Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #29
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Sunroof? Meh, I just decided to take the whole darn thing off and went with the vert.

Best decision I've made in years.
Beardface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #30
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
No offense, but did miss-state or are you on crack. It will not create downforce like a spoiler, it will create a huge drag aka like a parachute. When closed you will be normal, but open not so good. Try this go 100 mph open your sunroof, does the cars RPM increase trying to maintain 100 mph. If not all is good, but there is no way in HELL that it creates downforce like a splitter or a wicker spoiler.

Also, sir crack baby, I never said it'd produced downforce like a spoiler, splitter or a wicker would... but I guarantee you that it does create some.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #31
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
That is something I have noticed about some car guys... they will spend hundreds and brag about shaving 8lbs with lightweight wheels, or CF body panels. Then you notice the huge beer gut.
Took out the floor mats and then realized they stepped in gum
Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #32
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am a 300 pound guy......my lack of sunroof is the great equalizer! Happy Easter everyone and have a great weekend!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #33
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

So this kinda turned into a weight topic, well I have to get my butt dyno checked or drive further. Had this in my trunk and had 40 lbs of cat litter on the passenger floorboard. Could not say I really noticed a difference driving around town.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
So this kinda turned into a weight topic, well I have to get my butt dyno checked or drive further. Had this in my trunk and had 40 lbs of cat litter on the passenger floorboard. Could not say I really noticed a difference driving around town.
You know I was being sarcastic right?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #35
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
You know I was being sarcastic right?
Yes, I have seen you on here for a while. I was typing that and didn't see your posts.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #36
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
So if its not the Sunroof could it be the 14 / 15 RS tail lights?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #37
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Also, sir crack baby, I never said it'd produced downforce like a spoiler, splitter or a wicker would... but I guarantee you that it does create some.
Yes you did and how does it create some.. If it is closed then its doing nothing. If it is open you have an unequal pressure in the cabin to the outside creating turbulence above the vehicle messing up any aero aft of the sunroof. aka parachute.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Spec[/B];8335209]I don't think it affects performance. Maybe when open it adds a bit of downforce... but performance inhibiting. I don't think so.

If anything, doesn't it make the car a bit lighter? Good question, not entirely sure...

Its right there in black n white , I think you meant "Drag"
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #38
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Now were finally getting somewhere, my non RS tail light weigh less, that's why they use them on the Z28!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #39
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Now were finally getting somewhere, my non RS tail light weigh less, that's why they use them on the Z28!
They don't need that big piece of aluminum to cool down the big resistors.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Yes you did and how does it create some.. If it is closed then its doing nothing. If it is open you have an unequal pressure in the cabin to the outside creating turbulence above the vehicle messing up any aero aft of the sunroof. aka parachute.

Its right there in black n white , I think you meant "Drag"
Perhaps you misunderstand what I mean by open. Just a crack up is open, not open all the way where it would create 'unequal pressure' - yes, it will create 'Drag', but also a bit of 'Downforce', even if in the single digits. And again, I never said it would create the same amount of downforce a spoiler, splitter, or wicker would create. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Yes - it will create downforce like a spoiler would, but not the same amount of downforce. Does that make more sense? Its what I meant initially. Here's mine open below (sorry, car is a mess after a week without a wash, lol). Wind rushes over the top, bringing some down force.
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #41
gajagfan

I knew this would become a thread about tail lights.......they all do! I heard if you have RS tail lights and a sunroof, the only way to stop a car from flipping is to add a catch can.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #42
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I have a sunroof in my "track rated" 1LE. Didn't care if it came with one or not but I'm glad it did. As others have posted, it's a must if where you live encourages it(Tucson would be one of those places), and I spend 99% of my time driving spirited in TRAFFIC, not on the track, and it decreases the buffeting sound/feel with the Windows down. I would like to track my car one day, but I doubt my less than impressive track times will be blamed on a "heavy, high CG-causing" sunroof!
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote