Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #43
Mark0Maro

Drives: Camaro
Why would I post fake stuff? Lol.

Seriously, I just mentioned my experience with Stabil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
That's BS. I have been using Sta-Bil for 6 months of winter storage since 2010, and never a problem.

Why do people post fake stuff like this?
Mark0Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #44
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0Maro View Post
Thanks..
The positive battery terminal is like an inch away from the trunk insulation. That’s what I’m worried about. What do you guys think?
Since this is pretty much hidden I would fabricate something unless I could get the real part cheap. Get a short length of 1" or maybe 1.5" poly tubing, slit it, slide it over the positive cable and maybe trim for better fit around the terminal as needed. Hold in place with cable ties.
I think this is a safety device worth having in case of a serious rear end collision which might move the battery and rupture the fuel tank. Unlikely, but worth insuring for about $1 of plastic.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #45
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
There are a couple of fuses, a bus bar in addition to the battery post clamp under that cover. A lot of different "touch points" for the positive side of the battery that are not greatly protected w/o the cover.

The p/n is 84081785 (at least for 2016 convertible). I doubt the coupes and later model years use a different part number, but I can't confirm this. You can only purchase the full fuse block with clamp and cover as a unit. The cover cannot be purchased alone. Replacement should be around $100 when all costs are factored in.

The cover is not critical for the vehicle to function, but provides extra assurance that you or anyone in the trunk doesn't accidentally short the battery to the body directly.

When I bought my car that post clamp block was jacked as well: cut, broken and modified presumably during a previous battery replacement. I bought a new one, but have yet to install it because I was able to keep the old one functional enough for now. Looks like damaging that part is probably a pretty common occurence.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #46
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You should be able to purchase a used cover from your local salvage yard (if they have a Camaro) or have one shipped from a seller on car-part.com. There are also some dismantlers who list individual parts like this on eBay if you haven't checked there yet.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #47
Mark0Maro

I went ahead and ordered that new part from Gmpartsdirect.com just for peace of mind. For $66 plus shipping.

And yes, it’s impossible not to break it , installing a new battery.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #48
Mark0Maro

Like this one.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...block-84081785

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../84081785.html
Old 03-23-2022, 04:49 AM   #49
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0Maro View Post
I went ahead and ordered that new part from Gmpartsdirect.com just for peace of mind. For $66 plus shipping.

And yes, it’s impossible not to break it , installing a new battery.
???
I’ve R &R’d my battery every winter for 5 years and never broke anything.

Edit: actually 4 years; the first year I didn’t remove it, only put a tender on it and it froze and killed the battery.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:31 AM   #50
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
???
I’ve R &R’d my battery every winter for 5 years and never broke anything.

Edit: actually 4 years; the first year I didn’t remove it, only put a tender on it and it froze and killed the battery.
Same.. I take my battery out every winter. (It's in my basement right now). Never broken anything taking it out or putting it back.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #51
Mark0Maro

I don’t know, some guys break that cover over the positive terminal and some don’t.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:18 AM   #52
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Butting myself into this since I’m looking into another Camaro with a related issue.

My 2016 I bought in 2019, did not have the plastic cover installed, since then I’ve been in a hydroplaning incident where the left side hit a median and about 60k miles without the cover. I’d say it’s a precaution, would probably buy a new one if it is under $100 but I actually have my original I think. It’s just broken from the previous owner I guess lol!

I’ve also jump started from this trunk a good number of times as I’m pretty sure my starter has a drain or something. Once even got some sparks trying to fit the positive onto the whole connection haha

The part number supplied earlier is the same across the board I believe, comes as the cover and the fuses together.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #53
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
When was the last time you saw a Camaro with body rust? 1985?
Good question. My neighbor has a 2005 F150 that he took meticulous care of, but it has several rust holes you can stick a fist thru. My 2008 Silverado is just now showing a little bubbling paint around the back fenders. Its the salty roads. I was just in Dallas, and it’s amazing to see how many old vehicles with no rust.
All that being said, there are several threads with comments about garage queens…. Just drive it they say…. Why buy a car you don’t drive they say.
I have my daily driver, and I have my SS vert for weekends. I keep it in the garage, and use the factory summer only tires. Driving a 455 hp rear drive convertible in the winter, isn’t wise.
But heck, maybe in ten years, I won’t have to look at bubbling paint on the fenders….
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:41 PM   #54
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
Good question. My neighbor has a 2005 F150 that he took meticulous care of, but it has several rust holes you can stick a fist thru. My 2008 Silverado is just now showing a little bubbling paint around the back fenders. Its the salty roads. I was just in Dallas, and it’s amazing to see how many old vehicles with no rust.
All that being said, there are several threads with comments about garage queens…. Just drive it they say…. Why buy a car you don’t drive they say.
I have my daily driver, and I have my SS vert for weekends. I keep it in the garage, and use the factory summer only tires. Driving a 455 hp rear drive convertible in the winter, isn’t wise.
But heck, maybe in ten years, I won’t have to look at bubbling paint on the fenders….
Come down to Houston, last time we had real snow was 2017 right before Harvey, the time before that I think was right before Ike. Guess the next time we get snow we’ll have another hurricane in the news lol

We had the roads salted during the last freeze but that turned to be more precautions than anything after the last one. I’d say the more common thing here would be shotty body repair

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 05-21-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #55
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Come down to Houston, last time we had real snow was 2017 right before Harvey, the time before that I think was right before Ike. Guess the next time we get snow we’ll have another hurricane in the news lol

We had the roads iced during the last freeze but that turned to be more precautions than anything after the last one. I’d say the more common thing here would be shotty body repair
I have family down there. They just text the other day saying it was 111 degrees. It's only May... Could never live down there, I hate the heat.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #56
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I have family down there. They just text the other day saying it was 111 degrees. It's only May... Could never live down there, I hate the heat.
Yeah I'm certain the only place that beats us in heat in the US is Arizona, this week has been reaching 100 and it's not reached peak heat yet.

My sister lived in Pheonix for a few years and knew a few people who had their dash melt from the heat