I told myself I wouldn't, and by-and-large, I've been a pretty good boy. Even stock, it's stupid fun, but I have always had a power number in my head, and can get there easy and be smog-legal. My better half has to give me a green light, but I think it'll happen. Then - no worries.

I've had to jack with emissions, like you other CA-guys, since my '95 M6 MT1. Then my '02 A4 and headers (with a big stall) got me in trouble at the smog station (CHP didn't like my LTs either, HAHAHA). Finally - my last whip was just too much. This car is going to be perfect after the bigger blower, and I won't touch a thing after that.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
I thought some of the folks here that got 'compliant' tunes were ok with reverting. Imagine buying a 2650R with a CARB legal tune and going back stock, to be told that you flashed and won't pass.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
HoldMyBeer

Drives: 2017 ZL1(Silver) - A10, Stock
The CA smog will not fail you for having a tune unless you have O2 delete or other sensors turned off. I purchased two cars from out of state that both ended up having been tuned and I passed both smog checks when I had to get them smogged to register here in CA