The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #5937
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Detroit-Hamtramck could be saved if GM decides to make a CUV based off Voltec( why they haven't done so is a mystery). Unless they decide to make it in a plant that produces the platform a Voltec CUV is based off of.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #5938

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...v/1126-gm.html

GM Oshawa, Detroit-Hamtramck, and Lordstown all "unallocated" for future product.

So unallocated for 2019 means what? The production of 2019 models get cut short? 2019 models will be made all year?....Future years of the same model will get made after 2019, just no "new" allocations?....

They mention for assembly plant allocations there will be no new allocations for 2019....When do we hear definitely when and what models and years will be no longer produced exactly?

It seems we routinely hear of this or that model will end, be done...yet mysteriously everything just seems to keep rolling along and never really stops...

I'm hoping this is a lot of bluster that gets stretched out, revised, forgotten, or never really comes to pass....Classic business-speak....job cuts and lower production and offerings is the way to make money....Why ever grow?....I don't get it...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #5939
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Detroit-Hamtramck could be saved if GM decides to make a CUV based off Voltec( why they haven't done so is a mystery). Unless they decide to make it in a plant that produces the platform a Voltec CUV is based off of.
I've often wondered the same. They should have a sub-family of vehicles on Voltec.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #5940
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So unallocated for 2019 means what? The production of 2019 models get cut short? 2019 models will be made all year?....Future years of the same model will get made after 2019, just no "new" allocations?....

They mention for assembly plant allocations there will be no new allocations for 2019....When do we hear definitely when and what models and years will be no longer produced exactly?

It seems we routinely hear of this or that model will end, be done...yet mysteriously everything just seems to keep rolling along and never really stops...

I'm hoping this is a lot of bluster that gets stretched out, revised, forgotten, or never really comes to pass....Classic business-speak....job cuts and lower production and offerings is the way to make money....Why ever grow?....I don't get it...lol...

From what I can gather, Cruze production ends at Lordstown, more than likely all Cruze sedans and hatchbacks will come out of Mexico, all D-Ham and Oshawa products will be discontinued. There are two powertrain/component plants that will be affected as well.

But as of right now, "unallocated" just means these plants have no future product planned for them. That could change, but it's doubtful. I believe reports are already out that Oshawa and Lordstown are for sure on the chopping block.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #5941
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
That probably wouldn't be enough. That plant has about a half million unit annual capacity. Ditto with Oshawa & Lordstown. It'd be a stretch for any 1 product line (especially a niche product like a plug in hybrid crossover) to hit half that figure these days. Thats why most plants build 2 or 3 or 4 different products along side each other.

So what would you add to the Chevy 'Watt' plug-in crossover? A conventionally powered Chevy, akin to the Cruze vs Volt. They already have that in the Equinox. A Cadillac? XT4. And the GMC terrain rounds out the family. Buick could maybe replace the Envision with something produced domestically. But add that to the 'Watt' and you'd still be using only about 1 shift at the plant. How do you use the other half of its capacity? Because a plant just running a single shift is usually on life support. To be healthy (ie, profitable) you want to be running 2 full shifts.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #5942
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:

Well, how do you profitably boost sales in a market that has plateaued (and is ripe for a downturn)? If you have a good answer to that, I'm sure GM (or Ford or Honda or umpteen other companies not in the auto industry) would pay you handsomely for that information.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #5943

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well, how do you profitably boost sales in a market that has plateaued (and is ripe for a downturn)? If you have a good answer to that, I'm sure GM (or Ford or Honda or umpteen other companies not in the auto industry) would pay you handsomely for that information.
Much of this is happening because customer preference currently favors trucks and suvs…..Eliminating models makes certain there will be no profit whatsoever if and when customer preferences again change. Keeping low volume models in lower production numbers has got to be cheaper than starting from scratch. Marching to a glut of endless supply of the flavor of the month as your primary source of revenue could be a recipe for disaster. Plateaued sales are better than no sales at all once customer preferences change again. If they are so sure of what will only sell now and in the future by closing these plants, the stakes and potential loss is much greater than what they have happening now.....Here's my suggestion for an answer to your question and it's what they appear to be doing now...lol...

Name:  ask-magic-8-ball-fortune-teller-yes-no-question-prediction.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  25.4 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #5944
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Reminder:

Politics are on off-limits on the site. See rule #6

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #5945
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
If there is a CUV using the Voltec propulsion system it does not have to be built in the same facility that built Volt. It is a matter of fitting a propulsion system into a chassis. Every vehicle plant does that. The propulsion system is usually delivered in a power cube that is lifted up into the chassis. Would make more sense from a production volume POV to simply do that in a mainstream CUV plant.

Quote:

Unallocated means when you look at the approved product plan, none of the vehicles in the plan are scheduled to go into a particular plant following the end of the 2019 production run. If the plant has not product, you turn the lights out. Very rarely is a decision made to suddenly drop a new product into a plant. There have been rare occasions where a plant is idled for a complete year to get retooled for another product. That does not seem likely at this point. Why take a PR shotgun blast to the face only to say “Oh...forgot to mention....we’re just retooling the plant for a new product that starts next year”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That probably wouldn't be enough. That plant has about a half million unit annual capacity. Ditto with Oshawa & Lordstown. It'd be a stretch for any 1 product line (especially a niche product like a plug in hybrid crossover) to hit half that figure these days. Thats why most plants build 2 or 3 or 4 different products along side each other.

So what would you add to the Chevy 'Watt' plug-in crossover? A conventionally powered Chevy, akin to the Cruze vs Volt. They already have that in the Equinox. A Cadillac? XT4. And the GMC terrain rounds out the family. Buick could maybe replace the Envision with something produced domestically. But add that to the 'Watt' and you'd still be using only about 1 shift at the plant. How do you use the other half of its capacity? Because a plant just running a single shift is usually on life support. To be healthy (ie, profitable) you want to be running 2 full shifts.
But if the “Watt” is basically an electrified Equinox with a different tophat you could make that play.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #5946
FenwickHockey65

Lordstown and D-Ham production will stop March 1, 2019.

Oshawa production will continue until Q4 2019.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #5947
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Looks like Cruze, Volt, Impala, XTS and LaCrosse are all dead
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #5948
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Much of this is happening because customer preference currently favors trucks and suvs…..Eliminating models makes certain there will be no profit whatsoever if and when customer preferences again change. Keeping low volume models in lower production numbers has got to be cheaper than starting from scratch. Marching to a glut of endless supply of the flavor of the month as your primary source of revenue could be a recipe for disaster. Plateaued sales are better than no sales at all once customer preferences change again. If they are so sure of what will only sell now and in the future by closing these plants, the stakes and potential loss is much greater than what they have happening now.....Here's my suggestion for an answer to your question and it's what they appear to be doing now...lol...

Attachment 965734
I agree. At least it seems for now that GM is keeping the Malibu at least and not going full no cars like ford
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #5949
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

But if the “Watt” is basically an electrified Equinox with a different tophat you could make that play.
Best place to build that is probably the CAMI plant in Ingersol.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #5950
FenwickHockey65

I expected Impala/XTS/LaCrosse.

Didn't think GM would can Cruze/Volt.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions