Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-07-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
Finally got 200mph,standing mile

Been working on this for 5 years now.
Finally did it. Gen 5 Camaro full weight. 4500lbs total (driver & passenger).
20" Drag radials.Right off the street.Traction control on and was only started to put the power down at 70 mph+ This was done at our local airstrip.
Gonna try to upload the video in a bit.
We did hurt the motor,Cylinder 2 died,not sure what failed yet.We thought that 1 bank got lean,but when we inspected the spark plugs and looking at the data log,everything looked good.It was actually a little on the rich side.Will take it apart before winter and fix it.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2023, 06:17 PM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
That is freaking awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of power does it take to do that?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
JMI

Old 09-07-2023, 06:27 PM   #4
JMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
That is freaking awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of power does it take to do that?

Not sure what is was making at the time.Last year,On fuel and meth,it was at 1100RWHP. This year,we were on ethanol,but hadn't had a chance to put it on the dyno this year. Will fix and see what it will do for a 1/4 mile run at the local dragstrip with the 15" wheels and beadlocks and will try it one more time on the dyno.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:28 PM   #5
larry_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
Not sure what is was making at the time.Last year,On fuel and meth,it was at 1100RWHP. This year,we were on ethanol,but hadn't had a chance to put it on the dyno this year. Will fix and see what it will do for a 1/4 mile run at the local dragstrip with the 15" wheels and beadlocks and will try it one more time on the dyno.
Wow, I would have guessed more like twice that. I'd love to give a standing mile a try once I'm done with my next round of updates.

830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Awesome achievement, unfortunate about the motor but well done nonetheless.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Oh my!! That's really cool!! Nicely done sir... Sad that you hurt the engine though. Thanks for the ride!
Old 09-18-2023, 01:54 AM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

Disclaimer: I certainly don’t ever mean to patronize, and I hope this isn’t taken that way… Some already know a lot of this, or some of it, and some don’t… I’m always happy to share my experiences… and pass on helpful tidbits along the way… End of Disclaimer…

The Camaro, 5th Gen, typically is considered to need 1000 RWHP to go 200 mph in a mile, though it has been accomplished with 850 or so when all the stars align… Vettes are considered to need reliably 800 or so, to accomplish it…

The rub is, it’s incredibly hard on drive trains…

Say stock, just for giggles, you go to a drag strip. You run low 13’s, high 12’s or thereabouts. Your compadre is running low 12’s, high 11’s, with almost stock power… He added long tubes, a CAI, and gears. He switched out to say 4.10’s, he launches quicker, and accelerates faster… He given up top speed for the acceleration… If he runs a mile race, he’ll probably run out of gear and bounce off the rev limiter for a 1/2 mile…

Now, you can run a mile with the factory gearing, what 3.45’s for a manual car… or 3.23 for the auto, if memory serves… At stock power, no issue, and you might manage 160, if the speed limiter is removed… That’s a stretch… you’ll pull pretty hard through 5th gear, but 6th won’t gain you any more… wind and rolling resistance are exponential and ever present…

Now, up the power to say 900 or more, and change out the gears… and while you have a lot more top end, you lose the bottom, to some degree… To take advantage of the power your mods add, you go to a taller gear… say, 3.07’s… Your 0-60 sucks but holy heck when you finally get into and stay in the power… You don’t want to get into 6th gear, and with the improved build, maybe you run a higher rpm… and you load it up for a mile… It’s brutal… I’ve seen many a combatant, myself included going home on a trailer with lots of oil leaks, or windows in the block, etc etc etc…

My typical comparison is a 10 speed bicycle.., I’m old, that’s what we had…

1/4 mile racing… gears used… 1, 2, 3, 4, done…. Easy pedaling, quicker acceleration… less fatigue…

Mile Racing… Gears used, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, same bike, you’re blown out, tired, everything is stressed… Same thing with the cars…

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some “expert” claim, “well my buddy has a 4th Gen with a Blaupunkt stereo and a 3/4 cam, and he hits 140 in the 1/4 mile, so he could go 200 in a mile. Yeah… no… It doesn’t work that way… Your bud is completely tapped out, if, that’s true, which I am highly suspect…

Very few cars do both well, and they are usually very very expensive… and yes, they break a lot of stuff too…

Don’t forget the safety equipment in the build as well… A friend broke a ceramic brake disc in excess of 200 and rolled many times. He was fortunate.. Some rich clown showed up at an event with a carbon fiber monocoque chassis car, and he was tech limited (very expensive car) to maybe 180… (I might have a picture of it with my car and yes, I smoked him badly… His was a bit quicker, mine was a lot faster…) He argued the car was built by…(insert company) to go 200 therefore… blah blah blah… Here’s the rule book, based on our experience… including a Lamborghini going arsehole over tea kettle a number of times, at 200~~ mph…

Last thing, unless any of this leads to any other questions, read the rules very closely for the event you plan to attend. For example, the OP here mentions drag radials. The Texas Mile as an example won’t allow drag radials or slicks… and you damned sure don’t want skinnies at 200 mph… If, and you will at some point, you get sideways, you will want all the front tire you can stand… Roll a skinny off the rim and you become a Tasmanian devil, rolling like a devil and scattering parts and dust everywhere…
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 01:55 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Very well done sir…

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 09-18-2023, 06:28 AM   #10
larry_g

Thanks for the additional insight SSE. Mine is certainly not a purpose built car for any one discipline, it's just a fun all around street car. That said, I think it would be fun to have an open mile long stretch just to see what it could do or find the ceiling to my comfort level. I've never been to an event but I hope you have to test into progressively higher speed thresholds. I can't imagine trying to run 200 out of the box.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:30 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the additional insight SSE. Mine is certainly not a purpose built car for any one discipline, it's just a fun all around street car. That said, I think it would be fun to have an open mile long stretch just to see what it could do or find the ceiling to my comfort level. I've never been to an event but I hope you have to test into progressively higher speed thresholds. I can't imagine trying to run 200 out of the box.

You picked up on one of my bones of contention… There are organizations out there that have a run what ya brung mentality and there doesn’t appear to be any requirement for “leveling” up…

ECTA, (East Coast Timing Association) The Texas Mile, and some others require various passes under control, within their guidelines, or you get to try again…

For example… Since I ran the Texas Mile….

A licensed driver, by your state or country of residence, begins as a “C” driver, and you are limited to 160 mph…

First pass, you are limited to 160 mph “max.”

A controlled pass, between 140 and 160 mph, will allow you to license up to a “B” license. This doesn’t mean, go like a bat oughta hell, tap 200 and then jump on the binders and trap 155…. That will get you a very stern talking to by the race coordinator, and while I never suffered one, I’ve witnessed a lot of them… No fun… A “B” license allow you to make passes up to 199 mph, provided the car is tech’d for that speed.

A Class “A” license requires a safe controlled pass between 180 and 200 mph. For a car, if you have a license from any of a list of approved racing association, ECTA, SCRA, NHRA, NASA, IMSA, FIA, etc etc etc. will allow you to begin with a class “A” license, but making uncontrolled passes in an unsafe manner can have that removed, mandating you start out at a class “C” like everyone else.

Class “A” license holders are limited to 220 mph, providing their car has the proper tech sticker for that speed.

Now class “AA” rules have changed and I wish in a left handed way they had been this way when I was licensing up.

To qualify now, you must have a class “A” license and make two or more safe controlled passes between 200 and less than 230 mph… They have a new race organizer and he changed the rules a bit…

My steps were, class “B”, up from “C” was a safe controlled pass from 140-165 mph, or a 25 mph window. Class “A” required a safe controlled pass from 180-200, or a 20 mph window, and a class “AA” required a safe controlled pass from 205-220, or a 15 mph window… Tighter windows at higher speeds showing not just going fast, but processing events and controlling them…. I made a truck load of passes from 200-204.99 before I finally got my ”AA” unlimited license. I went 217.xx my last pass one rainy weekend as the sun was setting Sunday evening….

Now it’s two 20 mph windows and one 30 mph window, twice and you may be licensed up… You may not…

I went 210 on a license pass, got lost, on a one mile straight track, and completely missed the shut down area… Funny story to me…. Now, it was terrifying as it occurred… Nearing the end of the mile, shifting from 4th to 5th, miss it, knowing I had the required speed, I decided to shift back into 4th and ride it out… Pull the shifter down, realize I was in 6th (can’t be under power in 6th or I scatter my transmission, as it’s a factory gear, 1-5 are billet gears) so I glance down at 210 or so mph, push the shifter up around the horn into 4th gear, off the clutch, on the gas, build the boost, dang, where’s the finish line… Glance in the mirror, “OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT….. toss the chute feel the pop, on the clutch, off the gas, and jump on the brakes…. And start praying….

The track (runway) is 8000 ish feet long, 5280 of it is for accelerating, the balance is for slowing and turning off track… 2700 something…. And it’s about a 120 degree turn off, onto another runway… The track is 150 feet wide, and the turnoff is 200 feet wide if memory serves… I was way past the finish line when the chute hit at 210 mph, and with the nylon and hard braking, I made that turn starting into at better than 100 mph, and the car bounced around the turn like a dragster on a locker…. I collected several cones and a few weeds in my chute, and a load in my drawers…. Several track officials started my way only to turn back when they saw m driving away from the turn off at a sedate controlled 20 or so mph….

Primary official came up in his truck as I was picking up the chute… and stated, “that was a license pass???”

I replied, it was an attempt, but if that’s the best I can do, I don’t need the “AA.”

He laughed and agreed with me, asked if I needed anything and I told him a clean pair of drawers… He did mention, he had seldom seen anyone cruise through the end trap, then go into gear and continue accelerating well past it… I replied, “I got lost” we both lost it… I went back and did it again and licensed up…. With a smooth safe straight easy 217 mph pass…

Bare in mind, the speedo goes to 180, the DIC stops at 167 I think, so it’s gear and rpm’s after that… with a 15 mph window to hit…

Most fun I ever had with my clothes on….
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2023, 11:03 PM   #12
larry_g

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #13
JMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Disclaimer: I certainly don’t ever mean to patronize, and I hope this isn’t taken that way… Some already know a lot of this, or some of it, and some don’t… I’m always happy to share my experiences… and pass on helpful tidbits along the way… End of Disclaimer…

The Camaro, 5th Gen, typically is considered to need 1000 RWHP to go 200 mph in a mile, though it has been accomplished with 850 or so when all the stars align… Vettes are considered to need reliably 800 or so, to accomplish it…

The rub is, it’s incredibly hard on drive trains…

Say stock, just for giggles, you go to a drag strip. You run low 13’s, high 12’s or thereabouts. Your compadre is running low 12’s, high 11’s, with almost stock power… He added long tubes, a CAI, and gears. He switched out to say 4.10’s, he launches quicker, and accelerates faster… He given up top speed for the acceleration… If he runs a mile race, he’ll probably run out of gear and bounce off the rev limiter for a 1/2 mile…

Now, you can run a mile with the factory gearing, what 3.45’s for a manual car… or 3.23 for the auto, if memory serves… At stock power, no issue, and you might manage 160, if the speed limiter is removed… That’s a stretch… you’ll pull pretty hard through 5th gear, but 6th won’t gain you any more… wind and rolling resistance are exponential and ever present…

Now, up the power to say 900 or more, and change out the gears… and while you have a lot more top end, you lose the bottom, to some degree… To take advantage of the power your mods add, you go to a taller gear… say, 3.07’s… Your 0-60 sucks but holy heck when you finally get into and stay in the power… You don’t want to get into 6th gear, and with the improved build, maybe you run a higher rpm… and you load it up for a mile… It’s brutal… I’ve seen many a combatant, myself included going home on a trailer with lots of oil leaks, or windows in the block, etc etc etc…

My typical comparison is a 10 speed bicycle.., I’m old, that’s what we had…

1/4 mile racing… gears used… 1, 2, 3, 4, done…. Easy pedaling, quicker acceleration… less fatigue…

Mile Racing… Gears used, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, same bike, you’re blown out, tired, everything is stressed… Same thing with the cars…

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some “expert” claim, “well my buddy has a 4th Gen with a Blaupunkt stereo and a 3/4 cam, and he hits 140 in the 1/4 mile, so he could go 200 in a mile. Yeah… no… It doesn’t work that way… Your bud is completely tapped out, if, that’s true, which I am highly suspect…

Very few cars do both well, and they are usually very very expensive… and yes, they break a lot of stuff too…

Don’t forget the safety equipment in the build as well… A friend broke a ceramic brake disc in excess of 200 and rolled many times. He was fortunate.. Some rich clown showed up at an event with a carbon fiber monocoque chassis car, and he was tech limited (very expensive car) to maybe 180… (I might have a picture of it with my car and yes, I smoked him badly… His was a bit quicker, mine was a lot faster…) He argued the car was built by…(insert company) to go 200 therefore… blah blah blah… Here’s the rule book, based on our experience… including a Lamborghini going arsehole over tea kettle a number of times, at 200~~ mph…

Last thing, unless any of this leads to any other questions, read the rules very closely for the event you plan to attend. For example, the OP here mentions drag radials. The Texas Mile as an example won’t allow drag radials or slicks… and you damned sure don’t want skinnies at 200 mph… If, and you will at some point, you get sideways, you will want all the front tire you can stand… Roll a skinny off the rim and you become a Tasmanian devil, rolling like a devil and scattering parts and dust everywhere…

No worries, glad you took the time to post your experience.
I figured I would try to go to 200 and if it happends,it happends,if not, I'm not gonna cry about it. I did it,so I won't need to go again.

It was kinda fun to run against the local exotics that some has a value of over $500 000 dollars and that they think they are crazy fast and you blow the doors off them in a old Camaro. lol.... Was pretty much the oldest car there.
I don't think a Camaro is designed to go 200 mph anyways. But it was solid as a rock.I was surprised. But anything can go wrong. It was fun while it lasted,and I might as well retire while the car's wheels are on the right side of the road.
Once the engine is fixed,will see what it will do in the 1/4 mile,Last time we went to the dragstrip, it ran a 10.00 at 140.85. Back then,we only had about 750rwhp,so, if I can get a 9 something,then, that's it for me. I even have all the stock parts that I removed from the car,so I may put it back to stock if needed.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:30 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
No worries, glad you took the time to post your experience.
I figured I would try to go to 200 and if it happends,it happends,if not, I'm not gonna cry about it. I did it,so I won't need to go again.

It was kinda fun to run against the local exotics that some has a value of over $500 000 dollars and that they think they are crazy fast and you blow the doors off them in a old Camaro. lol.... Was pretty much the oldest car there.
I don't think a Camaro is designed to go 200 mph anyways. But it was solid as a rock.I was surprised. But anything can go wrong. It was fun while it lasted,and I might as well retire while the car's wheels are on the right side of the road.
Once the engine is fixed,will see what it will do in the 1/4 mile,Last time we went to the dragstrip, it ran a 10.00 at 140.85. Back then,we only had about 750rwhp,so, if I can get a 9 something,then, that's it for me. I even have all the stock parts that I removed from the car,so I may put it back to stock if needed.
Like my photo above with multi-hundred thousands worth of cars on either side of me, it’s fun to smoke their butts with an old SS…

You done well sir… If you ever go again, remove the side mirrors and the weatherstrip rubber on the top of the firewall… If you have any spoiler on the back other than the lip spoiler, remove that and reinstall the lip spoiler… You’ll be amazed at the mph you pick up… The removal of the weatherstrip will calm and hood bounce/vibration, and it’ll decrease front end lift from air getting stuck under the hood and struggling to find a place to exit… It also helps reduce under hood temps…