Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Noob meth question...

As I finalize the parts on my build, I’m contemplating on adding a meth kit to my setup. Just want another layer of safety since everything will be stock internals...

Just remember, it’ll be 100% street/weekend car, but I do make a fair amount of pulls when I do drive the car (I’m in my corporate car 5 days a week, which makes me drive the speed limit 100% of the time—SUCKS ASS).

I know the benefits of meth, but can’t get the grasp on the following....
1. How does the failsafe functions work?
2. Can I still go WOT without meth and the car would know that I’m running 93/e85?
3. Still the general consensus on kits..Alky= the best, and the rest is ok.
4. Can I still use windshield washer fluid?
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
The systems have warnings for low fluid or failed pump but if you aren't tuning it for performance and just a safety you shouldn't hurt anything if something fails. I know the tuner can do things to help i don't know how exactly but i know one way is the timing will be pulled over a certain IAT so if the meth isnt working IAT will be higher, less timing. A lot of guys run 100% meth. You can run 50/50, guys do run washer fluid, some just run water, which cleans and helps IAT but you don't get the octane booster effect. I'm no pro here by any means i'm also a noob with meth and have been researching recently, same as you. Everyone seems to like the alky from what i see. More pros will follow up i'm sure! I'll be following!
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
The systems have warnings for low fluid or failed pump but if you aren't tuning it for performance and just a safety you shouldn't hurt anything if something fails. I know the tuner can do things to help i don't know how exactly but i know one way is the timing will be pulled over a certain IAT so if the meth isnt working IAT will be higher, less timing. A lot of guys run 100% meth. You can run 50/50, guys do run washer fluid, some just run water, which cleans and helps IAT but you don't get the octane booster effect. I'm no pro here by any means i'm also a noob with meth and have been researching recently, same as you. Everyone seems to like the alky from what i see. More pros will follow up i'm sure! I'll be following!
Any feedback is good. Ty.

I think I read somewhere on here that regular windshield washer fluid is usually around 30% alcohol, and there’s Snow’s boost juice which is 49% alcohol/51% water. Majority of the peeps on here seems like they’re running Alky due to it not having different “stages” on power application, and the SS lines. Now for just some more clarification on question 2...
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Down side to the Alky-Control kit. You will be removing the pump every 18 months or so and sending it back to FL to have the seals rebuilt. I have 2 pumps just for this reason. One in the car and one on the shelf. Takes about 30 minutes to swap it without pulling the bumper cover.

As for Q2, I don't know. My car to tuned for meth at WOT. When the low fuel light comes on, I can't WOT without potential boom.
As for Q4, I don't know. Never driven in the rain. I pulled the fuse for the wipers.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Down side to the Alky-Control kit. You will be removing the pump every 18 months or so and sending it back to FL to have the seals rebuilt. I have 2 pumps just for this reason. One in the car and one on the shelf. Takes about 30 minutes to swap it without pulling the bumper cover.

As for Q2, I don't know. My car to tuned for meth at WOT. When the low fuel light comes on, I can't WOT without potential boom.
As for Q4, I don't know. Never driven in the rain. I pulled the fuse for the wipers.
The pump replacement/leaking seems like it’s a hit or miss, or from what I’ve read it’s usually from running 100% meth. Where did you mount your pump?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Greenhornet2

As for question 2 It depends (I think). If you don't tune for meth, then yes, your fuel sensor won't know if there is meth running or not if it is plumbed in your fuel feed line. If you tune for running meth, then it will still know which fuel you are running and be on that table but if you run out of meth, in either case it could be bad since both will be tuned for meth which acts like an octane booster. Whichever type of meth you plan to run, if you have it tuned running It I think you need to stay with that mixture also. I believe if you do not tune for meth you won't actually pick up any power though and might lose a little. I have read that guys will add it for safety and not tune for it so I guess it seems it can be done. I know slowhawk does meth injection on just about every build he does with boost he does.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 01-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post

You are running 100% meth correct? I believe this is why you need to rebuild often, I think it would be the same for any pump, it is very corrosive in liquid state. I was thinking of purging the system when it goes to sleep for the winter and running water through it until spring, might get a little more life out of it.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
1. How does the failsafe functions work? As long as you are not depending on the added octane from meth this is a non-factor. Alky has indicator light that indicates when the system is not pressurized. Which means you are out of meth or pump is not working.

2. Can I still go WOT without meth and the car would know that I’m running 93/e85? Again, as long as you are not dependent on the added octane from meth you can run the car as usual. I run e85 +100% meth and my tuner was able to tune the car to add a tad bit more timing if the desired IAT threshold is met.

3. Still the general consensus on kits..Alky= the best, and the rest is ok. I have had the Alky kit for around 8 years or so. I have had to rebuild my pump once, but luckily I had a back up pump which I bought used on here just for back up that I keep on the shelf.

4. Can I still use windshield washer fluid?
Depends on your setup. There are a few supercharge/turbo kits that offer a new reservoir for washer fluid because the charge pipe typically needs the space. I used to use the washer reservoir for meth, but decided to relocate the pump to the trunk as well as adding a 4 gallon tank in the trunk too. My TT kit required me to use a relocated washer fluid tank, but I opted to delete my washer fluid all together since I never used it anyway.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Yes, running 100% meth and I run it year round. Nice part about living in Vegas.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Yes, we do a ton of meth injected cars. You tune with it. For safety most have the iat reading it. If temp spikes, timing drops. Done right it will be fine but use a good kit and wire in correctly. Ive run it well into the 7's at the track on 93 octane.

It has its risks like everything. Fuel pumps can quite, voltage boosters die. Sensors misread and go lean.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote