Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
#TeamChevy

Drives: Chevy Impala soon to be camaro
A LITTLE WORRIED

I am a little worried about my car. I just got it monday and I am also just learning how to drive a stick shift. I have picked up very quickly, I just want to make sure I'm not riding the clutch too much. I still stall every once and a while, is it okay for a manual transmission to make a LITTLE more noise than an automatic or maybe I'm just thinking too much, lol either way I need help!
#TeamChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
does it smell like it's burning up?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
#TeamChevy

no not at all
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
B-Rex

then you are probably being paranoid

clutch sticking any?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
#TeamChevy

yea thats what I think any little noise and I get nervous! lol
Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
B-Rex

Itll make a little bit different noises, i dont know about more

but if its running along fine and not smelling funny or acting strangely then i think you are in the clear
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
In the long run you will have to replace the cluth anyway. Instead of at 100k miles you might have to replace it at 80k mi. Either way don't worry about it, they're built to be tough. My rule is if you can't smell it and can't hear a grind then you're not hurting it.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
That's basically how I learned to drive a manual transmission. My dad had a pickup truck with a stick shift, I just got in and started driving. Sure I ground the gears a few times, and let the clutch burn a bit trying to keep it from rolling back at a stop sign on a hill, but I eventually got the hang of it. It wasn't a NEW truck, so my dad didn't mind.

If I were you, I'd find a friend with a older vehicle to learn on,

As far as it making a little more noise than the automatic, what do you mean? Noise from the muffler? I think manuals sound louder because you can whine them out more before shifting to the next gear.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
You're hearing the slack in the drive train. This is normal especially since you're new at driving manual transmission. You're going to be bouncing and jerking that drive train for a while.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
relax, keep your foot off the clutch after shifting, use N at stop lights, foot off the clutch......you'll get the hang of launching from a stop.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
All I can say is. practice makes perfect. find you an empty parking lot and practice stop and go's.
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

SGTMiller278CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
There is "noise" from a 6-speed (manual) that just isn't there in an auto. Sort of like marbles in a can, rattling sound, while first pulling away? That's "normal" (within reason ).

The new clutches are very "springy" IMO. Especially when brand new, they really POP back up at you as you're letting up on the pedal. When I went from my '02 Z28 to my '10 C6, I stalled the car a few times at first 'til I got used to the springy kick-back of the pedal, and I wasn't a "new" driver. Once I got used to the feel, then I was fine.

Since you're learning from the ground up, it may take you awhile longer, but you'll get it soon enough.

Again, a faint "marbles in a can" sound (and a light "knocking" of the motor while lugging it at low RPM's) are all "normal" sounds of getting moving with a manual. Obviously you want to learn to be quicker and smoother off the line so you're NOT lugging the motor that badly, but you're likely not doing anything different than anybody else who first learned to drive standard .
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
nitrorcr1787

Drives: 2012 2SS
My friend got is 2011 about two weeks before I picked up my 2012, this is not my first stick car. He warned me about the clutch and told me that no matter what you do, you will smell it for a while till it breaks in. So if you do smell it, don't panic. You will get the hang of it in no time. The one thing I do have to say is that yes the trans in these are noisey, they rattle, shake and there is a lot of bell housing sounds. Even the service dept. told me the same. As for stalling, it happens. You are gonna be on an upgrade, and some moron will be right on your back bumper as close as he can be, ease up on the clutch till you feel the grab, and give it some gas, try not to roll back. You will be fine.
nitrorcr1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
cflbuckeye

Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Ok...since we're talking manual/stick shift, are people still downshifting (i.e. engine breaking) these days or have brakes come along enough it's not necessary. I have been driving stick since my first car, and only had one automatic vehicle in my life (my truck I just traded in on my new camaro). It seems like alot of people aren't engine breaking these days? Is it because they're lazy or is it now "not" the thing to do?
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote