The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
very confusing to me..........
Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It was a 2 part tournament. First was the 3 group round robin to determine rankings, then the 4 round elimination tournament to determine medals. In the round robin, each team played 3 others, this included the Canada-US game. After that, the top 4 teams (Russia, USA, Sweden, and Finland) received a first round bye and the other 8 teams paired off and faced each other. Canada faced Germany and eliminated them. The winner of each of those 4 games then played one of the top 4 teams. USA eliminated Switzerland (who beat Belarus in the first round) and Canada eliminated

The winners of those 4 games pair off to determine who will play in the gold medal game and who will play for bronze. Canada and the US are among the 4 remaining teams. In order to play each other again, both teams have to either win their next game or lose their next game.

I'll lay it out another way. Winners from each round are highlighted and play against the winner next to them in the next round.

Round 1
| Swiss vs Belarus | USA vs bye | Fin vs Bye | Czech vs Lat | Can vs Ger | Rus vs bye | Slov vs Nor | Swe vs bye |

Round 2
| Switzerland vs USA | Finland vs Czech Republic | Canada vs Russia |Slovakia vs Sweden |

Round 3
| USA vs Finland | Canada vs Slovakia|

Round 4 (Medal Round)
Gold: Winners of Round 3
Bronze: Losers of Round 3
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 02-25-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: cleaned up the braket
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Canada looses to USA in their own sport.

Classic.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Canada looses to USA in their own sport.

Classic.
Wrong thread
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It was a 2 part tournament. First was the 3 group round robin to determine rankings, then the 4 round elimination tournament to determine medals. In the round robin, each team played 3 others, this included the Canada-US game. After that, the top 4 teams (Russia, USA, Sweden, and Finland) received a first round bye and the other 8 teams paired off and faced each other. Canada faced Germany and eliminated them. The winner of each of those 4 games then played one of the top 4 teams. USA eliminated Switzerland (who beat Belarus in the first round) and Canada eliminated

The winners of those 4 games pair off to determine who will play in the gold medal game and who will play for bronze. Canada and the US are among the 4 remaining teams. In order to play each other again, both teams have to either win their next game or lose their next game.

I'll lay it out another way. Winners from each round are highlighted and play against the winner next to them in the next round.

Round 1
| Swiss vs Belarus | USA vs bye | Fin vs Bye | Czech vs Lat | Can vs Ger | Rus vs bye | Slov vs Nor | Swe vs bye |

Round 2
| Switzerland vs USA | Finland vs Czech Republic | Canada vs Russia |Slovakia vs Sweden |

Round 3
| USA vs Finland | Canada vs Slovakia|

Round 4 (Medal Round)
Gold: Winners of Round 3
Bronze: Losers of Round 3
Thanks for clearing that up I thought I had missed something when I saw bluch's post. So if all goes well we should see a rematch.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Vladi
Russian maFFia

Drives: 09-SLK350
Location: Walnut Creek.CA, Turku Finland , St-Petersburg Russia
Sweden lost to Slovakia??? why i didn`t see it.. i don`t understand tournament princip
Russia beat Czech republik before match with Canada , but Czech republick wsa still in..... it`s like winners and loosers net?
Vladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi View Post
Sweden lost to Slovakia??? why i didn`t see it.. i don`t understand tournament princip
Russia beat Czech republik before match with Canada , but Czech republick wsa still in..... it`s like winners and loosers net?
Sweden vs Slovakia was played at 21:00 pacific time last night, the score was 4-3.

The top 12 teams were invited to the Olympics. They were divided into 3 pools of 4 for round robin play. Each team played ever other team in their pool, resulting in 3 games each. Durring round robin, 3 points were awarded for a win in regulation time, 2 for an overtime/shootout win, 1 for an overtime/shootout loss, and 0 for a regulation loss.

From the round robin, the top team from each pool, plus the next best team got a first round bye in the playoff. It also determined who played who in the playoffs. The reasoning behind this is to try and avoid having a potential gold medal game in the 2nd round (whoopsie, lol).

They could have simplified things by inviting only 8 or 16 teams, or eliminated the bottom 4 teams after the round robin.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #22
Vladi
Russian maFFia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Sweden vs Slovakia was played at 21:00 pacific time last night, the score was 4-3.

The top 12 teams were invited to the Olympics. They were divided into 3 pools of 4 for round robin play. Each team played ever other team in their pool, resulting in 3 games each. Durring round robin, 3 points were awarded for a win in regulation time, 2 for an overtime/shootout win, 1 for an overtime/shootout loss, and 0 for a regulation loss.

From the round robin, the top team from each pool, plus the next best team got a first round bye in the playoff. It also determined who played who in the playoffs. The reasoning behind this is to try and avoid having a potential gold medal game in the 2nd round (whoopsie, lol).

They could have simplified things by inviting only 8 or 16 teams, or eliminated the bottom 4 teams after the round robin.
Thanks for explanation
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
usairman8806

Drives: Victory Red 1LT/RS
:flag2:Should be a great game USA vs CANADA!! and tonight as well women's hockey US vs CANADA for gold :flag2:
usairman8806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
Vladi
Russian maFFia

I`m watching Usa - Canada (W) now , i never thought that woman can be so rough, i think they can kick @ss to many guys if they`ll be mad(first time watch woman hockey)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Is NBC going to time delay the Sunday game too.?

Does not seem fair that we on the West Coast will know Canada WON before the east gets to watch.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
HEH HEH HEH
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi View Post
I`m watching Usa - Canada (W) now , i never thought that woman can be so rough (first time watch woman hockey)
I just hope that the rest of the world improve their game in womens hockey, for the most part everybody else just competes for 3rd. But even then, the best aren't that good. The top teams are roughly comparable to good 16-17 year old Canadian boys teams. In fact, thats who the Canadian women trained against before the olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Is NBC going to time delay the Sunday game too.?

Does not seem fair that we on the West Coast will know Canada WON before the east gets to watch.
Why are you watching on NBC?

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #28
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Thanks for clearing that up I thought I had missed something when I saw bluch's post. So if all goes well we should see a rematch.
+1

thanks for taking the time to explain it to us....as my Dad would say, "You learn something new every day"....