The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 04-30-2024, 05:25 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Help for a Newb...

Ok,

So I've finally decided to have a gaming computer built, and I've been struggling with monitor set-ups.... Full transparency, I'm looking for flight sim, and racing sim games...

So, I was thinking a big curved screen, 49 inch, 32:9 aspect ratio... That was quickly ruled out after a trip to Best Buy and about five minutes of looking at the display with a looped video proved it wont wok for me. I also cant play first person shooter games even on a flat screen as it causes motion sickness very quickly. I worked offshore for many years, rode out many storms, and cant hack the movement of first person games... Go figure... lol...

So, I thinking a triple screen set up may be the way to go.... I'm looking for suggestions on monitors or TV's that will fill the bill.... I'm not using a racing sim set up with the chair and mounts, it'll be on a desk for now.... A pretty good sized desk.... I'll be wanting to either mount the screens to the wall with a three screen wall mount, or a big footed base, rather than the screw clamp type....

So, screen requirements... G-Sync certified, at least 1440, prefer 4K, if the cost is reasonable... 27 inch minimum, and 32 probably a maximum.... though bigger if the mount is a wall mount type... I don't want the screens wrapped around me, but rather tilted in at the sides maybe 40-45 degrees.... I'm not worried about the brand so much as the G-Sync certification.

Thoughts or suggestions on screens and /or mounts are greatly appreciated... The specs are as below, so I'm guessing I can run about any set-up within reason...

Thanks in advance...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:09 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Been sim racing for years. For the $$$, I went with a single 60” OLED tv. Extremely clear and vibrant graphics on 4k. For yourself, with the motion sickness, 3 screens would help with that. To me, OLED tv screens would be cost effective over what 3 monitors would run, imho.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:40 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Been sim racing for years. For the $$$, I went with a single 60” OLED tv. Extremely clear and vibrant graphics on 4k. For yourself, with the motion sickness, 3 screens would help with that. To me, OLED tv screens would be cost effective over what 3 monitors would run, imho.
Thanks, I would love the size, though would it limit the Field of View to the same as a smaller screen, just on a bigger scale… or can the view be “scaled” (if that’s the term) to fit the bigger screen with an overall wider FOV???

I’m off to check out the big screen TV’s… wondering if any are G-sync certified… I’ll find out…

Thanks a bunch…

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-30-2024, 10:54 PM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Most sims allow adjustment of FOV. Based on size of screen and the distance your eyes are from it.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:12 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
So, I was thinking a big curved screen, 49 inch, 32:9 aspect ratio...
Glad you decided against this. Most games do not support the ultra wide res that curved monitors have. Which means most games you'll play will have thick black lines on all four sides when in full screen. Really only good if you play in borderless windowed mode. Then you can have the game in the middle and other stuff on the sides, similar to what a streamer would have set up.

On a 27" or a 32", 4k is overkill. Stick with 2k and save some money. Because monitors are normally smaller and you sit so much closer to them than tvs, you can't really tell the difference between 4k and 2k. Though like mentioned above, I bet you can find a 32" 4k tv cheaper than you can get a 32" 4k monitor. There are more people who buy tv's than there are that buy monitors so companies have to make up for the smaller consumer base by having higher pricing.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:43 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Most sims allow adjustment of FOV. Based on size of screen and the distance your eyes are from it.
On MSFS would this lead to smaller views of say the instruments??? I’ve only ever had flight sim on various laptops… and I’m talking old versions…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Glad you decided against this. Most games do not support the ultra wide res that curved monitors have. Which means most games you'll play will have thick black lines on all four sides when in full screen. Really only good if you play in borderless windowed mode. Then you can have the game in the middle and other stuff on the sides, similar to what a streamer would have set up.

On a 27" or a 32", 4k is overkill. Stick with 2k and save some money. Because monitors are normally smaller and you sit so much closer to them than tvs, you can't really tell the difference between 4k and 2k. Though like mentioned above, I bet you can find a 32" 4k tv cheaper than you can get a 32" 4k monitor. There are more people who buy tv's than there are that buy monitors so companies have to make up for the smaller consumer base by having higher pricing.
Now that’s some useful info, on the screen size 4k vs 2k… Is 2k considered the 1080p. Hell I remember growing up being told, don’t sit so close… you’ll go…. Whatever they said at the moment… lol…

Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

So, I pulled the trigger, and ordered a trio of …

LG 32GP850-B 32-inch QHD (2560 x 1440) UltraGear Gaming Monitor, Nano IPS, 165Hz, 1ms, G-Sync, AMD FreeSync Premium, HDR10, HDMI, DisplayPort, Tilt/Height/Pivot Stand, 3-Side Borderless Design, Black

I have my fathers desk to set them on, and initially I’ll just use the stands, and frame them close, but spread at a wide enough angle to not worry about feeling encapsulated…

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #8
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I ran 3x screens for years now in various setups. Switched to a single ultrawide and never looked back. Personally, I would not want to sit 3 feet from a 40" or bigger screen.

I have yet to play a game that does not support the ultrawide.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote