The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #57
Gettingood
2016 2SS NPP MRC Glowtie

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Haven’t people had the TC replaced only for the shudder to return? Maybe they replaced the TC but still used the old fluid?
Picked mine up from the dealer Thursday for the second TC change was told the new fluid was used both times. Its still shuddering
Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #58
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingood View Post
Picked mine up from the dealer Thursday for the second TC change was told the new fluid was used both times. Its still shuddering
Hmm, that’s not good. How many miles on the first and second TC and when was your car built?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #59
Gettingood
2016 2SS NPP MRC Glowtie

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Hmm, that’s not good. How many miles on the first and second TC and when was your car built?
Purchased my car in Feb of 2016. I had the triple flush at 15000 mi The first TC at 20000 mi and the second TC at 21500 mi. The triple flush helped for about 3000 mi and then the shudder came back and became steadily worse. The First TC lessened the shudder but it did it on the way home from the dealer. Within 1000 mi it was like driving over a wash board on a daily basis. The 2nd TC took 2 days to start shuddering again. I spent $48,000 on this car and have not enjoyed driving a mile in over a year. I am a my wits end and don't really know what to do next.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #60
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Purchased my car in Feb of 2016. I had the triple flush at 15000 mi The first TC at 20000 mi and the second TC at 21500 mi. The triple flush helped for about 3000 mi and then the shudder came back and became steadily worse. The First TC lessened the shudder but it did it on the way home from the dealer. Within 1000 mi it was like driving over a wash board on a daily basis. The 2nd TC took 2 days to start shuddering again. I spent $48,000 on this car and have not enjoyed driving a mile in over a year. I am a my wits end and don't really know what to do next.
Wow, definitely feel for you on your problems.

Assuming you haven't been back to the dealer since the second converter?

I'd bring it back again, with the most recent fluid write up in hand (from the GM team lawyers). I'd mention that you're on this site and you'll be following up with the Camaro 6 group on the status, and potentially, the Camaro team (as I believe they read some of these posts).

Next: I'd also ask if they can get a regional rep involved, maybe get some goodwill dollars toward trade assistance (if they can't truly fix the issue very soon). Doesn't hurt to ask...

Keep us informed please, good luck
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #61
RockerC

Drives: 2016 SS, NFG, MRC, NPP, Auto
Quote:
Do you happen to have any paperwork that shows they used the latest recommended fluid?
I can't find the invoice for the TC change but will get a copy when I go to Central Chevrolet in West Springfield, MA next Wednesday.

I do have the invoice for the original triple flush and that was done with PN 19353429.

thanks for any help you can provide,

-bill
RockerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #62
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerC View Post
I can't find the invoice for the TC change but will get a copy when I go to Central Chevrolet in West Springfield, MA next Wednesday.

I do have the invoice for the original triple flush and that was done with PN 19353429.

thanks for any help you can provide,

-bill
That’s the part number for the Mobil 1 fluid. At this point I would be trying to get them to give me a whole new trans. Then run a range or diablo sprint to keep it out of afm.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #63
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Very informative

Thanks Al,

I appreciate your candor. As the production date for my 2017 was after you changed the fluid used in production I hope this issue will not be a concern for me personally.

I do wonder though how I would feel if I had a Camaro A8 with the original/old/inadequate fluid and no symptoms. I think I would want the fluid changed before I had issues. Would you advise this?

Best Regards,

Jeff Fox

PS: I quite enjoy my Camaro, this forum and your and Team Camaro's willingness to interact with Camaro owners and answer questions! Kudos!
Please keep it coming.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #64
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
Jeff, I am that person with my 2Ss build around 1st qtr 2016. Havnt had issue at 13000 but am just waiting. Still can't understand how GM can state that if i havnt had it yet chances are that i will not. I have plenty of warranty time but am tempted to push my dealer into at least flusing now and not waiting.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #65
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwright4 View Post
Jeff, I am that person with my 2Ss build around 1st qtr 2016. Havnt had issue at 13000 but am just waiting. Still can't understand how GM can state that if i havnt had it yet chances are that i will not. I have plenty of warranty time but am tempted to push my dealer into at least flusing now and not waiting.
The dealers are generally not going to perform work without witnessing the symptom but might be worth a shot to bring it in and ask.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #66
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Agreed

Quote:
The dealers are generally not going to perform work without witnessing the symptom but might be worth a shot to bring it in and ask.
I think this is what I would do. Never hurts to ask. If there are no symptoms I would investigate the cost of having it done. Perhaps GM could offer a discounted rate on the job? Hope all goes well.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #67
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
I'd think you'd fall under lemon law by now.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #68
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Wow, some of you guys are really taking Al's cleverly designed response as total gospel. Im not sure if its a lack of understanding, or just plain refusal to accept the truth. So many questions UN-answered.
If there was a build date cut-off, why doesn't GM recognize it? Why weren't dealers ever informed of this information? Why does the TSB specifically list current 18's including the Camaro? Why are dealers still performing the "FIX" on 18's? If fluid was the root cause, how come there are so many examples of shudder returning? The torque converter you say? Ok, how about the guys who got the flush and a torque converter only to have shudder return again? How about the countless examples of tuner's eliminating shudder permanently? How about the fact that nothing changed fluid wise or internally in the transmissions for 2018, yet Global warranty claims are down dramatically? Ect..Ect..
You guys can believe what you want, but the proof is there. I will circle a few critical areas on my previously posted document, since there still seems to be some confusion on that subject... Once again "EOP"= End of Production.
If GM could plug in a USB Update patch and "fix" this they would.

Think about the economics of it. Pay dealer x amount to Flush, drive, flush, drive, flush, change torque converter.

Or....10 min Trans update.

I think a trans update will force GM to go back into EPA MPG ratings and redo all the tests...then a more deadly lawsuit and fines from the government.

The bottom line still remains the factory fluid breaks down under high temp...like any trans fluid. Temp is the life of the fluid. The harder you drive the car...the sooner the issues. So that is the large variable for who sees issues and when. It's not a matter of "If" it is truly a "When" it happens on your car.

I feel your pain on the shudder concern. Around 10k miles mine started. Dealer couldn't find it with several attempts (service clearly sucks). At 23k miles I changed it to Amsoil and instantly solved the problem. No more shake, shake, shake.

Ever since Knock sensors have been placed in the cars some slip has been added to the transmission. Without this the knock sensor starts picking up false vibrations and does it's job.

EDIT: Added Info: The factory fluid at 23k miles looked like muddy water. I was expecting a red, or dull red tint. NO! Take some black dye or ink and put a few drops in water. That is what factory fluid looked like. I was shocked by what it looked like.

My process for changing the fluid:
1) 10 micron external filter attached in place of lower front cooler.
2) 20 min run going into each gear repeated times: PRNDM DNRP
3) Remove filter and start car and pump fluid from pan. (measure fluid in QTs)
4) Drop pan and pour remaining fluid into measured QT container.
5) Replace pan filter and added 2 rare earth magnets to back of pan
6) Use drill pump and fill from cooler line all fluid that was pumped out (new fluid)
7) Start car again and measure fluid pumped out (dumping torque converter and filling with new fluid)
8) Repeat 6 and 7 until fluid went from "black water" to red fluid

Topped off fluid and again repeat PRND sequence

I put the car in track mode and headed out. seen fluid temp hit 240* with minimal spirited driving.

I'm believe in Amsoil! For over half the life of my car it had shudder (started 10k, changed at 23k.... 13k miles)
This solved the issue and no more shudder. (I will fully eat my words and inform everyone if the shudder returns!)

Last edited by awrj2000; 05-01-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added info
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #69
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
And yet we fail to address the TCM tune proven solution.... I mean you have TCM re-flashes and fluid flushes. Pray tell how do you reflash a 2017 security locked tcm in that visit? I'm not saying GM doesn't have a way to access said tcm but what are they re-mapping exactly?

It consistently reminds me of first time drive reviews on how these cars felt really numb eventhough they were really fast. GM done messed up and until something fails onroad and causes a fatality accident all your gonna get is this proven band-aid solution that only works maybe half the time at best.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #70
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
A secondary thought on this issue is the "Transmission Line Recall"

Change line and flush fluid... So it's GM's way of saying we messed up and trying to change all the cars affected, but we not admitting fault of all cars.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote