Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2024, 10:21 PM   #1
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Drives: Chevy Corvette
Camaro SS steering woes. Any insight is appreciated

I have a 2017 SS that I've owned for 2 years now. Since last spring when I got it out for the first time, the steering has been very stiff. It's fine at super low speeds but anything over 20 mph it gets stiff. This is in tour mode. I had it to the dealer twice for diagnostics. They couldn't find any codes. The first time they fixed a loose connector but that didn't do anything. Does anyone have experience with this? And if so, how did you fix it? Thanks.
Fiftycamaropgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:28 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
It isn't locked into Track Mode via the entertainment system settings, is it? In there you can manually set steering, exhaust (if you have NPP) and ride (if you have Mag Ride) so that it stays in that mode regardless of what mode the rest of the car is in...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:46 PM   #3
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
It isn't locked into Track Mode via the entertainment system settings, is it? In there you can manually set steering, exhaust (if you have NPP) and ride (if you have Mag Ride) so that it stays in that mode regardless of what mode the rest of the car is in...
No, I did check that and it has been locked in tour mode for steering setting.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:32 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Alas, I can't help solve the problem, but I do want to confirm that steering in tour mode should be MUCH lighter than track mode, the difference isn't subtle but very significant. Even if there are no codes, the service tech should troubleshoot further, this is not normal at all.

Out of curiosity, does your steering get even stiffer in track mode if you unlock it in settings (flipping it back to synced with the drive mode)? In other words, is there any response from the EPAS to setting changes but everything is super tight, or is it stuck in a very stiff setting and altogether ignores commands to change the steering feel?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:59 AM   #5
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftycamaropgh View Post
No, I did check that and it has been locked in tour mode for steering setting.
The only other thing I can think of that can cause something like this, bad belts, or bad power steering.

Not sure on specifics but I'm sure other people will chime in on specifics.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:26 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It’s a long shot, but there was a recall for power steering problems on the 2017 Camaro. You can check for active recalls on your car at the Chevrolet website.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547969
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #7
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Alas, I can't help solve the problem, but I do want to confirm that steering in tour mode should be MUCH lighter than track mode, the difference isn't subtle but very significant. Even if there are no codes, the service tech should troubleshoot further, this is not normal at all.

Out of curiosity, does your steering get even stiffer in track mode if you unlock it in settings (flipping it back to synced with the drive mode)? In other words, is there any response from the EPAS to setting changes but everything is super tight, or is it stuck in a very stiff setting and altogether ignores commands to change the steering feel?
There isn't much difference between them. For you, does track and tour feel similar when you're on the highway or is it still different?
Old 03-18-2024, 01:31 PM   #8
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
It’s a long shot, but there was a recall for power steering problems on the 2017 Camaro. You can check for active recalls on your car at the Chevrolet website.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547969
Yeah, unfortunately it was already remedied on my car.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:51 PM   #9
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
There isn't much difference between them. For you, does track and tour feel similar when you're on the highway or is it still different?
Track steering is significantly stiffer at speed, at low speed power steering kicks in regardless of mode.

Sport is looser than track even at speed

Touring is loose at all stages regardless of speed. it is also the loosest steering wheel out of all 3 modes.

If power steering was out, at low speed or stand still it would be EXTREMELY hard to turn the wheel. Even more so if you have wide front tires.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The steering assist is electric, basically a small motor unit bolted onto the steering rack. Here is description from repair manual. If your unit is locking up at higher speed, but fine at low speed, I think the steering module may not be working right. As mentioned above, the low speed situation is where the unit works hardest mechanically. Good low speed action means it is probably not binding. Sounds like it may be "over stiffening" at higher speed.

The belt driven electronic power steering system consists of the following components:
A belt drive and a ball nut mechanism
A power pack; containing the power steering control module, its sensors, the power steering motor
A torque sensor
The steering gear (rack and pinion)
The belt driven electric power steering system reduces the amount of effort needed to steer the vehicle
by utilizing the power steering control module to control the power steering motor to maneuver the
steering rack. The power steering control module uses input from the torque sensor, motor rotational
sensor, battery voltage circuit and GMLAN serial data circuit to determine the level of motor assist.
Vehicle speed and engine speed from the GMLAN serial data circuit is also used to adjust the amount of
steering assist needed to steer the vehicle. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning
during parking maneuvers. At higher speeds less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional
stability
The torque sensor is attached to the steering gear housing near the input shaft, and is critical to proper
operation of the electronic power steering system. As the steering wheel is turned and torque is applied
to the steering shaft, the torque sensor monitors the amount of input torque.
The power steering control module responds to the torque sensor and motor rotational sensor by
commanding current to the power steering motor.
The power steering control module and motor are attached to the base of the steering gear housing, and
applies power assist through the belt drive and ball nut mechanism to the steering rack. The ball nut
mechanism translates the rotational movement of the belt drive system to lateral movement of the
steering rack. The power steering control module has the ability to detect malfunctions within the electric
power steering system. Any malfunction detected that disables steering assist will cause the SERVICE
POWER STEERING message to be displayed on the driver information center. Additionally, the power
steering control module calculates an internal system temperature which is used to protect the power
steering system from damage caused by high temperature. When the calculated temperature exceeds a
pre-determined level the amount of current commanded to the power steering motor is reduced. This will
result in a temporary reduced level of assist. Full assist will return once the calculated temperature drops
below the pre-determined level.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:19 PM   #11
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The steering assist is electric, basically a small motor unit bolted onto the steering rack. Here is description from repair manual. If your unit is locking up at higher speed, but fine at low speed, I think the steering module may not be working right. As mentioned above, the low speed situation is where the unit works hardest mechanically. Good low speed action means it is probably not binding. Sounds like it may be "over stiffening" at higher speed.

The belt driven electronic power steering system consists of the following components:
A belt drive and a ball nut mechanism
A power pack; containing the power steering control module, its sensors, the power steering motor
A torque sensor
The steering gear (rack and pinion)
The belt driven electric power steering system reduces the amount of effort needed to steer the vehicle
by utilizing the power steering control module to control the power steering motor to maneuver the
steering rack. The power steering control module uses input from the torque sensor, motor rotational
sensor, battery voltage circuit and GMLAN serial data circuit to determine the level of motor assist.
Vehicle speed and engine speed from the GMLAN serial data circuit is also used to adjust the amount of
steering assist needed to steer the vehicle. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning
during parking maneuvers. At higher speeds less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional
stability
The torque sensor is attached to the steering gear housing near the input shaft, and is critical to proper
operation of the electronic power steering system. As the steering wheel is turned and torque is applied
to the steering shaft, the torque sensor monitors the amount of input torque.
The power steering control module responds to the torque sensor and motor rotational sensor by
commanding current to the power steering motor.
The power steering control module and motor are attached to the base of the steering gear housing, and
applies power assist through the belt drive and ball nut mechanism to the steering rack. The ball nut
mechanism translates the rotational movement of the belt drive system to lateral movement of the
steering rack. The power steering control module has the ability to detect malfunctions within the electric
power steering system. Any malfunction detected that disables steering assist will cause the SERVICE
POWER STEERING message to be displayed on the driver information center. Additionally, the power
steering control module calculates an internal system temperature which is used to protect the power
steering system from damage caused by high temperature. When the calculated temperature exceeds a
pre-determined level the amount of current commanded to the power steering motor is reduced. This will
result in a temporary reduced level of assist. Full assist will return once the calculated temperature drops
below the pre-determined level.
Really appreciate this. So you think the rack is fine, but the steering control module is out of whack? Have you had any software updates performed on your car?
Old 03-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #12
Fiftycamaropgh
Chevy racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Track steering is significantly stiffer at speed, at low speed power steering kicks in regardless of mode.

Sport is looser than track even at speed

Touring is loose at all stages regardless of speed. it is also the loosest steering wheel out of all 3 modes.

If power steering was out, at low speed or stand still it would be EXTREMELY hard to turn the wheel. Even more so if you have wide front tires.
Yeah I don't think power steering is failing. But something is definitely not right.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:55 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Really appreciate this. So you think the rack is fine, but the steering control module is out of whack? Have you had any software updates performed on your car?
I have a 2017 2SS which is part of the steering recall referenced above.
I have not had the recall done because the steering has been fine. The failure mode will be increased turning effort at lower speed. No sign of that. I am happier to not have the dealer touch my car as long as it is working fine. I believe the problem in the "faulty" steering assist motors was related to an internal sensor which might fail.
I have not had software updates done to the car.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote