Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Damn 22k.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #16
Axe55

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Yikes, $22k!

After I installed my whipple, I immediately wanted/needed to do suspension upgrades. Once you start throwing more power to the wheels, you really need the support to get the power to the ground. I got a lot more power with the whipple, but it wasn't good for much until I upgraded the suspension. Now, the car feels planted. I'd start with trailing arms, toe rods and at least cradle bushing inserts, that's what I did and it really made a difference, also, they're not that expensive.
2012 Camaro SS LS3, JRE Scoop, CAI intake, Whipple Supercharger, Fast 85lb injectors, ZL1 pump, McLeod RXT clutch, MGW shifter, Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers w/HFC, Ridetech coilovers, BMR sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, 2020 Speed Tuned.
Axe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #17
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
22K is a normal price for the mods mentioned. I don't have an auto, my path was supercharger first which got me to almost 600whp on 11psi. I would start there, you will want a tranny cooler as well. Then next year if you want more you can go with a cam, converter, ect. Just be realistic with your goals and build the fuel system once. You likely won't go over 700whp with the stock trans so ZL1 pump and JMS voltage booster would be enough. once you do the cam you are going to want to do the converter most likely, don't have to with just the SC.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #18
RupertPupkin

ESS is 6500-ish
Converter in 700-800$

What else am I missing. When I did my build, and pricing ESS, I was nowhere near 22k
Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wheeler View Post
Always wanted a 10.90 car. Since I was a kid.

Don’t need insane power. Just want fun on street and know that I can take just about any vehicle around. I know someone is always faster,and I don’t street much, but just want to know I can.
10.90 should be pretty easy with an auto. I went 10.9@125mph with a ecs novi1500, meth kit, Stock cam, some suspension, 17” drag radials with a manual transmission. Was making around 600rwhp at the time.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #20
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
ESS is 6500-ish
Converter in 700-800$

What else am I missing. When I did my build, and pricing ESS, I was nowhere near 22k
Cam, valvetrain, fuel system, oil pump, trans cooler, but most importantly the labor cost is what you are missing.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #21
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Cam, valvetrain, fuel system, oil pump, trans cooler, but most importantly the labor cost is what you are missing.
Oh. I thought he had a cam already. That’s 2k- 2500$ with labor/tune. That’s what I paid for at least when I did my cam.

Even for my whole build cam/headers/fuel/trans/labor/FI I’m at 16...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I have spoken at length with Jannetty, to the point that I was going to take the car to them and drop it off. Their quote was about $22k, supercharger, cam, convertor.
That was a bit much and off putting.
I kept trying to figure out what I really needed/wanted.
I have come to the conclusion that I can get the same amount of power from the supercharger @5-7psi as I can with a GPI 3VVT camshaft kit.
The s/c would be easier for me because I would not have to go into the engine.
If this proves not to be enough, then I am willing to go in the engine ( or have someone do it for me)
The estimates we provide are based on your goals and your budget that you provide at the time of the estimate.

If you find an estimate outside your budget you will have to lower your goals or your budget, then we can better estimate a job for you.

Please don't minimize what we quoted you on, to make it sound overly priced or off putting.

The estimate includes much more than a blower, a cam and converter.
It included, full L99 to LS3 conversion, with Oil pump and C5rchain, Supercharger system with Optional upgrades, exhaust, complete fuel system upgrades for 700 RWHP, tune up parts, trans service dipstick tube oil filter antifreeze, thermostat, HPtuner license, Labor and dyno tuning etc etc.

Many people call us with champagne taste on a beer budget.

I always ask what is your budget and goals, then we don't waste time writing a huge estimate that is outside of your budget.

Then I get well I don't have a budget the sky is the limit, so we throw the kitchen sink at it, and I find a post like this.

As I tell everyone I do estimates for, if you feel this is not for you please give us the opportunity to re quote you on a package that better fits your budget.

There are 3 things in building Cars, Fast, Cheap, Reliable. YOU CAN ONLY PICK 2.

Fast and cheap, Not reliable

Cheap and reliable, Not Fast.

Fast and Reliable, Not Cheap.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 07-15-2020 at 11:13 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #23
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The estimates we provide are based on your goals and your budget that you provide at the time of the estimate.

If you find an estimate outside your budget you will have to lower your goals or your budget, then we can better estimate a job for you.

Please don't minimize what we quoted you on, to make it sound overly priced or off putting.

The estimate includes much more than a blower, a cam and converter.
It included, full L99 to LS3 conversion, with Oil pump and C5rchain, Supercharger system with Optional upgrades, exhaust, complete fuel system upgrades for 700 RWHP, tune up parts, trans service dipstick tube oil filter antifreeze, thermostat, HPtuner license, Labor and dyno tuning etc etc.

Many people call us with champagne taste on a beer budget.

I always ask what is your budget and goals, then we don't waste time writing a huge estimate that is outside of your budget.

Then I get well I don't have a budget the sky is the limit, so we throw the kitchen sink at it, and I find a post like this.

As I tell everyone I do estimates for, if you feel this is not for you please give us the opportunity to re quote you on a package that better fits your budget.

There are 3 things in building Cars, Fast, Cheap, Reliable. YOU CAN ONLY PICK 2.

Fast and cheap, Not reliable

Cheap and reliable, Not Fast.

Fast and Reliable, Not Cheap.

Ted.
"Please don't minimize what we quoted you on, to make it sound overly priced or off putting."

I would in no way, or certainly did not intend to minimize what you quoted.
I was shocked at first, but then spoke to a few people and came to the realization that I just did not have the money for what I wanted.
One thing you need to know is that the last time I was building engines, was in the late 80's early 90's.
Back then engines were carbureted and a camshaft cost $99.
Today camshafts are $300 and there is a lot that goes into tuning these engines.
I had a budget, but it was not enough to get what I wanted, so I had to step back and take another look at what I wanted.
I am now trying to figure out the best route to take to get me to my original goal.
If this helps, thank you.
Ted, I am sorry if I came across wrong.
I was taking a lot of your(shops) time trying to whittle this down.
Once winter rolls around, I will be back at it and will certainly contact you.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #24
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Which blower are you getting? The G3X is a really nice piece, but its not made by Vortech.

ESS offers these head units in their kits: (in order of power capability, my opinion)
Vortech V3Si
ESS G3
Vortech YSi. (Requires oil feed/return)
ESS G3X
ESS G4X (coming soon)
Vortech YSi-b (Requires oil feed/return).
So if I did my little bit of research right, the G3X is made by ESS themselves.
All the more reason to go with this kit.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #25
RupertPupkin

Why not ECS?
Old 07-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
So if I did my little bit of research right, the G3X is made by ESS themselves.
All the more reason to go with this kit.
That is correct. I’ve be beating the shit out of my G3X for probably a year or more. I made about 940whp on my cammed, exhaust, e85 SBE ls3 setup.

Now I’m tuning the 427 with the G3X and its a beast. It might be a little small for this big effecient motor, but the G4X is coming soon.

Gotta love not having to tap the oil pan also.

There are a bunch of guys running thier camaro kits now, but not many on this forum. They make the G series for Mustangs and Corvettes as well.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
"Please don't minimize what we quoted you on, to make it sound overly priced or off putting."

I would in no way, or certainly did not intend to minimize what you quoted.
I was shocked at first, but then spoke to a few people and came to the realization that I just did not have the money for what I wanted.
One thing you need to know is that the last time I was building engines, was in the late 80's early 90's.
Back then engines were carbureted and a camshaft cost $99.
Today camshafts are $300 and there is a lot that goes into tuning these engines.
I had a budget, but it was not enough to get what I wanted, so I had to step back and take another look at what I wanted.
I am now trying to figure out the best route to take to get me to my original goal.
If this helps, thank you.
Ted, I am sorry if I came across wrong.
I was taking a lot of your(shops) time trying to whittle this down.
Once winter rolls around, I will be back at it and will certainly contact you.
Apology accepted.

I appreciate the opportunity to work with you on your project.

I am happy to put an estimate together that better fits your budget.

Always here to help.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
That is correct. I’ve be beating the shit out of my G3X for probably a year or more. I made about 940whp on my cammed, exhaust, e85 SBE ls3 setup.

Now I’m tuning the 427 with the G3X and its a beast. It might be a little small for this big effecient motor, but the G4X is coming soon.

Gotta love not having to tap the oil pan also.

There are a bunch of guys running thier camaro kits now, but not many on this forum. They make the G series for Mustangs and Corvettes as well.

Put it on the rollers yet??