Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Don't let someone else program your key fob!

I finally broke down and got a new key fob since my original buttons were shot and missing. I went to Chevy and got a new fob (I know, over paid vs Amazon or eBay but I've had bad luck with Amazon fobs) and was given the kit to have a new fob with a crappy looking key to go with it. The fob was a switchblade minus the blade. I took my blade from my original key and swapped it to the new fob and it took less than 10 seconds to program the new fob. The "stealership" wanted an hour of labor at $140/hr. Needless to say, YouTube how to program a new key and do it yourself.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Do you have a link to the video that you used?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #3
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Do you have a link to the video that you used?
I looked up three so I didn't screw anything up. They all said the same thing.

https://youtu.be/fc9dRwShCMI

https://youtu.be/qJ-0BMvJ5fA

https://youtu.be/L71pZLrDtgw

If you have a key is the easiest. Turn the car on, but don't start it. Wait for the security light to turn off. Then turn the key off, remove it, and insert your new key and turn the car on but don't start it. The car will say "3 keys programed" or however many you have programed. That's it. Your new fob is programed.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
The real fun begins when you have the recall key and no blade in the fob! Have fun with that one....lol
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
pyroguy

Search on here. There's plenty of people who have dissected their recall key and found that it was a blade key dipped in plastic. They then proceeded to reinstall their blade back in their key fob.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
My wife would lose a key if it was taped to her arm. I think I've had to purchase 3 or 4 keys over the years (for the camaro). I purchased them from ebay and had the dealership cut them (told them I ordered it from Chevy website). They didn't charge me to cut them, and then programmed them as per instructions found on this forum.

Easy, and it has worked every time for me (2010 2SS/RS).
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #7
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Search on here. There's plenty of people who have dissected their recall key and found that it was a blade key dipped in plastic. They then proceeded to reinstall their blade back in their key fob.
I'm not cutting apart a $80 transponder key for a $2 blade. The blades are available separately. I did the recall on my own car and kept the blades in my remote as well as added the separate transponder key. Owning 5 GM vehicles it's nice not having to have 5 remotes hanging on my key ring. Only drawback is when you unlock the door with the key, the horn blows until you turn the ignition.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I'm not cutting apart a $80 transponder key for a $2 blade.
You're getting ripped off if you bought them for $80. They are $10 at the dealership. And as said above, those keys aren't transponder keys as there is no chip in them. It is just plain solid plastic.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Agreed, I’m pretty sure I remember reading on here that the transponder is still in the fob when they do the key recall.
I ordered a blank switchblade key from EBay for the old car, had a locksmith cut it on their fancy laser cutter that the dealer didn’t have, then programmed it on my own. East to do and I was into it less than $50 all in.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I had both of my factory key fobs replaced by Battery & Bulbs store. They had
them in stock and I was in and out of there in less than an hour. There's a few
of these stores here in Florida but I don't know about other States. Hassle free
and inexpensive.

They are actually BATTERY + BULBS on line.

Last edited by myold88; 06-25-2022 at 12:58 PM.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:20 PM   #11
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I bought 2 key blanks and I just need to get them cut and figure out where.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #12
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You're getting ripped off if you bought them for $80. They are $10 at the dealership. And as said above, those keys aren't transponder keys as there is no chip in them. It is just plain solid plastic.
You are incorrect! It is a transponder key. I work at "The Dealership", and they are not $10 either!
Old 06-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #13
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Agreed, I’m pretty sure I remember reading on here that the transponder is still in the fob when they do the key recall.
I ordered a blank switchblade key from EBay for the old car, had a locksmith cut it on their fancy laser cutter that the dealer didn’t have, then programmed it on my own. East to do and I was into it less than $50 all in.
The transponder is in the key, but you are correct that the old set up has the transponder in the fob. When you do the recall you are simply removing the metal blade from the fob and programming a separate transponder key to the car. The original transponder remains in the fob but is inactive because it's not close enough to the sensor in the column. This is what makes programming a new fob so difficult. With the old switchblade key, when you program the immobilizer you simultaneously program the remote functions of the fob to the car. With the separate key you can't get the fob close enough to the exciter ring in the lock cylinder for it to program.

I use only the recall key on my Camaro, and I also cut another of those key blanks and programmed it to my wife's Cruze. I use them independently without the remotes to cut down on bulk on my key ring. So obviously, there's a transponder inside the key!
Old 06-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS

These keys are not transponder keys. The head on them is solid plastic. There are numerous threads on this forum that proves this so there is no point in arguing it.

And you're right, the key isn't $10. I just looked up the actual price and I can order a new blank key from my dealership for $12.95. My bad, I was off by $3.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote