Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
miguelortiz-usmc

Drives: 2013 v6 camaro ls
camaro sunroof affect performance?

i was just wondering if a sunroof affects performance or aerodynamics and if so what is the difference???
miguelortiz-usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I don't think it affects performance. Maybe when open it adds a bit of downforce... but performance inhibiting. I don't think so.

If anything, doesn't it make the car a bit lighter? Good question, not entirely sure...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Track guys are going to comment about the 40 additional pounds located in the worst possible place....the roof (highest point on the car), and they have a good point. having never driven the two back to back, I can not comment. Our car does not have a sun roof because of my height, but considering the handling issue, I am glad it does not.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I bought my car with a sunroof as a DD, not for dedicated track use. If you plan on being a serious tracker, then you will want shed as much weight as possible, trying to pick up your time, no sunroof is the way to go. So yeah, in that case it will affect performance. On the aerodynamics, I doubt it would create enough of a difference, to even notice. But, if you have the back part of the roof tilted up, could you get some extra down force at higher speed Splitting hairs on that one.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I am sure it does due to weight and structural integrity. However, I always drive with the sunroof open. A must have in California.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I don't think it affects performance. Maybe when open it adds a bit of downforce... but performance inhibiting. I don't think so.

If anything, doesn't it make the car a bit lighter? Good question, not entirely sure...
Not lighter, heavier, for one glass ,weighs more than metal, then you add the framework for the tracks and motor to make it work, then the sunshade, not sure if there is additional bracing but I imagine that is handled in the sunroof framework.
It all adds up and it's not located well for handling either. Raises the center of gravity.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
The only person this should matter too is the guy that pretty much lives at the track and spends a lot of money on his car to be lighter, and faster..

To the novice guys, which most of the guys on this forum are, it's not going to be a deal breaker for them with or without a sunroof.. Most here don't track their car anyways..

For the guys that throw on a few performance bolt-ons it will not make that much of a difference if any at all..

Sometimes I think the common car guy over thinks things, the wanna-be race car drivers.. That's not a knock on any one here as I have done the same, but lets get into reality, almost everyone here will not be a proffessional track driver, as most will not track their car, if so very little..

Hey this is what keeps the aftermarket alive and well...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Mine has a sunroof (must have in Texas too) which is what steered me away from a new 5.0 mustang (no sunroof option). I had mine to 160 before and it did get a little wind whistle through the sunroof (it was closed) but non the less did not affect performance, plus I don't do that dumb shi* all the time anyway.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Maybe we should post 1/4 mile times with and without a sunroof lol. For one I like mine because as someone who likes to drive with the windows down all the time I find with the sunroof open there is a lot less wind buffeting in the car than with it closed.

And its never going to matter performance wise for what i'll do with car.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
It makes wearing a helmet a bit more troublesome, my brother isn't that tall and he still rubs his helmet on the liner while autocrossing/tracking.

Also, it does add probably about 40lbs of weight in the worst possible location
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Performance be damned! I'm having a sunroof!!!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post

No offense, but did miss-state or are you on crack. It will not create downforce like a spoiler, it will create a huge drag aka like a parachute. When closed you will be normal, but open not so good. Try this go 100 mph open your sunroof, does the cars RPM increase trying to maintain 100 mph. If not all is good, but there is no way in HELL that it creates downforce like a splitter or a wicker spoiler.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Driving ability and not being a fat ass should make up for it
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
cmracing

Drives: 2014 RS/SS
It adds weight to the car, no doubt. It also takes away much needed headroom in may case, but that's life. If I had known I would have bought a convertible or a hardtop, too late for that. Does look nice though inside!
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote