The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Kakashi

Drives: Camaro SS 2010 M6
Automatic Shifting

This might be an odd question...

But... Is it possible to (Corvette 2014 Z51 A6):

1. Place the automatic transmission in manual mode
2. Shift down to the desired gear (and say, be around ~4500rpm)
3. Step on the throttle
4. And quickly change the shifter back to D

I know the sequence is possible, but I am wondering if the car will continue the shifts on it's own for perfect shifts; or will there be a delay in the manual to automatic shift change when moving the shifter (enough to hit the redline)?
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
You can hit the paddle shifter while in D and it will down or up shift momentarily putting you in M and then it will default itself back to D if you don't keep changing gears. Did I answer/read your question correctly?
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Kakashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm888 View Post
You can hit the paddle shifter while in D and it will down or up shift momentarily putting you in M and then it will default itself back to D if you don't keep changing gears. Did I answer/read your question correctly?
I would think so, yes.

I was looking for a way to choose the starting gear and then letting the car continue the upshifts for races that start from a roll. All in efforts to avoid wasting time on the downshift. The drag strip is offering occasional events for street cars on races that start at 30mph at the tree.

Your way looks less complicated if, just using the paddle to downshift (while the shifter is in D) and stepping on it is all that is needed to the computer to take over on the upshifts.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
I've only done it with normal driving. Definetly would want to try it on an open road before your run see if it works to your liking.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
1FASTC7

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray
Leave the car in drive. Blip the gas peddle and it will down shift the car and have it ready to run on the roll. Hope this helps.
1FASTC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Kakashi

Well tried leaving it on D --> downshifting to 1st gear with the paddles --> and stepping on the throttle. This resulted in nailing the redline and staying there without an automatic upshift. So that method is a no go :(

But I did notice what you said, that if you leave it for a while without doing anything it will change back to D mode.

Blipping the throttle might not be possible as I have to match the other car's speed, and that might jump me ahead / void the race.

I'll have to check on my next spare time if quickly shifting from M to D allows the car to continue the automatic upshift if it is done during a WOT.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
Does anyone know if you can switch the car from D to M (and Vice versa) while the car is in motion?

I'm to chicken to try it on my car.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
buckeye4

Drives: Cyber Gray Metallic 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Does anyone know if you can switch the car from D to M (and Vice versa) while the car is in motion?

I'm to chicken to try it on my car.
You can, just do it!
buckeye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
1FASTC7

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Well tried leaving it on D --> downshifting to 1st gear with the paddles --> and stepping on the throttle. This resulted in nailing the redline and staying there without an automatic upshift. So that method is a no go :(

But I did notice what you said, that if you leave it for a while without doing anything it will change back to D mode.

Blipping the throttle might not be possible as I have to match the other car's speed, and that might jump me ahead / void the race.

I'll have to check on my next spare time if quickly shifting from M to D allows the car to continue the automatic upshift if it is done during a WOT.
Blipping the throttle just downshifts the car to a lower gear. Gets it ready to race. At that point all you have to do is punch it to the floor when your ready to run. Just blip it when the other car is pacing you.
1FASTC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
juandavr

Drives: BMW M235i
from my experience on the camaro (not the same car, but might have the same logic in it) you can change from D to M (M has 2 modes Manual and Sport Auto) and back while driving. also you can use the paddles in D and will hold the gear for about 5 secs. and I dont know about the vette but if you use the paddle shifters in M mode and want to return to sport auto mode (S) just hold the up paddle shifters for a few seconds and it will return to S mode
juandavr is offline   Reply With Quote