Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
timshifty

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
High Flow Cats Causing Check Engine Light

I keep getting a check engine light. I have disconnected the battery a few times and it goes away for a little bit and comes back. I thought the JBA high flow converters are not supposed to through codes?
Is this going to affect how the car runs until I can get them tuned out?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I ran with a CEL on for over a year after I installed my JBA's. I even installed BigDaddies.com extenders, but to no avail. Last weekend, I put my BBK headers on and the light went off. The CEL was a lean code (probably because of the extenders). Now, with my increased flow from the headers, perhaps the ECU is getting the right amount of flow and that is why I'm not getting the CEL anymore. FYI: My car ran fine with the CEL on. There was never any problem.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Tim_Hamilton

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, '14 Silverado
My CEL came on right around 50 miles after I installed JBA's, I put big daddies on and never got CEL again. PM me your address and Ill ship 2 to you for free if you want them. Great condition, like new, 2000ish miles on them. I went long tubes and cam now.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
same here... used the big daddies extension when doing my ARH long tubes and high flow cats... never had a CEL. Ran them for about a year until I did cam tune etc...
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by timshifty View Post
I keep getting a check engine light. I have disconnected the battery a few times and it goes away for a little bit and comes back. I thought the JBA high flow converters are not supposed to through codes?
Is this going to affect how the car runs until I can get them tuned out?

Hello timshifty,

We are sorry to hear your Camaro is experiencing a check engine light concern. We understand how upsetting this repeat illumination can be and would like to assist in the best way possible. If you’d like to visit your GM dealership to have your vehicle looked at, please feel free to shoot us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and dealership name.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #6
G28

Drives: Camaro
Which extensions did you guys use?
G28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
I installed SOLO's over the weekend with Big Daddy angled extenders and I've driven it probably 50-100 miles and I haven't gotten a light.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
I installed SOLO's over the weekend with Big Daddy angled extenders and I've driven it probably 50-100 miles and I haven't gotten a light.
Performance wise, what do you think?
Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I guess I'll be finding out soon enough. I recently got me a set of JBA HFC and I will be doing a before and after Dyno test, just for kicks. I also will be doing the same thing with the ARH shorties I will be getting soon.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello timshifty,

We are sorry to hear your Camaro is experiencing a check engine light concern. We understand how upsetting this repeat illumination can be and would like to assist in the best way possible. If you’d like to visit your GM dealership to have your vehicle looked at, please feel free to shoot us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and dealership name.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Are you high? They replaced the factory exhaust with headers and high flow aftermarket cats, what is the dealer going to do? Unless they have HP tuners at GM dealers now; my guess is not much.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
The stock cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust. High flow cats are the biggest bang for your buck. Buy 'em...enjoy 'em!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Are you high? They replaced the factory exhaust with headers and high flow aftermarket cats, what is the dealer going to do? Unless they have HP tuners at GM dealers now; my guess is not much.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
Quote:
Noticeable increase in power, but it's not jaw dropping by any stretch.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
All these responses...but nobody asking what he code is. That is the key...what code are you throwing?
I ran ARH Shorty headers with Solo HF Cats for a year and never had a code. I now have Pfadt Tri-Y with HF cats and occasionally get a P0151 code. This is the front O2 sensor taking more than 2 mins to get to temp. This can happen with LT due to the added 6 inches the sensor is from the engine. The rear sensors are tuned out, so no codes there. Your likely getting a code from the rear O2 sensors and to fix that I HIGHLY suggest Big Daddy O2 extenders...angled are even better. You will not throw a code again.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote