The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Why Z51 & Magnetic Ride?

I get that question a lot.

I tell people... "My ZL1 had magnetic ride and was smooth as silk whether going down the highway or carving corners on a back country road. I test drove a C7 without it and thought it rode like a gravel truck. I'm not going from something that rode like a Cadillac to something that rode like a gravel truck."

"As far as the Z51 Package, I couldn't get magnetic ride without it and I may never race it, but it's nice to know I have it if I want to race. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."

So what are your reasons for Z51 and magnetic ride? Or for some of the options you chose?
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
I have had the chance to drive all 3 types before acquiring my C7. The base is perfectly fine, and the Z51-only is also fine... both are fine for urban and rural daily driving. Neither rides like a gravel truck, so that IMHO is a misnomer. The Z51 w/ MSRC obviously has the most versatile suspension settings (softest to firmest) and I had the chance to test this setup at Palm Beach Raceway through slaloms, high speed, and swift acceleration, decelration, and braking. My personal conclusion is in the end all 3 types handle like bonafide sports cars. Z51 or not, MSRC or not... they grip the road and are very well-balanced. Firm to firmer to firmest and all 3 suspension types are comfortable too. My 2 cents...
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Maybe my ZL1 spoiled me, cuz when I test drove the C7 without the magnetic ride, I felt every little bump and crack in the road.

Maybe I'm just feeling the difference between a 4200 lb muscle car and a 3200 lb sports car?

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 01-28-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Possibly... MSRC is topnotch. My Z51 (w/o MSRC) rides firm but not like a Mack truck IMO. Just yesterday I was driving through various construction zones full of bumps and cracked roadways near Miami airport and it was firm yet still comfy enough for daily driving. MSRC would have been nice for the versatility to tone down the firmness and I would likely add it as an option if I had to do this all over again but I'm not regretfully complaining... even a Z51 alone is still a good choice IMO. My Boss 302 rides just as firm or even firmer on its highest adjustable damper setting and that car can easily be a DD if need to.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Still can't wait to get my C7 regardless.

Been sitting at 1100 since Veteran's Day last year.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

You're going to LOVE it!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
H2OStingray

Drives: 2014 Red/Red Z51 3LT
I have my Z51 without magnetic control and drive on some of the worst highways and roads. I like the ride better then my 2013 tundra that I traded in.
H2OStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
Ordered my Stingray with Z51 and the mag ride after talking with a friend who is an engineer. He recommended the mag ride if I got the Z51 option so that's how I placed the order. A friend in my Corvette club has a Stingray with these options and loves it.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
My Z51 is w/o mag ride and I love it. I had a sports car with tour and sport suspension settings. The Vette is sooooo much better and I'm certain mag ride is icing on the cake!
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
jefftriman

Drives: 2014 CGM Z51, 64 Lemans, 65 GTO
Owning a 14 Stingray is a BIG deal for me and not taken lightly. I bought a 61 Vette in 1980 (I was 19) and it was the time of my life. Now the kids are out of the house, their college is paid for and they are self reliant. I had a good year last year and my wife told me to order the car of my dreams so I had to buy a Z51 w/MSRC because it was fitting. I absolutely love this car in every way. She arrived 1-02-14 and now has 400 miles on the odometer. I live near the mountains south of Denver so I have driving limitations this time of year. For those of you who have received their car, congrats! and my hat's off to you. For those still waiting for the call to pick her up - be patient she will be worth every minute of the wait.
jefftriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
TRC7

Drives: 2008 Vette
2LT Z51 with Mag ride.
1800 miles and this car is a dream. My C5 and C6 were base suspension and I was concerned that the Z51 would be a lot harder ride for touring. Not so with MRC. Yes I think it is stiffer, but in touring mode the ride is very comfortable. I like Sport the best when I am driving alone, the handling and the exhausts (NPP) just make me smile.
You are going to love this ride. ENJOY!
TRC7
TRC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
whosurdaddy107

Drives: My new Stingray Z51
I have a Z51 without mag ride. It's a little stiff at times but really stable. The ZL1 is a much heavier car so it should be a little smoother overall.
whosurdaddy107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #13
1KUIKC7

Drives: 2015 Zo6 3zl
I have a Z51 with Mag ride, love it, Lets me adjust for what I need and rides smother than my C6 Z51. Very happy!!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I have had the chance to drive all 3 types before acquiring my C7. The base is perfectly fine, and the Z51-only is also fine... both are fine for urban and rural daily driving. Neither rides like a gravel truck, so that IMHO is a misnomer. The Z51 w/ MSRC obviously has the most versatile suspension settings (softest to firmest) and I had the chance to test this setup at Palm Beach Raceway through slaloms, high speed, and swift acceleration, decelration, and braking. My personal conclusion is in the end all 3 types handle like bonafide sports cars. Z51 or not, MSRC or not... they grip the road and are very well-balanced. Firm to firmer to firmest and all 3 suspension types are comfortable too. My 2 cents...
Very insightful post. I am going to be called to order soon hopefully and this was the last question I had I was leaning towards no MRC fearing expensive repairs and maintenance of it. Z51 1LT 7 Speed man. Crystal Red Blk wheels performance exhaust. This should do me just fine.

Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote