The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
LTG-why is the water pipe/oil filter on the exhaust manifold side?

Hello everyone,

So in the past i've messed with hondas both n/a and aftermarket turbos. My experience was with B and H series but i did a bit of researching on the D series engines too. Also at one point i was thinking about getting a 240SX and swapping in a SR20DET but i didnt do it so most of what i know is just research. On those engines things like the water pipe, oil filter and i think alternator and starter were on the intake side. I think the Mustang Ecoboost is the same way too?

I was wondering though why is the LTG designed with the oil filter and water pipe under or near the turbo manifold? was this for ease of production? or a deliberate design decision? did the engine used to be n/a and later converted to turbo? What i'm also wondering is will this design end up getting in the way of people who want to run aftermarket cast manifolds with larger turbos or aftermarket log style turbo manifolds with larger turbos? should the proximity of those accessories (water pipe, oil filter, other stuff) to the turbine and downpipe be a cause for concern for people wanting to modify their cars? (ie clearance issues or heat related issues) or was aftermarket modding not really a consideration at all?

Also what other turbo cars/engines out there, preferably I-4 or I-6 have the same kind of engine layout as the LTG with accessories on the exhaust side? can be longitudinal or transverse, fwd/awd/rwd doesnt matter.