Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Wayniez

Drives: 69 Camaro with LSA
First start up on LSA crate motor

Hi I'm installing an LSA/4l85 connect and cruise drive train in my 69 Camaro. I have mods going on and was wondering what I need to do to safely start the motor for the first time. I'm in SE Mass.

Here are the upgrades

cold air kit
1-7/8" ARH headers with a 3" Magnaflow exhaust. no cats needed
Ati balancer with ARP bolt, I have both 8.66 and 9.17 pulleys to choose from.
A ported LSA TB. Also a ported 90mm for later.
ID 850's
160 Thermostat.
My inter cooler consist of a C&R 69 Camaro HX with custom 1" lines and a Lingenfelter Stewart pump with the reprogram. I also have a 3.5 gal reservoir in the loop.
I just ordered TR71X plugs I'll use if needed.
I'm going to use dual catch cans, 2 Elite Engineering
I have an HP Pro but will have some dyno one tune it.

I know the ID 850 tables need to go in, What else besides priming the oil Tune wise will I need to have a safe start up? I'm totally green to this stuff, my first LS and first time with boost.

Thanks in advance any help appreciated.
Wayne
69 SS/RS Camaro complete frame off new sheet metal. DSE mini tubs, frame connectors, tubular control arms. Ride Tech 4 link with coil overs and Chassis Works Fab 9. C6 Z51 Corvette brakes. GM crate LSA/4l85 crate drivetrain.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=17217

Last edited by Wayniez; 03-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Wayniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Sounds like a nice set up. The basic new engine start up guidelines still apply. You mentioned two key points that are critical to start up on a EFI motor. What cam are you running?

- You need the correct tune with the ID 850 data before it's started. Otherwise you risk washing the cylinder walls with too much fuel which would be disastrous.
- I assume you're using a LS7 card style MAF sensor, if so the placement in the intake tract is important.
-You can prime the pump by cranking the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed to build initial pressure.
- The LSA has a lot of sensors, so make sure they're all connected correctly.
- Make sure you have a strong charging system that holds steady voltage,
- And for God's sake, please make sure you have properly secured all grounds to bare metal. If not, the gremlins will drive you nuts.

p.s. Go ahead and put the TR7IX plugs in now. You will have a lot more boost than stock.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Wayniez

Drives: 69 Camaro with LSA
Yes, LS7 style card MAF sensor. It is a complete kit from GM Performance. It has the stock cam, the only change where I opened the motor was for the oil pan and pick up. It's an E67 ECM. I know even the headers, exhaust and CAI it would need a tune so I figured to put the injectors, pulley and TB since it will need a tune anyway. Can a tuner put the upgrades I need to the ECU out of the car or does it need to be installed already?
69 SS/RS Camaro complete frame off new sheet metal. DSE mini tubs, frame connectors, tubular control arms. Ride Tech 4 link with coil overs and Chassis Works Fab 9. C6 Z51 Corvette brakes. GM crate LSA/4l85 crate drivetrain.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=17217
Wayniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Make sure you prime the oil using a pre-oiler tank, and turn the engine slowly a few revolutions while the prime pressure is on. Give it the same psi an oil pump would, while hand turning the engine slow.

Then break it in easy. LS engines have crazy tight tolerances. Putting a big load to them too quick is a good way to tear it up. If it was a crate engine, should have come with good break in istructions. And maybe some really good break in oil with tons of anti wear zddp stuff would be a good idea. Driven makes some break in oil.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
There are a lot of good sources over at LS1Tech.com. Several guys have done your swap already and may have some tips for you. Go in the conversions and hybrids section.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote