The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
'06-07 Monte Carlo SS V8

Is it a fun car? What's the Torque steer situation? How roomy are the rear seats,can adults ride back there,is there much more room than my Mustang?
Does anyone know how many of these V8's they made?
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs up

I cannot tell you how the torque steer is as I do not have a SS I have a LS, and the inside of the car is VERY roomy, remember this is basically a 2 door body on the Impala floor pan. I have ridden in the back of mine before I owned it and I am 6'2" and have had no problems getting in and out and was quite comfortable back there, I even had a flip down armrest in the middle of the back seat .
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
Is it a fun car? What's the Torque steer situation? How roomy are the rear seats,can adults ride back there,is there much more room than my Mustang?
Does anyone know how many of these V8's they made?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...a_ss-road_test

However, they didn't repeal any laws of front-drive physics. The SS has so much power going to its front tires that when the traction control is engaged, the tires hunt for grip and the steering wheel tugs sharply to the left or right. The culprit is the traction control. As it engages each front brake to combat slip, torque is sent back and forth between the tires. We
thought it was torque steer until Mark Clawson, the Impala's marketing manager, pointed out that if you switch off the traction control, the car will spin the front tires with nary a twitch from the leather-wrapped wheel. However, this only occurs on billiard-table-smooth roads with the car pointed straight ahead; the slightest imperfection or steering input sets the tires on different missions, and the car gives the feeling that it's waging war with itself.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
I had a Grand Prix GXP and can tell you that you need to be careful with the torque steer. It is not bad on smooth surfaces because the pull on the steering wheel is consistent. On rougher surfaces the torque steer can pull the wheel back and forth very quickly.

They did not make many V8 SS's but if you are willing to accept a 4-door then you could look for an Impala SS or Grand Prix GXP. I can attest that the Grand Prix values have fallen like a rock.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
I had a Grand Prix GXP and can tell you that you need to be careful with the torque steer. It is not bad on smooth surfaces because the pull on the steering wheel is consistent. On rougher surfaces the torque steer can pull the wheel back and forth very quickly.

They did not make many V8 SS's but if you are willing to accept a 4-door then you could look for an Impala SS or Grand Prix GXP. I can attest that the Grand Prix values have fallen like a rock.
Couldn't you get the GXP as a coupe too? Or was that just for the older ones?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Couldn't you get the GXP as a coupe too? Or was that just for the older ones?
They stopped making a coupe when the 04 models were introduced, apparently because of low sales (actually if I not mistaken, 02 was actually the last year coupes were poduced). Anywho may want to consider the GTP it had a few handling goodies and brake upgrades the SSes lacked. Also, what about the Lacrosse Super? Just something about it I really like
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote