Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Guys, please be careful

Ever since I listed WTB id injectors, I have been absolutely over loaded with scams. Its been ridiculous on here. The latest one damn near got me. Dude in the FS forum had put up ID 1050s for $400. I responded to his post. Instantly got a pm demanding fast payment friends and family only which is a big no no. His ad then gets removed and then a person with a moderator label is in my pm stating that other dude was a scammer, even though he had 4100 and some posts. He claimed it was his injectors and the other dude was scamming. This guy had over 25k posts. Both were weird and pushy, broken sentences. Not sure if accounts are getting hacked, but just throwing this out to hopefully protect you guys. BE CAREFUL
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
I would’ve sent payment but “request 400$“ instead. Some people do t read and they click accept. Lol
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Ya I keep hearing about that and it’s insane. Scammers are all over all the car websites
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What was his user name?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
What was his user name?
Pmed
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
Old 04-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
gunchamp

Just br cautious guys. I know most of us a very careful amd watch for red flags. Im extremely cautious and i almost got taken
Old 04-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
There was an issue yesterday with a hacker on the website who had compromised a moderators account. He made a thread, posing as that moderator, asking to borrow $300. I commented in the thread that 'Well, looks like a mod account got hacked', and within 30 seconds my account got banned with the ban comment saying 'If you do not trust, goodbye!' - Yeah, sounds legit, right?

I freaking panicked, seeing as I have put so much time and thousands of posts into using this site and also meeting such really cool people, and instantly tried reaching out to Tran, the site admin. That was no easy feat to accomplish with a banned account, let me tell you. I made an alt account and finally got a message off to Tran and within 2 mins of me sending it, Tran had regained full control of the site and restored my account, and cleaned up everything. I don't think Tran's admin privileges were ever in jeopardy of being compromised itself, but that moderator's account was fully under someone else's control, and he could have made an awful mess of this website had Tran not been so quick to act.

Very thankful that Tran took such quick action, as this could have turned out very ugly...but he was on top of this immediately.

So if you guys ever have an issue, suspect foul play or fraud at hand, don't respond to the bad actor - just reach out to Tran immediately. Us C5 members are the first line of defense in keeping the scum off of Camaro 5, and we are much more secure if we work together. If you ever see anything that looks out of place or doesn't make sense, report it.

Also, this would be a great time for all of us to be proactive and tighten up your individual account security, starting with a strong password change.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 04-02-2021 at 12:08 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
There was an issue yesterday with a hacker on the website who had compromised a moderators account. He made a thread, posing as that moderator, asking to borrow $300. I commented in the thread that 'Well, looks like a mod account got hacked', and within 30 seconds my account got banned with the ban comment saying 'If you do not trust, goodbye!' - Yeah, sounds legit, right?

I freaking panicked, seeing as I have put so much time and thousands of posts into using this site and also meeting such really cool people, and instantly tried reaching out to Tran, the site admin. That was no easy feat to accomplish with a banned account, let me tell you. I made an alt account and finally got a message off to Tran and within 2 mins of me sending it, Tran had regained full control of the site and restored my account, and cleaned up everything. I don't think Tran's admin privileges were ever in jeopardy of being compromised itself, but that moderator's account was fully under someone else's control, and he could have made an awful mess of this website had Tran not been so quick to act.

Very thankful that Tran took such quick action, as this could have turned out very ugly...but he was on top of this immediately.

So if you guys ever have an issue, suspect foul play or fraud at hand, don't respond to the bad actor - just reach out to Tran immediately. Us C5 members are the first line of defense in keeping the scum off of Camaro 5. If you ever see anything that looks out of place or doesn't make sense, report it.

Also, this would be a great time for all of us to be proactive and tighten up your account security, starting with a strong password change.
+10! Great job alerting the powers that be sir!
Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
As soon as I see a WTB thread I know that person is about to get hit by scammers lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

So if you guys ever have an issue, suspect foul play or fraud at hand, don't respond to the bad actor - just reach out to Tran immediately. Us C5 members are the first line of defense in keeping the scum off of Camaro 5, and we are much more secure if we work together. If you ever see anything that looks out of place or doesn't make sense, report it.

Also, this would be a great time for all of us to be proactive and tighten up your individual account security, starting with a strong password change.
Awesome job my friend!!! Sorry you got taken for a bit, but glad all is back to normal for ya now!! Yea we all gotta be very careful as THEY are out in force, and everywhere doing all this crap. I even saw on the news last night that they have even hacked into some CPA accounts around the country and getting personal info there too!! Be overly cautious guys and gals!! And as mentioned, as a team we can all keep en eye out and report suspicious activity!! Cheers all!!!
Old 04-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Was the moderator dgthe3? Got a strange pm saying hello are you there yesterday from them
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Was the moderator dgthe3? Got a strange pm saying hello are you there yesterday from them
yes and pyr0b0y was the other account
Old 04-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
yes and pyr0b0y was the other account
Oh yeah, I remember seeing pyr0b0y selling a ton of stuff in the classified section, some of it really good. I saw that $400 injector thread and thought it was an amazing deal. But what struck me was each thread mentioned he only wanted Zelle and PayPal Friends and Family only. He listed other payment methods, but both of those I listed are not reversible and have no recourse if you are scammed.

All that said, I think pyro was a long time member here (had a decent post count), so maybe he just prefers shady payment methods but was otherwise legit, idk.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 04-02-2021 at 01:38 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Been in the IT business for over 30 years(that's right, some of you weren't even a thought in your pops n$%sack). Let me tell you, I knew that this would become a nightmare, even as a teenager. The problem is you'll always have crooks and with computers, if there's a way in(meaning ourselves using our own devices), there's always a way in for crooks. What always bugged me is that we were "forced" to bank, pay bills, and other transactions with our personal information just "out there". Hell, my grandfather used checks and cash until the he died. The best advice I can give you is, if you have a landline, use it instead of wifi. I know it's tough and I don't always take my own advice but it's a lot tougher on scammers and my second and favorite is: when you point your mouse at a link, MAKE SURE YOU CAN SEE THE LINK. If it ends with an out of country URL or seems strange looking, it probably is. Hope this helps and reporting is always good as we have to look out for each other