Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Marknbacon

Drives: 2015 camaro SS
Post cam starting issue?

I think it’s probably the battery or alternator starting to take a dump, but I at least wanted to poll you all and see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Full disclaimer: the tune isn’t done yet. I’m having it remote tuned with GPI and Ryan won’t be able to get me another file until early next week (understandable circumstances, they’ve been great to work with)

When I start the car, some times it struggles to turn over, but will start. Here’s what I’ve done to the car: GPI SS2 cam, morel 6504 lifters, BTR dual valve springs w/ steel retainers, new exhaust valves (long story with those... let’s just say this was a learning experience. Yes I lapped them and checked with Prussian Blue before I installed), BTR V2 trunnion kit, new cam sprocket, cam retainer plate and bolts, LS9 head gaskets, lifter trays, gaskets all around including intake, ARP head studs, new gates ac and serpentine belts, and everything was cleaned by yours truly and inspected by a mechanic friend of mine prior to reinstallation, then torqued to the recommended specs, and oil change immediately following before startup (planning on changing again after ~500 miles).

Here’s what I’ve tested:
battery voltage before startup: 12.2
Battery voltage immediately after start 14.5
Battery voltage after 5 seconds of rev @ 1300: 12.6
Voltage on gauge during driving: 12.5-12.6

Anyway, yeah has anyone else experienced this following an extensive cam swap? I know the dual springs take a bit more oomph to compress, but it doesn’t do this every time I start it. Like I said I suspect the battery or alternator.

Thanks I’m advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marknbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:35 AM   #2
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Starters are a common failure on the V8s. Slow cranking.

You can have the battery TESTED for Amps. You can have 12.2 volts, but no
cranking amps. My son had his battery tested, it had 12.2V, but only 16AMPS....
New battery, all fixed...
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #3
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Your car is not fully tuned yet, or not 100%.. that’s why it’s having a hard time. Just address your concerns with the tuner, and I’m sure you’ll get it right. Also you have to consider it’s a bigger cam you have in the car. Wait til after the tune is 100% b4 you start swapping stuff.

I went down this rabbit hole when I got my SC done. Hot starts everytime after a drive. Swapped the starter for a high torque 1, ran new ground, tested battery etc. Finally got the car retuned by a different place, and EVERY issue went away including my hot start. My builder/tuner I went through had no business tuning the car.
730whp: 630Trq

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 04-03-2021 at 08:36 PM.
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #4
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
With a new cam they have to raise the idle in the tune to about 1,000 plus fix many other things. I would wait till the tube is done. And with these smart alternators the voltage changes throughout driving and what’s needed and sits around 12.5v mainly.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Your car is not fully tuned yet, or not 100%.. that’s why it’s having a hard time. Just address your concerns with the tuner, and I’m sure you’ll get it right. Also you have to consider it’s a bigger cam you have in the car. Wait til after the tune is 100% b4 you start swapping stuff.

I went downtown this rabbit hole when I got my SC done. Hot starts everytime after a drive. Swapped the starter for a high torque 1, ran new ground, tested battery etc. Finally got the car retuned by a different place, and EVERY issue went away including my hot start. My builder/tuner I went through had no business tuning the car.
These cars have known issues with hot starts no matter the tuner. Not to say the tune didn’t cause some or all of your issues but it is a known issue
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #6
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
These cars have known issues with hot starts no matter the tuner. Not to say the tune didn’t cause some or all of your issues but it is a known issue
It’s a handful for sure.

OP were you having issues before the cam? If no, then process of elimination. Gotta get that tune done 100%
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I agree with the others, wait for the tune and then address the starting issue if it's still there.

That said, with the work you did, you should at least double check your grounds. They aren't great to begin with and it's possible something is loose or not in full contact after removal and reinstallation. Not to mention a loose ground could affect the quality of the data you are sending your tuner.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Marknbacon

Drives: 2015 camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
I agree with the others, wait for the tune and then address the starting issue if it's still there.

That said, with the work you did, you should at least double check your grounds. They aren't great to begin with and it's possible something is loose or not in full contact after removal and reinstallation. Not to mention a loose ground could affect the quality of the data you are sending your tuner.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response all! Very helpful.

I’ll recheck the grounds today if I can and see if something is loose, definitely don’t want issue with the tune.

As far as before the swap every few months I wouldn’t hit the switch long enough for it to start (just tapped it into the start position) and it would turn over once but nothing like a dead battery attempt (I’ve had dead batteries before...)

Yeah as far as the tune goes it is definitely in the “in process” stage. I looked over the last good tune and the current tune and there are a lot of things changed/disabled, so that may be all it is. Fortunately I don’t have to daily it until the week after this coming one (paternity leave) so I’ve got some time before it could be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marknbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Common problem with hot engine, switched to power master 9509 and new starter harness all good ever since.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote