The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
A little advice on paint issues please

I just bought a new Mazda CX5. I had noticed before I brought it home that apparently a rock had skipped from the middle front of the hood, to back driver side of hood to the top of the painted strip beside the windshield, leaving 3 chips down to the metal. They are in a straight line from each other so probably happened as they drove it down to Clarksville, TN., from Cincinatti, OH. There was also still adhesive in straight lines down both sides of the hood & roof, from the eggshell protective wrap. Then I noticed bad swirling on the hood. They scheduled me to come in Wednesday to get it cleaned up, polished & the chips repaired. Once it was home in the garage, We could see the swirls are all over it.

My question is this. How worried should I be that some flunkie at the dealership is going to make the swirls worse? They want to do the cleaning/polish first before fixing the chips. I now plan to get the nose & hood clear bra covered & then the whole thing ceramic coated. I just don't want them to make the paint worse for the guys preping it for these coatings.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
My $.02, and I'm a former pro body man and worked for 2 dealers in the early 90s; if you are paying someone to detail it that way, skip the dealer. 99% of the employees at a dealer do not understand or truly care about paint correction.

I have always been a killer body man and painter, but I learned 1000% more from the Junk man, Dylan at Adam's, Adam, etc. on this forum. I never really got it until I learned it here; point being, most body shop and dealership employees don't have the time, the knowledge, or the passion to learn.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post

My question is this. How worried should I be that some flunkie at the dealership is going to make the swirls worse?.
My answer. Very worried.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:14 PM   #4
RubyCamaro
Jan

What about the paint chips? They want it cleaned up first to fix them. Or should I just say F' it & not let them do anything to it. Maybe try to get them to chip in some $ to getting it done right or a discount on some mud guards or something? Just hate for them to be completely off the hook for delivering a brand-new car in that shape.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
What about the paint chips? They want it cleaned up first to fix them. Or should I just say F' it & not let them do anything to it. Maybe try to get them to chip in some $ to getting it done right or a discount on some mud guards or something? Just hate for them to be completely off the hook for delivering a brand-new car in that shape.
I would have them fix the paint chips. Why start with a brand new car with chips in the paint and you haven't even broke it in yet. I'm not sure I would worry a whole bunch about the existing swirls, as that should be addressed by the detailer before applying a ceramic coating. I would just tell them to fix the paint chips, as you were going to get it detailed and coated by someone else.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks guys. Pretty much what my gut said.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Agreed. If they had a great body shop, I'd consider getting the hood pain,but I'd need to know they did great work. Some do, some do not.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALER!

I had my car recently fixed, and they got overspray on the entire car.

It went from glass to a 10-year-old paint job. They even F'd up the new paint.

Fortunately, they copped to it and it's going to a detailer on their dime. Hopefully they can get them all out. Even if they do, it has been/is a headache getting it straightened out.

Also, this dealer was rated as a "top 10 body shop" for several years straight and had several other recent awards too. So, do not go by that either.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Update: The dealership is going to pay the shop of our choosing to do the paint correction & then we will pay him to do the ceramic.